Forums quiet?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Gotham, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

Forums quiet?

I think of of the nice things about LeaguePulse was the ability to create stories about our team/players/game summaries etc. and have it display on a main page. We could include pics and videos from our games as well.

It seems like not as many people want to use the forum for this.

Mags (and others), what do you think about using LP as the MEGA website again? Or something similar...

What happened to Styk's radio show?

2. gt86

gt86 Walk On

I think the reason for this forum being so quiet is because we have a mixture of old owners and new owners and it takes time for online friendships we had in Mega over 20 + seasons to grow and it will take time for the new guys and the old guys to get comfortible with each other and know when someone is being serious and when someone is just having fun. If the new guys went and looked at our old forum and seen some of the stuff we posted back and forth to each other they would think we all hated each other lol. That's the problem we're having right now in threads on the forum and in gameplay. We old geezers are use to things going a certain way from gameplay rules to posting summaries etc and the new guys are probably use to soemthing else in other leagues they are or were in or this may even be their first league. So just give it some time things will get better after a few seasons once everyone gets to know each other. Styk's radio show was a great thing to bridge that gap early on for sure , we could actually get know each other better i thought , but I think styk was having trouble gettng people on the show after awhile and it became allot of work for him.

3. scarface

scarface Walk On

Not to mention when you look at the forums you see that scheduling was done and dont click into the area to check if other posts were made, as was said a while back that should be changed.

And I think the old guys also look at these forums as any other forum, as when we had the old mega site and LP forums those were looked at as OUR forums where we could post anything and only MEGA guys would be there to post as they wished...remember the PRON!!!!
    these forums have alot in them and we just have a little area of our own and that takes getting used to.

4. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

Go Post in the LP Forums.

I'll be there.;)

As for the MEGA Radio Show...GOD I miss that. Too much Fun. The Season Preview Shows were the best. Brandon, Ted and I just sat there for 2 hours getting absolutely SMASHED, and digging at everyone. Good Times.

Might not be a bad idea for some of the new guys to go see what we are really all about, and visit there. You just have to go to Off-Topic Discussions, and read some of those.

If interested... http://www.mega.leaguepulse.com/ You may need to register for the Boards. Any touble, ask Mags.

5. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

what up yall. i think possibly being the end of the season may be a slow down reason on activity. i also think starting next season it would be a little more active because all the pc guys are now getting into the swing of the console world as well as the new players we will all be landing. trades, fa's, etc. ive slowly gotten in on conversations with a couple owners both old and new on random topics. just my thoughts.

6. scarface

scarface Walk On

I honestly believe a good forums set up can make or break a league and megas ols forums were top notch as far as how things should/could be run.

These are not bad but alot more sifting to get to where you want to go.

7. Stykman

With all due respect Trude, the PC guys were always into the swing of things. Keep in mind, we've been at this since Madden '03. And as far as the end of the season being a slow down, for us that's when activity picked up big time. There would be nights during the week when 27 of 32 guys were on ICQ trying to trade, and if you know what Q looks like, everyone's Q was always lit up like a Christmas Tree.

The Forums were always buzzing, no matter what time of the season. Who's wife was having a baby, who's family member was ill, who's going on a vaction, and just general experiences and stories in your day to day life.

I am NOT lumping all of the "console guys" in to what I am about to say, and I am not reffering to anyone in the current version of MEGA specifically, because frankly, I haven't talked to any of you at length. But I will say that the console guys, on 1st impression seem to be a little younger of a group. Unless you are Russ (that's a shot at him;) ) if you play in more than 2 leagues, you don't have too many responsibilities. As you get older, those things start to pile up, and your availability to be in 5 leagues is pretty limited, wife, kids, housework, and just being beat from a long day at work.

I would like nothing more than to make new friends with the new guys, but I will say that our old forums are Much more conducive to being able to get to know new people. Another discussion I may bring up at the end of the year RC Meeting.;)

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

out of curiosity, how could i modify the structure of the forums to facilitate the type of interaction you are wanting?

9. scarface

scarface Walk On

yea as styk posted go to our old forums and look how its set up...

AND GET RID OF THE DOUBLE POST NOTICES.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

you'll ask in more respectful way or the ONLY forums you will be posting in will be the LP forums..

And like i said.. post a new structure for the forums and i will accomodate the best i can... im not going to go research your old setup and replicate, just outline what you need here.

