Formation, Roles, Positioning

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 29, 2010.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Formation, Roles, Positioning

We had our first game last night and while we lost a few games, it was a lot of fun and a learning experience. Part of the problem is we had a bunch of defensive minded VPs on. Another part was folks lurking into the middle and cluttering a bit too much.

So I thought i'd make this post. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. But the idea is to have almost a reference thread so anybody can join us on the field and know ahead of time what they need to do depending on how they lineup on the field.

Formation: 4-2-3-1
    [​IMG]

Center Forward
    Role: Target man for crosses and passes into the box. Ability to play with his back to the net, hold the ball up and distribute to other threats. Able to harass opposing CBs with his presence. Chief scoring threat on the team.

Offensive Positioning: He should be the furthest up field with all other players at least slightly behind him. He is either getting the two CBs to concentrate on him - opening space for other players - or the target for through balls when one of the CBs roams. Basically a magnetic force defenders need to gravitate to and always keep an eye on. He should play towards the center of the field but can move anywhere the width of the box.

Defensive Positioning: He should never venture too far to our side of the field - always providing a threat for a long ball and counter-attack. Aside from harassing defenders with the ball in their own half, he has no defensive responsibilities.

CAM
    Role: The playmaker. Has the freedom to roam anywhere on the pitch to make things happen - whether feeding the CF or scoring himself.

Offensive Positioning: Can roam to where he's got space. Plays just behind the CF, but should try and not stray too wide. Usually he's going to be in that open space around the top of the box.

Defensive Positioning: Doesn't have a lot of defensive responsibilities. Can harass when the ball is coming up the pitch, otherwise he'll tuck in to be a link between a defender winning the ball and the CF on a counter-attack.

LM/RM
    Role: More defensive minded than the CAM. Need to be able to cross balls into the box or thump from range while occasionally collapsing into the box.

Offensive Positioning: Should be about even or perhaps a little behind the CAM but out wide. Their game is either to push the ball down the wing or fake the push up the wing and push back in to the middle of the field. Should be able to fire from range or pass the ball long distances. The key is these players provide attacking width.

Defensive Positioning: While they provide width on offense, they take it away on defense, protecting the sides of the field and trying to push the attackers into the middle - hopefully into the waiting arms of the CDMs. Need to play box-to-box.

CDMs
    Role: Holding, defensive minded midfielders. Their job is to get the ball back and start the teams offensive strike.

Offensive Positioning:Should be in that space between the CAM and the defenders - so just on the attacking side of midfield. They can press and attack but need to make sure there's coverage for a counter. Need to be good passers in traffic and able to fire shots from range.

Defensive Positioning: Need to be the first line of defense against a counter, quickly getting to our side of the field and breaking up attacks before they get into the threat of scoring range. The two players should split the field in half and have the ability to roam in that area to get the ball back. With that said, the LM/RM should be covering the wings, so these guys should concentrate on the middle of the pitch - clogging the passing lanes.

CBs
    Role: Last line of defense on the counter. Strong defenders that can take the ball away and also stand up to tall, strong strikers.

Offensive Positioning: Should never venture very far into the offensive half. If they do, they'll need a CDM or LB/RB to cover them.

Defensive Positioning: Should be stationed in the middle area of the field, with an eye toward covering the opposing strikers. Should not venture far outside of the box area. Ideally any CB that keeps the attackers in front of him is doing a great job.

LWB/RWB
    Role: Usually defensive minded players, but who can also attack down the sides of the field and cross the ball into the box.

Offensive Positioning: Have the ability to fly down the wing and provide width if an LM/RM cuts toward the center of the field. Otherwise they're slightly more forward than the CBs but not as far up as the MFs can go.

Defensive Positioning: Two chief responsibilities - stop crosses from coming in from the outside, but also collapsing into the middle when needed as backup for the CBs.

2. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I love this formation IRL and in the game. My men's league team has been running it.

3. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Yeah. I didn't have the formation in mind when playing. Hopefully once we get some more matches down I will know what's going on and have this in mind.

4. BlyGilmore

you guys caught me in the middle of editing :thumbsup:

blaza lemme know if what i wrote makes sense.

keep in mind the stuff above is a guideline, but helps when trying to figure out if you should be where you're standing or not.

If you can, try to think of how Spain played in the World Cup (this is pretty much their formation).

CF is Torres - hanging in the middle and either looking to make runs on goal or holding up and passing to cutting midfielders.

LM is David Villa. Very attacking minded and looking to take balls in from the wing and push to the box.

CAM is Xavi. Playmaker ... all over the place and the default person to pass the ball to.

RM is Iniesta. Playmaker number two, less attacking minded than Villa but still a threat to push in or cross.

CDMs are Busquettes and Xabi Alonso. Roaming the middle of the field, getting the ball back and starting the attack either by pushing it to the wings, giving it to Xavi or sometimes even thumping it straight to Torres.

