For those interested in video capture...

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Drifterbub, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    For those interested in video capture...

There is a sale on the Hauppauge 1212 USB HDTV capture device for $153.

Over at Dell

I think JMS uses something very similar to this (or maybe the same one).

I use the Dazzle to do mine. It's a cheap alternative, but the quality is not the same as a true HDTV capture device.

2. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I'm officially pissed

I just bought this last Friday for $223 lol.....if only I had waited a few days..DAMN

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

wow that sux!!

yes that is what I have!!!

I took a break from recording games last season. I will be recording the 4 user games I have this season.

4. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Question for you JMS.....my TV is far away from the computer so I will have to buy a very long USB extension

Will that affect the quality of the recording?

Also how did you hook yours up, do I need some couplers to loop the connection from the 360/PS3? That's how I had my HAVA hooked up

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

U dont need anything.....that device has that built in.

You plug the 360 component cables into the Haupp then you need another set of component cables that go to the TV.

Power to an outlet and USB to a CPU.

Dont update the Software though...check first. I updated and the freaking thing wouldn't work anymore.

I am not sure if the longer usb cable will affect much. It might affect the delay on the screen but that shouldn't matter. You should get a laptop.......

Also make sure you have a VERY LARGE hard drive. If you record a whole game it is a few gigs of data. Converting them takes hours.......it is an overnight job.

6. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yeah I just copped a new PC with 500 GB hard drive....I have external HD though....250 GB...with my HAVA, I recorded to the external, not the PC's HD.....would that be possible with the PVR?

Beautiful that I don't need the couplers anymore.....

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I imagine you could record to the External if it is usb but you need the software to record I think....you may be able to just hit record from the remote control and you wouldn't need that long USB cable.

8. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Oh shit, you just gave me an idea...I wasn't even thinking about plugging the external HD directly into the PVR

I was just thinking of having the external HD plugged via USB to the PC like normal....then just selecting the external HD as my recording location

BUUUTTTT

If I go direct to the PVR, I may be able to record directly to the external HD....If that works, the only downside is, I won't be able to see what I'm recording until after I hook the ex HD back to the PC

But I'll be able to edit the video later anyway

Now if that works, and I can upload the video into Corel 12, edit and convert, I'll be golden

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yes correct but I break the video in quarters or halves. All you need to do it hit stop recording and then record and it creates a new file.

If something goes wrong at least you wont lose the whole file...plus it is easier for Corel to handle. Dropping a a huge file into Corel sometimes affects the performance of Corel. Trust me this is an imperfect process at first but once you get the hang of it, it isnt that bad. And the Haupp can be tempormental sometimes.

You should always convert into a WMV file as they are easiest to edit. Corel doesnt really like mp files.

10. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I've never had a problem with mp files in Corel

And I've loaded some big files, I'm talking over 1GB.....and I work with Corel a ton, always a smooth process for me

Of course if I need the software to record, there goes the whole direct to external HD idea

11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

My Process

1. Convert the very large TS files using ArcSoft media converter (takes hours)
    2. Bring them into Corel and Edit
    3. Convert the file in Corel (takes about 30 mins)
    4. Then Convert it again in Windows movie maker. (Takes about 5 mins)
    5. Windows movie maker can make it about half the size of the Corel video and keep good quality.
    6. Then upload to youtube as you can now load 1 gig HD files there. (takes about 30-60 mins and the HD file shows up later)

12. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Yea, that's pretty much how I used to do it with the HAVA

Except I skipped the first step, because the HAVA records as a mpeg file, so I could bring them directly into Corel without converting

Everything else from there is exactly how I do it

13. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

see if you can edit the TS files. You can import them in but they freeze up on me. I don't think you can.

Maybe my corel needs to be reinstalled

14. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Or the processing power of your computer is lacking.

what are you running?

15. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

My PC at home was only 256MB of memory...an old warhorse from 2001....I think I had 50 GB of disc space...LOL...all that, and I still ran Corel efficiently....I know jms has to be working with more power than that

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah I have a laptop with vista and 3Gs of Ram. I only have an 80G HD though........I need an external badly.

Maybe it is the Vista BS

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Could be. Is that the newest version of Corel?

I'm an adobe premier guy myself...

18. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Correct the software installs the recording/video player, converter and something else

.MT2S = AVCHD???

I didn't know that. That might work and if it faster that would make life a whole lot easier!

If I am going to pay 39.99 I would like to convert to other file formats instead of just mpeg.

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

How bout this Rhude..........http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

once you start googling this shit it will blow you mind.......there are "googles" (no pun intended) of information out there.

21. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

I believe it does other formats as well.....I saw TS listed on the sidebar as well

If I can record directly to the external HD without installing the software it comes with, I'll probably go this route

22. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Damn.....I will be in the lab tonight

edit: I see a few people say it crashes a lot

23. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Should just get yourself a cheap re manufactured laptop. You could probably get one from Dell or HP or buy.com for like $300-400.

laptops rule!

I play with 2 screens in front of me........my girlfriend calls me the mad scientist sometimes.

TV, XBOX, Recording device glowing blue, Laptop with the game, Headset, Playbook cheat sheet........too much!!

24. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

LOL

I just sprung for a new PC and this HD PVR device....not to mention a new home which I paid for some upgrades to it

I need to chill with the spending for now

25. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i hear you just wait until next year and you get your tax refund back..........DAMN!!

I got one big fat check this year and I was only in the house 6 mos