For the hardcore

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by CWT 3000, Aug 27, 2012.

1. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Just curious how many of you use play calling sheets?

I'm honestly thinking about building one this year to help plan out games more. In the past I just winged it with the Vikes playbook, because I had used it for the last 4 or 5 years and had it memorized. Unfortunately I got into a habbit of calling the same 5 or 6 plays and just got into bad playcalling habbits.

I need some tips on how to create a play calling sheet. Should I go through each play in my teams playbook and categorize it by yards per play? I'd like to eventually have something so I can organize and prepare for games better and hopefully script the first 10-15 plays to set the tone for Brees and company.

2. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

That is a little too hardcore for me...I have never used a play calling sheet but I am interested to hear what others in the league do to prepare if anything....Any type of play calling sheet or whatever your method is please share....at least a little :)

3. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

Honestly? With the exception of week 1 season 1 I go to the stat screen and try and figure out where they throw it and the run to throw ratio. Intended receivers and look at which lineman gave up the most sacks and who is impenetrable.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

No way...too much work!

5. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

This. I dont even scout my opponents stats'. Maybe this is why I lose so much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I never done a playcall sheet....as you come more comfortable with a PB, you will learn a lot of great plays and learn how to execute. I am always the raiders book so i use the same book throughout, so i become an expert at a book instead of trying to find a book that works.

7. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Being a hardcore Vikings fan, I've always used their playbook as well. Unfortunately, it's always been a very vanilla playbook with little to no creativity (although that's on par with their real-life play-calling), which has always lead me to getting bored with my own play-calling to the point that I usually end up switching playbooks 1.5 seasons into each release.

8. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Personally, the way I script my opening plays are:

I usually do the typical run on first, run on second, pass on third and 4+ or run on 3 or less, you know?

One thing I"m always doing is trying to read the defense, how they're aligned, where the corners are, where the LBs and D-Line is lined up and whether they're backed off or showing blitz. That determines whether or not I audible to a short/quick pass, PA, etc.

Also, this is just an assumption, but different styles/schemes may script a different way. So, a pass-heavy offense may use a short/quick pass like a screen or quick hitch in place of a run. Obviously a power run team will run something inside no matter what you come out in.

As for a play sheet...I can't do that lol. I just look at route depths cause they tell you what they're designed for. Slants ain't designed to convert a 3rd and 10 for you, but is obviously much better on a 3rd and 4 than a traditional flood concept. You can kind of say I go with the flow until I figure out a weakness.

9. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

I scout and still lose tho Corey.
    Simms I enjoy the NE playbook. Lot of shotgun because I have no O line and the strong I is nice to run out of with a good powerback.

10. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I'll use a call sheet and some times script the first 25 plays from scrimmage. Helps me mix up my game, forces me to use different formations and IMO makes me tougher to read on offense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

See this is what I'd like to do, but I don't even know where to start. Coming over from the TMFL I know how competitive and tough winning can be in these leagues, because I lost a lot:) I think I'd feel more comfortable organizing my plays, otherwise I suck at play calling.

12. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

Keeping all this in mind if I play you ;)

13. AgenT Smith

AgenT Smith Walk On

Week 11 in San Fran haha (y)

But knowing is half the battle.

14. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

• Like Like x 1