Freaking Cougars

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mrluchini, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Freaking Cougars

Between this site, the start of fall camp, and this going independent news, I've gotten nothing done at work today!

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just caught about half a headline. What's going on with your squad again? They leaving the MWC? Where would they end up? I mean, I don't think independence is a long term goal, do you?

3. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

At this point I have NO idea what is going to happen. What seemed like a done deal yesterday is a mess now with Nevada and Fresno St joining the MWC. At this point, everything is speculation. Needless to say, the BYU message boards are blowing up!

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

If Nevada and Fresno join, and Boise joins, that's twelve, right? man, that just might be a BCS conference. Darn close at least.

5. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Ultimately what it boils down to is money. Under the current TV contract, BYU only receives about $1M - $1.2M annually. Also, bowl money is split evenly among the conference members. In the end, BYU feels its product is worth more than it receives via the TV contract and bowl money. The only way to change that is to join a better conference or go independent. Now that the MWC has gone from 10 to 12 teams, that means even less annual TV revenue per school. So, it doesn’t appear that the addition of Nevada and Fresno have made the MWC more attractive to BYU.

Unfortunately, even though this is college athletics, money is the biggest motivator, not competition. That is why we have the BCS and had the conference realignment a few months back…money.