Formation subs

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by BRUCE80, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Formation subs

Is anyone using these? What kind of subs are you using and in what sets?

I was thinking today that it would be cool to start using some other players on D in obvious passing situations.

What are our thoughts on OLB's playing DE in formations subs like dime and Qtr?

Putting a S or CB at LB in the Nickle, dime or qtrs D? It happens ya know...

I just want a group view before I start dialing up some new defensive packages.

Thanks.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I only make sure my best LBs are in on Nickle and Dime. Since alot of people run out of 3 and 4 WR sets I still want my LBs in there.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I have been looking into some of these but so far, the only ones I've been using is moving my MLB and instead using my rookie OLB who's been making plays when he's on the field.

My 2-4-5 package already uses the OLB's @ DE spots already but I don't use that formation much cuz I don't like it much yet.

4. BRUCE80

So what are your guys thoughts on moving players around?

5. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I switch my safeties around. Basically I have two that are good at covering and one that is good at run support, so in nickle and dime sets where I need more coverage I replace put in the two cover guys.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

as long as it is in the rules as far as speed and size. I don't want your 93 speed OLB playing DE on all passing downs. I mean I dont know how much it really helps. As long as you have your best players on the field I am not sure how much it matters where they are in the secondary.

I guess if someone if killing you over the middle then putting a taller and better pass coverage player there is a good move. IDK.

7. jfosh

jfosh Super

I took a look at this in the 5-2 plugging lb's at the ends...it seems to knock the overall ratings down a bunch on switches to alternate positions in this scheme...not sure how much it effects their play in the game.

But using your best cover guys in passing situations is a no brainer IMO.

8. BRUCE80

So say you call a 3-2-6, the 2 are normally LB's. What if I wanted to make one of the two lbs a S for coverage reasons?

9. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't have a problem with it and if noone else does I'm doing this myself. I have a SS who is too slow to cover receivers but strong enough to play tight ends and blitz.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

fuckin' cheesedickers

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I'm from Wisconsin, get over it.

12. jfosh

jfosh Super

Ryno lord of the Sim

13. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Yeah I tend to side with ryno here. Using the 3-2-6 out of dime and then manually subbing in a 7th db sounds cheesy as shit to me.

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Except for the fact that I onlly call the 3-2-6 in passing situations, which would mean that I'm trying to stop the pass and not the run. Plus if you look at my safeties I'm probably better suited to have my linebackers in there.

15. BRUCE80

I dont get why that is considered cheese... teams do it all the time in games and often out in the nickle set now..

4 down 1 lb and 6 dbs and its a nickle formation.

16. BRUCE80

Let me say this,

If you call qtrs which i think is the most worthless defensive set in the game you have seven dbs on the field but the allignment is terrible...and the coverage is even worse.

By running a 3-2-6 and subbing in a 7th db it allows you to line up way better allowing better coverage just from a formation standpoint.

The game really limits how you are alligned on D, players never just stand still in any D set, they are always moving around trying to get the best allignement possible to cover things or set up a zone blitz, we cant do that here because it takes advantage of AI, not sure subbing in an extra DB is messing with the AI, I think its better defensive strategy.

17. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

It's cheese cause they have a form with 7 dbs in it...quarter. the 3-2-6 has a ton of blitzes from those 2 lbs...and having a safety at one of those spots leads to cheese play. Just my opinion. Obviously majority and/or helli rules. But if u want 7 dbs to stop pass...use quarter

18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

The thing I dont like about quarters though is that if it is 3rd and 15 and the offense spreads me out I don't wnat my safeties 30 yards off the line of scrimmage.

19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I don't see nothing wrong.

Dime and moving a Lb to a safety I don't have much an issue.

20. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

I tried the LB's and Defensive End last version and Foshie had a hissy fit.

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I dunno.... I can sort of go either way on this one. OLB's at DE I've just never been a huge fan.

Safety at LB for the purpose of getting the 7 DB's on the field in a little better lineup than the existing one.... gah.... I'm glad it was brought up rather than just done, I'll go and see what it looks like in practice....

22. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

i'll frame the whole thing this way ...

would we let somebody take a wide receiver and sub him in at FB in the shotgun? even if he was a slow wide receiver, with the rationale that he'd only be used on obvious passing downs and we wanted to make sure we had a better pass catching option out of the backfield?

I'd have to say most folks would shit a brick if they were playing one of us online and we had a number 80 lined up next to the QB in the shotgun.

So how are any of these situations different?

personally i think if you want to play a safety at LB you should change him to LB in the preseason (which does happen) and he needs to be 80 speed or slower (so people aren't recruiting safeties figuring they'll take one for safety and the other as a super fast OLB) - similar to what we do with some other position changes.

23. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I knew Bly would come in and save the day....took you long enough.

24. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

sorry - went out last night lol.

forgot to add there are a ton of personnel options in the game through packages and a lot of formation options as well. if you want OLBs at DEs - that's what the 4-2-5 is. Seven DBs is called a Quarter. Six DBs is called the dime. If you don't personally like those formations ... well you have to play the game as its built like the rest of us.

(Again, just like it would be cheesy to put a WR at FB and motion him into the slot every play because you don't like that Shotgun formation given to you).

Personally I always hate this stage of the game, when people move from playing as the game came out of the box, to looking for advantages in some shady ways.

25. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Couldn't agree more with Bly on this one. Again, Helli needs to rule. But I thought the whole position change rules (ie weight and speed restrictions) were in place to nullify things like this. Like taking a 180 lb S and moving him to LB with his 92 spd. Or moving a 200lb WR with 90 spd to TE....negate things like this.

Allowing formation subs and people playing out of position type contradicts the entire thing then. Playing a S at CB...fine. Playing a C at T...fine. Similar positions/similar skill sets and attributes. Playing a S at LB, defeats the purpose. Hell if that's the case...I'm gonna run the 3-2-6 vs Mo the entire game, get my 8 best DBs on the field and move my best 3 LBs to the Dline to try to get pressure.