Forum organization.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ChickenOfTheSea, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Forum organization.

Hey HR. how difficult is it gto get more forums added to what we currently have?

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You would have to convince me that your plan for more forums would be worth it, easy to manage and would be utilized.

Trust me, the more simple you can keep it the better it will be for the league.

What did you have in mind?

3. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Idk what he wants, but I'd like a direct line to the Drifter Cave so I can inform you about all of the diabolical fiends and cheesers that find their way onto the site

4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    My hotline (pm box) is always open...

5. ChickenOfTheSea

Hey Drifter! thanks for stopping by man.

truth be told its still a brain child. we've all ben hashing out ideas to improve TMFL, boost our owner participation, keep things clean etc.

I went ahead and hit up the PMFL guys and asked how the heck they keep their forums so organized. in researching they have a few more sub forums than we do.

We have the default 8 sub-forums, PMFL has 30 something. we definitely DONT need 30. but a few more might allow us to organize better, currently we have no area for awards.
    thats one area we really are hoping to improve on. An awards forum would let us post weekly polls. Also a garbage bin in our management forum where we can archive crud would be cool.

But Honestly I have not gotten to talk to HR about what he thinks of that even. and i dont want to overstep my self.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The PMFL has way too many forums. They will regret it when it comes time to move things around and archive.

I'm a big fan of using threads where others may use a sub forum. The awards sub forum would be a good one to have. Defensive MVP, MVP, Offensive MVP, Rookie of the year should all just be threads IMO. Same thing with probowl. Then you can let them slide down and post a new one when the new season starts. You can always link back to old threads, which is the beauty of it.

7. ChickenOfTheSea

Agreed. there is a fine line between more usable space and clutter. I think a combination of the possible addition of an awards forum and controlling who starts posts, would go a long way for us.

An awards forums lets us put POTW POTG MVP ROY etc. Threads in each year. Currently those have to go in general and they get lost in the shuffle of well, general posts. and if we sticky them in general the first page+ would be stickys.

Stealing one of PMFL's ideas and restricting thread starters would allow a cleaner look and easier navigation.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I can restrict people from starting threads, but it could create a permissions night mare. The best thing to do is to have one of you guys start them each year and delete threads that other people try to start.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    As for all of the stickies, you guys should pioneer a description thread for Madden leagues by altering an NCAA description thread. This will easily combine 3-5 of your sticky threads.

All of the Madden leagues need one, I just haven't gotten around to making a template and forcing everyone to use it.

10. ChickenOfTheSea

This is really what I'm thinking of. Somewhere along the way I got the impression we cant delete threads? could be mistaken.

As for the template idea. I think I follow you. As in taking something like this and updating it for Madden?
    http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27343

11. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I don't see what your talking about in that link. We certainly need something so we can organize better.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    You can delete threads that aren't supposed to be there. For example, if someone creates a thread called "Seachicken is a boob" then obviously you don't want to just lock or close that one. If someone creates a thread about defensive MVP, then create the correct thread and have HotRod wipe the one that wasn't supposed to be there.

I think your leauge members will get the hand of it all. I really doubt there will be many that try to create threads they know the management team creates.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
  14. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

could be the oddest phrase i've ever heard.

15. ChickenOfTheSea

I may have to add that to my signature. its pretty priceless!

16. ChickenOfTheSea

Basically talking about making one description thread that would incorporate the stickied data we have in the following threads:

http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30167

http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31240

http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6379

maybe a couple others. Then if Drifter hooks us up with an awards forum all the cool stuff, power rankings, interviews, features and of course awards and accompanying polls could be located there.

Then if HotRod or one of us on the TC goes through and cleans up say the game results threadand preposts the rest of the seasons weeks. we will hopefully get a little more organization there too.

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I know for a fact that it's not even the oddest phrase you have even heard ME say...

I see I got the creative juices flowing here, my work is done...