11. scarface

scarface Walk On

Please?*

12. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Whoa now, I'm 30+ and playing 4 leagues which will shrink to 2 then to none only to return when the new Madden comes out or when wifey starts giving me nasty looks. But you are right console guys are a bunch of youngins

13. scarface

scarface Walk On

You see gaddy alot of us PC old guys have not quit MEGA since it started in '01, the same league has the same core guys for years now, most of us dont quit a league and come back when a new madden comes out, we simply keep moving on, we used to carry over players and all that from previous drafts too.

for many of us madden from year to year was constant with some breaks here and there for the whole league but that is the reason most of us only play in one league, because we dont want to burn out and dont want to leave the league.
    So we just chug along with mega year after year version after version.

14. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

well, i would say generally yes.. the console crowd is a bit younger.. but from a site standpoint... the average age here is probably 25-26 years old.

The site was started by the remnants of a Madden League Pulse Franchise called the AMFL (used to be the BMFL and we existed from 2000-2007)... we shared alot of owners between MEGA/OMFL/AMFL

So if your going to play on the console, this is certainly a site that is targeted towards the older gamer demographic...

15. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

the core members here of cut from the same cloth as you hardcore MEGA guys... as we grow, we continue to try and to find coaches that are dedicated hard core guys that play the game all year, year in and year out.

16. scarface

scarface Walk On

and thats a great thing to have.

17. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Scar, I think we've done well with the additions we've had (weeding out a few guys early which ended up being a good call on my part). The games I've had with guys who were new to MEGA have been everything I would expect. Tight, fun games with good gameplay. I don't think we've had enough interaction (think of the "Who We Are" posts) from the old site to really get to know people.

This first season was everything it was intended to be as a test. Testing out the new game, the console itself, the new community, new sites, etc... It's been an adjustment from what we are used to and we can now start to tinker / improve where we see fit. As Ryno indicated, that can include forums. I also see rules, etc...

The bottom line for the us is that Tradition Football wants to maintain a group of owners across the entire community, regardless of league, who maintain the ideals we strive for. Straight gameplay, active owners, etc... There is a lot that goes on outside of MEGA that I get to see regarding owners, maintaining that level of expectation, activity in leagues. It's been good for us to share, but we can still maintain ourselves as our own intact league. Having new blood infused is a good thing, but these guys are still held to the standards we set. Now that we've run the course of a year, and we have an offseason upcoming, I'll start getting on people about summaries, activity and the stuff we used to do. It's still important to me, but more important was getting us transitioned, figuring out the crap we have on the console, and making sure we have a functional league with an advance schedule we can maintain.

18. Kan

Kan Walk On

Jesus Styk is an old fart.

We can all agree to that right?

19. coachgaddy

I think I could make it for the long haul by just staying in one league and I can try that with Mega. Your right though I burn myself out fast joining tons of leagues cause I want to stay active. I think I overload myself at times, I mean I'm constantly thinking about my next game, what I want to accomplish, scouting about my opponents, roster and depth chart moves. I do it at work and home its kinda addictive.

I will stick around in Mega to establish myself as a core guy for the long haul but I will have to cut back in my others leagues after their second season.

20. scarface

scarface Walk On

thats my point Gaddy alot of us were multiple league guys and it gets to a point where its all madden madden madden nothing else, so you end up saying F this crap I am outta here.
    Mega was always run by mags with the intent to keep the owners for a long time over multiple versions, therefore you can see your players grow and the one you drafted go far as well not just 1-2 seasons, but 3-4-5 seasons, not sure if we can do carry ovrs on the PS3 like we did on PC but that was one aspect that kept madden fresh and interesting.

21. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

you know im sure you guys had a much higher "peak" in the past with your guys. i play socom pretty religously or at least i did at one point. i was/am still in a clan called 3t> or triple threat. we were 3 clans that all played together a bunch and merged to become 3t>. anyways we were alive and kicking from the end of socom1 all the way until the last version on ps2. ps3 comes out and socom doesnt get released for an eternity. the game finally comes out and our clan still has a bunch of core members, but at the same time has a bunch of guys now who really don't know the way we used to get down. all i can really do is "remember the good ole days!"

now back to MEGA. I think it makes a lot more sense for someone to be in 1 madden league, 1 ncaa league, or whatever the games u choose to play. if im in like 3 leagues in my opinion it takes away from the shot of winning it all. i am still in the hunt to win the super bowl and if i can do it i will get a lot more satisfaction knowing this is my only league. BTW to a degree i could care less about winning it all since ive been able to play a full season of madden against guys who play the game the right way. I AM STILL ULTRA COMPETITIVE THOUGH SO PLEASE BELIEVE I WANT TO WIN IT ALL! back to the topic now.it takes away from getin to know guys in one sense because u dont have as much time althought u might meet more people by being in more leagues. u have much better chance at being on a more cool level when u interact with same people more. im in a pretty solid college dynasty on this site and im pretty much bored of that game. the only reason im playing is because of the group of guys we play with. and finally just an fyi im 32 years old. all i really care about is playing football like football should be played. i think the deeper we get into this league the more things will open up. i am definately still ina feeling out process with most people in here and to me thats not a bad thing at all. just takes time and patience to me.

