Free Agency Suggestion for next year

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by drowsike, Feb 2, 2010.

1. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

Free Agency Suggestion for next year

I wanna suggest in the free agent fourm to put sub fourms of players postition, to make things easier to look through the free agents. It will help cut the duplicate bidding

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I hate to thread Hack.........but I have been on OMFL more than I should (considering I don't have a team). One thing that I think is more efficient is TMFL's free agent process. They are the big men on campus when it comes to Madden on TF. They do a FA draft. It really simplifies and speeds up the offseason process.

3. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

I glanced over there when they were doing that, but I didn't really understand it. How does that work?

4. Emmdotfrisk

Although the bidding is awesome and it adds for some competitiveness of battling for a player, as Nate has said there have been double posts and it is quite a long process. At TMFL they do a Free Agent Draft. Setup the same as the first year player (rookie) draft.

The rules are the same regarding averaging your top guys and cutting one above average and 2 below, ect. Cap limits are the same as well. Basically the only difference is that the FA signings are done via a draft which is determined by record. (Last place pics first). So basically there is some good talent in the FA pool for guys to pick up as long as they are under their cap.

What this does is:
    1. Makes it easier to track cap status and cap hits
    2. Speeds and simplifies the FA signing part of offseason
    3. Circulates talent throughout all 32 owners
    4. Team management is easier because it solidifies planning instead of some aspects being prospective planning.

What this omits:
    1. No bidding on FA's

This is just my opinion. I think it is a simple process and would help Winuva's as well as every owner with the cap management. If you have any further questions hotrod (commish of TMFL) is on aim and is a good dude. Hotrod9228

5. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Ya. I hate FA drafts. they take forever and they are unrealistic. this way that we do it (though can be tweaked) is the most realistic way imo.

6. Emmdotfrisk

Touche Nate. Touche

7. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

I agree....maybe ea big announcement for superbowl hafftime is they put in the cap system offline franchise have for online..lo...yeah right

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I like the FA draft idea, but it's not terribly realistic, as Nate said. However, I think that we'll come up with a tweak or two to help out in season 3 and beyond.

One thing I would personally tag on (since this is a suggestion thread) is having free agency AFTER the draft. I say cutting people before the draft, having draft, then a day or two later starting free agency is a better overall setup.

9. natedawg212000

ya, and we could do that. my issue with the draft is they take sooooooo long to do. they really do take forever. i've been in online leagues since 2001, and i've seen it done several different ways. One thing we have to remember is to begin with (since there is no cap) all players are making minimum salary. Well NFL players dont get paid minimum salary. So yes, 45-50 points for one player is CRAZY, if a team has the cap and wants that player then they get to do that. What i love about this madden is there is actually injuries and MAJOR injuries. Also players actually get tired, which in all my years of madden has NEVER happened other than the rb position. So if a team wants to go with no depth-the go right ahead big boy. It sucks, yes, but its fun. When you think about it most of the players we get pissed about for losing really wont make or break our team. We just all get caught up in the moment. The bills and ravens messed up a little this offseason, and guess what, ravens had to get rid of some players. Is it a little work to search 6 pages of threads to make sure theres not a bid on a player? yes, but its all part of free agency imo. I do like the suggestion for sub forums. Problem is it makes it a little harder for us to police, but it is a good suggestion that i will work on.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

We'll figure out something. I definitely like the subforums for positions though - will keep posts from overflowing and we can split up board members to watch different areas.

Overall I like the way this discussion is going. We have a few areas to tweak with, and this is one of them, but I like the ideas flowing here.

11. Emmdotfrisk

Hey guys a lil tip........if you press F3 while in your browser (whether it be mozilla, internet explorer, safari, ect.) a "word search" will come up. You can type in the players name, or anything for that matter, and you can sift through all text displayed on the page. It helps when you are looking for a certain OVR rating, position, or player.

12. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I just use control-F and that works. But (this sounds bad, but I don't mean it to) some people aren't the greatest spellers, or typists, in the world, and can mistype a word sometimes. So while the quick search helps, it's not always a catch-all.

I didn't know about F3 though. Guess I never paid much attention to keyboard commands. lol

13. natedawg212000

LOL! Great Great Job. Saints didn't fade, we had a bad bad mid-season. Also Gay was NOT a starter...didnt even see the field! ;)

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

I definately DONT like the idea of having the draft before the FA process. I think most teams need to see what holes they have after free agency and then draft accordingly. I think it would be a big mistake to do it the other way around.

15. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

I don't agree with that. If you sign a good SS for example then you know that you don't have to target that position in the draft. This is how it works in the real NFL. Just my opinion.

16. natedawg212000

Ya, it's my opinion also Claven. We'll have a great offseason, one way or the other, next year.

Also, we are NOT going to allow sub-forums. We are going to, instead, crack down on the way Free Agents are done. There is a proper and non-proper way to do them, we were just a little slack.