Capdevilla and Ramos are the wingbacks - they can constantly push up the field and harass - but fast enough to get back and cover on defense.

Then the two stalwartness in the middle - Pique and Puyol. Anything offensive they do is usually on set pieces, and vacuum cleaners on defense.

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Good stuff Bly.

The formation is good because it can change from defense to attack extremely fluidly. When in defense the wingers pinch in and drop behind the halfway line to form a 4-5-1 look. But when in attack, the wingers get wide and push up as wide strikers to form a 4-3-3 look. The Defensive duties of the wingers and wingbacks are aided by the two holding mids who basically provide cover for the wingers and wingbacks on their respective sides of the field. In real life, I love it because it allows the wingbacks (what I usually play) the opportunity to push up and attack, get crosses in, etc. without worrying about getting overly exposed on the counter-attack.

6. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Awesome stuff, Bly.

I am getting online now to work on my RWB.

7. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I like the formation, however these more elaborate formations can be tricky to get everyone on the same page. Especially when people playing might not be as formation centric or soccer minded.

I always felt a standard 442 was the way to go as it opens it up a bit more than the 4231 and the roles are a bit more defined.

That might be the issue with the clogging of the middle is because you essentially have 5 midfielders. As long as the defensive midfield pair stays defensive and the wings play the wings and allow the CAM to make plays then it will work.

Just my .02

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I too prefer a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1. However, Bly and the others know a lot more about soccer than I do, so I trust they will lead the TFC to the promise land.

9. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

I like the formation. I personally like to have L/R wings instead of midfielders but I def like this more than a 4-4-2. All we need is a bit of practice and we'll be fine.

10. MoonBBad

That is really the key. Practice and guys who know their roles on the team. If everyone converges on the ball, which unfortunately is what a lot of crappy club teams do, it's a cluster fu&k in that formation. However, if guys play their roles it might work out great.

11. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Speaking of practice... you guys going to be on tonight? I'm around doing laundry (FUCKING ADULTHOOD) all night, and I plan on getting on soon. I'm currently fresh out of NCAA games needing to be played so I'll be messing around all night.

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    We have a lot of to work on in this dept. A couple things I noticed last night:

- Spacing. We have some issues with giving space in general, but especially on offense. If we have a target guy in the box, any wingers or mid-fielders that come into the box need to give space. In general, we should have a guy at the top of the box (CDM), in front of the goal (CF), front post (CAM) and back post (LM/RM).

When attacking the CF can only go so far before he is offside, so the CAM needs to half the distance between the offside line and the RM/LM who is bringing the ball up. For those who were there last night, you need to utilize triangulated passing like Del and I were doing. It's not really my role as a CF, but we weren't bringing the ball up top too much. It's the job of the CAM to support the guys running up the sides and to allow them to GIVE the ball and then GO run into space. CDM should be there for us to switch sides and fill the role when we go to a heavier attack pressure.

I'll add more later, I completely lost my train of thought. Thanks work...

13. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

When did you and Del get on? I must have been off by then. I'm really enjoying playing RDM!

14. BlyGilmore

yeah we were having the same problem the other night (and i was as guilty as anybody). really need to watch the other players around you and move in relation to where they are and where the ball is.

15. MoonBBad

I agree. I was trying to add too much space in between the wingers. I will work on supporting the wingers more. The only issue I had were people were holding the ball too long. Too many give aways. Need to work more one one touch passing...

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yup. That's something we might want to work on in practice mode. If we can keep it away from the AI, human players shouldn't be a problem. Plus, we can get more reps in as opposed to other human players controlling the possession every game.

17. BlyGilmore

bumping this up. after playing a team last night i think we need to make sure and have those two center defensive midfielders.

we got whooped mostly because they just flooded the middle of the field and bumrushed straight up the pitch. throw two defensive minded guys in the middle to break things up and we would have done a lot better.

18. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Maybe we could try a normal 4-4-2. That might give us more control over the center of the field and a better chance to jump those passes and runs that inevitably come straight down the pipe.

19. MoonBBad

Would be easier for people to know their roles and positions more than likely. It will allow the wingers more space on the wings as well. I would play it so the target striker plays up top with a more withdrawn forward (little speedy guy) playing behind him.

--x----x----x----x-- <--straight back four
    ------x-----x------- <--two holding midfielders
    --x--------------x-- <--two wingers
    ---------x---------- <--withdrawn forward or CAM
    -----------x-------- <--one target forward (big, strong, can hold the ball)

Something like that to keep it something. I am not big on all the different formation names, but this can be a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1, depending on how the formations are laid out in the game, I am not sure.

Me personally, would prefer that CAM or wing position so I can use my speed and crossing ability to distribute the ball to the wingers and target forward. The holding midfielders can make runs pending the wingers get back to cover.

20. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

I don't know how likely this is but I just read a reply on a forum from an EA guy saying they are hoping to have server issues sorted in the next 24 hours. Hope they do.