22. coachgaddy

IROD, he is showing signs of weakness beat him silly tonight. LOL, JK gl to both.

23. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i setup a template for MEGA website.. i showed it to Mags a while back, it can be tweaked to publish radio show's, podcasts, YouTube etc...

you can also get your own login and post about your team in a blog style format. It's a pretty flexible platform, when you guys are ready to start utilizing it more, let me know.

www.traditionfootball.com/mega

another example that has a bit more content

www.traditionfootball.com/tmfl

and i've basically offered everything to Mags for free because he is a buddy of mine... LP cost you guys 25.99 a month and the Vbulletin version was from 9 years ago.

24. Stykman

Ryno, sometimes Scar gets, ummm...Emotional? about things. Just like we say here in Philly about The Vet...It was a Toilet...but it was OUR Toilet. Scar is an ass, but he's our ass...and we love him just the same:HoosierHoo:

Kan, decorum prevents me from firing back...but on our old forums, I would simply say, "Fuck off":p BTW, do you have a "Personal RL Update" for me? You can go to me through Q if you'd like.;)

The average age of TF Forums is 25-26??? Damn. At that age, I was just looking for my next drunken stupor. Married, 2 kids, and a mortgage later, I'm 39 in Feb. Most of the MEGA guys are minimum 4-5 years byond the average.

BMFL? WOW!!! Talk about a blast from the past. When I first discovered there were leagues Onilne, that was the 1st one I found. Never played in it, because it broke up right around the time I would have applied. There are some names from there I would mention, but I'm not sure if time has healed all wounds.

Yes, as Mags said, New Blood is good. Fresh game styles is the biggest thing. I was gettin' sick of Mags' Chuck N Duck O. And Scar's Professor RollenBomb O. And GT's Blitz Your Pants Off 3-4 Scheme. And Kan's Screen you to Death While I Manually Blitz my MLB Every Play. Not to Mention Polo's Call a Play and then Call Every Possible Audible/Hot Route/Formation Change at the Line Plays. LMAO...Good Times.

As far as the forums go, Ryno, there's no need to reseach our old forums. As a matter of fact, you posted there once. And it had nothing to do with Football. You already have the forums that we had. You have an Off Topic Area (The Cheap Seats), You have a Suggestion Forum (Site Stuff), inside every league you have some of the Game specific forums we had over on LP(Trading, FAs, etc...), and you even have your Private Forums for Administraters and League Mangement/Rules Commitee. The only difference is that we had 63 Members all time, and only about 40 of them were current...here, there are about 10 times the amount of guys.

There isn't anything you can do to make it feel more "Homey". It is what it is. TF is Really Big, and it's a Credit to you and your staff to be able to have a handle on all of it. It's just that we had our own little corner of the world, and now it's not our corner anymore. As evidenced by the fact that any one of the 600+ TF members can read everything I'm typing.

Did you ever hear the statement, "Change is very traumatic to people."? Well, this was a Big Change, more for some than others. And I think part of it is even anger directed at the fact that the PC was left out of the new games. One of our guys in MEGA PC is virtually a parapelegic. He could only play with one arm, and a keybord. Yea, I know, How the HELL did he play on the Keyboard?? Well, guess what...he can't physically HOLD a Console Controller...his Madden Career ended the day we went to Console. And he was one of our better players.

I don't want to drone on, like I just did, but like I said, it is, what it is. I think I speak for just about all the MEGA PC Guys when I say, I appreciate the courtesy you gave us to be here, and I am grateful for the offer of listening to our suggestions for chaging the forums. I'll leave that up to the masses.

25. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

I feel ya Styk.. just turned 35 last month and i've been doing online leagues now through 2 marriages, 2 kids, 3 dogs, 2 mortgages and multiple attempts by family members to intervene to stop my gaming habit.... :)

I know it's a different environment... it was an adjustment for me coming from the PC world and starting up a console league, but i tried to remain true to the type of leagues we all loved with Madden PC. That's why the place has grown so much, because it's a model that people resonate with and want to be a part of.

We have some really great leagues that have very little turnover across both NCAA and Madden... the community is laid back and really a good place to spend your time posting IMO... some really good gaming and sports talk happen around here.

Hopefully the transition gets a little easier for you, and the site improvements down the line improve your experience. Thanks for your comments.