21. BlyGilmore

only problem is in a standard 4-4-2 situation we'd have four guys in the middle of the field in some what attacking roles.

historically this has been a recipe for disaster for us because we get clogged in the middle offensively (especially if one of the wing guys comes in) - and the other team can get behind us easily.

Moon - look at the first post. essentially the same thing.

22. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We played a few last night and I have a few points.

- Our Pros (for the most part) still aren't good enough (OVR) to hold the ball in sticky situations. Strength is an issue.

- The middle of the field was still being clogged. The middle attacking mids often found themselves next to the ST instead of helping the wingers get the ball up the field. This has improved from the last time we played, but is still an issue.

- I know Moon was upset when I said this, but unlike real soccer when it doesn't matter how many are in the box, you have to stay spaced. Why? Because several times last night we had a guy lined up only to have another player come in and move that guy off the spot. This became very obvious later in the night when Del and I probably ruined two really good chances by bumping shoulders on a good cross into the box. I know I'm as bad as it as anyone, but we need to be a little more conscious about it.

- We had a few flashes of brilliance last night. I think as we play more together we will get more a feel or who makes what runs and we will start connecting more with better passes.

- Finishing is a huge issue up front. I need to work more on making the defense pay. There was a few times where I had a 1v1 or just me on the goalie and eff'd it up one way or another.

- We need a defensive minded midfielder. The more we play the better teams, the more I think he needs to be tiny and fast. Just to close space on those big lobbed passes and to chase down the inevitable speedy forwards we will face.

23. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

that was my fault we clashed mate I stupidly got in your way also what tends to happen is whatever you do with the controller doesnt matter, I turned away and still collided. I think our plan should be to have a plan on who goes where in the box with also covering the edge of the box. In real football say your attacking down the right the left winger would cut in to put an extra body for the defence to deal with n pick up the odd goal. So just a thought I know Drifter usually takes the back post area so that leaves the front post, penalty spot (very often a good place be), and the edge of the box. I think the front post is a lot of the time too far for a winger to get to so maybe the cam could take that and maybe the winger on the penalty spot or edge of the box. That way the crossover runs between all 3 can cause confusion for any defence as they arent sure which man to pick up n where hes going. I also think our wing play ie especially me can be predictable so last night occasionally cut inside which works but I end up confusing poor old Drifter lol. Also we need the stiker heading for the box whenever possible so another thought would be for the cam to head into space near the attacking winger to create a get out now and again n give us and inside attack or wing attack as well as a lay off pass for the winger if hes closed down. Possession is the key cos when lose possession to a goal kick etc we have time to retreat but when we lose possession with 5 men forward we are very open. We could also employ a tactic where by when 1 winger, cam, st is attacking the other winger moves to a more hang back mid with an aim to try and stop or slow down these counters were getting. I think at the moment we are part organised as far as who goes forward etc and are starting to know how each other plays but we need to finish the organising as far as where each player heads to on an attack and also just as important who each player tracks when defending and on corners n free kicks etc. I will do as im told (most of the time lol), corners and free kicks I always look to cover a post as a lot of goals are scored just out of the reach of the keeper. As we all know the ANY player is very hard to play well and I think we could do more to help that for instance when were under attack I will try n track a player n as soon as we get the ball i head for open space in front of the defender knowing he will be closed down quick so he has the option to play a quick layoff pass I can then pass n run to start an attack. I think we should try n not let any player with the ball get isolated there should always be an easy layoff pass for them that way we can keep a lot more possession. so say I am on the wing get closed down Drifter is the free pass I lay it off and then move into space drifter to lay a pass to me n then run into the box for my cross etc. I really think doesnt matter too much who provides the easy pass for the player in possesion because as long as we keep possession they cant hurt us right? If we attack as team and defend as a team we will be harder to beat I feel.

I think we have the basis for a good team this year if we stick at it, I love clubs and hope the team doesn't decrease or becomes inactive.

Some of these players people are making seem to be tall, strong and quick and if we can adopt these things i think it will help us out a lot.

Well that's my tuppence worth and I will do as i'm told lol. Over to you Drifter/Mutt

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    LOL, us colliding on multiple occasions was just as much my fault. I think my guy can go get anything in the box (he surprises me sometimes) and I tend to knock focus on who is taking a better angle than me. Working on it though.

As far as where I usually go in the box depends on our formation. If we are playing with the single ST up top, then I tend to setup from the penalty spot and charge into the middle of the goal. If we are playing two up top, I typically take the back post when the run is on the far side from me or the shallow middle/front post on runs to my side (unless there is just infinite space on the back post where the CAM or backside striker can't get to).

I think we also need to employ Del's pro a bit more on shots outside of the box. If we can get some movement going on between the ST, the CAM and Del's wing player, we could rotate him down with some quick passing and let him have at it from long range. Most of the teams are really packing shit into the box and making it hard to create a chance unless we are breaking away (which doesn't happen often).

25. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

That would be me! I'm hoping to be able to get on tonight.