Free Agent Plan Committee

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by RynoAid, Jul 23, 2009.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Free Agent Plan Committee

Ok.. i want to appoint a 5 person committee to hash out the plan for free agency, salary cap and contracts. These are the guys i want to debate the plan HotRod has put together and either adopt it, or come up with something else..

im picking these guys because im confident they will do what's best for the league and are a good mix to come up with something legit.

HotRod
    BlyGilmore
    OMlawdog
    NYJuggalo45
    Hellisan

Once they present a plan we will all vote on it... a simple majority wins. Are you guys up to it? I'll set up a private forum so you can hash it out.

I think this is the best way... a 32 person conversation about this topic will be a cluster(i cuss too much). So im even removing myself, because i think these guys are way more qualified to debate the issue and bring a nice plan together.

please don't take it personal if i did not choose you, because it certainly isn't...

2. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

sure, im down...but i don't know what hot rod's plan was so if someone could post a link to it, would be appreciated

3. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Basically as the rosters have been released I have been making a database of all the players for all teams. For each player there is information in various columns:

Age, Position, Years Pro, Overall Rating, Salary (In Millions), Years Left – All of these are self explanatory

Salaries would just be calculated as the yearly average for the total amount of the contract.

Cap room for every team can be easily calculated in my database since it's in excel.

There are also two created variables to help with calculating market value for players when they enter Free Agency.

OVR_CAT – 8 different categories based on overall ratings.

1 = 95-99

2 = 90-94

3 = 85-89

4 = 80-84

5 = 75-79

6 = 70-74

7 = 60-69

8 = 0–59

AGE_CONS – An age constant used for market value calculations

20-24 = 1

25-28 = 1.25 (The years associated with a player entering his prime)

29-34 = .9

35+ = .8

When it comes to free agency time market value will be easy to calculate, all that is required it to get the average salaries by OVR_CAT. This will be done for each position. After getting the average salary for each OVR_CAT I enter this information into a second database which will be used to calculate the market value for free agency. There is a column to enter the average salaries for each OVR_CAT. This information will be used to calculate the market value.

The formula is very straightforward:

Average Salary of Players rating category*The players age constant = Market Value

The market value will be calculated after the season after player progression is done. The list however can be generated during the season.

Salaries can be done for each position in under an hour. Also it will be easy to update player moves as all we have to do is change the Team name beside the player. And after teams claim free agents all that needs to be done is the new salary and length of contract to be entered for the player I can manage all of this to give you less to worry about.

Also both databases can be hosted on Google docs for everyone to have access to plan any types of trades or who they would resign.

Example

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tfYK_nM7h7po-8BcJY0sWhw

I think things are set up well to make things accessible to all the team owners and it will be easy to manage as far as any player moves as well as however you decide to do the free agency.

Things that still need to be addressed

1. How contract lengths will change the total contract values

2. Review and adjust the age constants (if necessary) to give reasonable salaries for players (specifically the top tier players).

4. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

is there anyway to just make a forum those guys can post so the rest of can just read and see how things are playing out without getting in the way?

5. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

if you guys think you can control yourselves

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Can you scale the contract lengths for the value that the database gives? For example if the database gives a player a value of $50. Then his value would scale by predetermined multipliers for each year.

1 Year Contract: $50 x 1.00 = $50
    2 Year Contract: $50 x 1.10 = $55
    6 Year Contract: $50 x 2.00 = $100

Then distribute it over the life of the contract. For example if I want to sign a guy for five years his contract will look like:

Year 1: 10% of scaled contract value
    Year 2: 15%
    Year 3: 22%
    Year 4: 25%
    Year 5: 28%

Is that what you were talking about?

7. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm pretty sure we can create a user group and make the forum viewable but only give write permissions to the committee.

8. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

k.. make it happen vbguru

9. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Well I want to keep the system as simple as possible. Basically if a player is signed to a 20 mil contract over 4 years in the game his yearly contract is 5 mil a year. What I was asking is if a team signs him for 2 years as opposed to a 4 year contract how should the yearly contract be adjusted. If you recall from playing previous versions of franchise in Madden when you increase the length of the contract the yearly salaries decreased a little. So I would like something like that to be incorporated so that teams don't just sign every player to the same contract length and have to plan it out if a player is older and declining in skill yet they would be fine with having him for 2 years but not for 4.

10. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Ok I'm new to Madden multi-user dynasties, so I have a couple of rules question first, I guess for ryno.

1. Are we allowing escalating contracts? Like 2 mil year 1, 3 mil year 2, 4 mil year 3, etc

2. Are we allowing signing bonuses? And if so, how much will that factor into your formula hotrod?

11. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i would like to keep it as simple as possible... no escalation, no bonus... but it's not for me to decide necessarily...

12. totalwreckage

totalwreckage TMFL Coach/GM NY Jets

13. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Ok, well that would definitely make things easier, both in keeping track of things and in "fair market value"

14. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I concur. The only thing that would be needed is the adjustments for contract lengths. Like if a player's value is 4 mil a year should a 2 year contract be 4.25 a season, a 4 year contract 4 mil a season, and a 6 year 3.75 or something in that nature?

15. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Yeah definitely something along those lines, but I think we should make it a hard % type of thing.

We set the "standard" length of a contract to 3 years.

Every year less, +10% per year
    Every year more, -10% per year

So a guy worth 4 million.

1 yr deal - 4.84 mil (10% of 4, 10% of 4.4)
    2 yr deal - 8.8 mil total
    3 year deal - 12 mil total
    4 yr deal - 14.4 mil total
    5 yr deal - 16.2 mil total (10% of 4, 10% of 3.6)

Obviously the numbers/values are up for discussion, but I think something like this is a good idea to give a discount for signing a guy long term, and a penalty for signing a guy to a 1 yr deal.

16. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah that sounds good, quick question for year 2 it looks like your added 20% to the total, but if 3 year is the standard length shouldn't the total be 8.4?

17. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

The way I did it (and I might be wrong)

Started with base of 4 mil per year at 3 yrs.

So for 2 yr contract, took 4 mil x 10% = 4.4 mil x 2 yrs = 8.8 mil total contract
    For 1 yr, took that 4.4 x 10% = 4.84 mil total contract

For 4 yrs, took 4 mil x (10%) = 3.6mil x 4 yrs = 14.4 mil total contract
    For 5 yrs, took the 3.6 x (10%) = 3.24 mil x 5 yrs = 16.2 mil total contract

Did I do that right?

18. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I guess the way I read it was that for every year less than the standard then you tack on 10%.

The math is right, I dunno why my brain was not getting it. Probably too early to be doing math in my head, lol.

19. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

lol no problem.

Ok, so I have another logistical question. How exactly does FA work in a multi-user league? Recruiting in NCAA isn't really time sensitive. If I do my recruiting the 1st day we advance, and Hot Rod does his recruiting 3 days after we advance, it's all in the same week so it doesn't matter.

But Free Agency in the off-season advances a day like every 30 seconds-1 min. So does everyone have to get online at the same time, and bang this out? And if that's the case, before hand, do we need a list of all fair market offers for every FA available so guys know going in what the minimun offer can be?

20. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Well from talking with Ryno, I think the way he wants to do it is make it sort of like a draft/waiver wire type thing. Basically the order would be determined by record and team overall rating. So if a team was the worst record wise, but had that 17th overall rating they would get something like the 9th pick. If you read my post earlier describing the plan I showed an example of what I could do for accessbility. I can post the link for the FA spreadsheet so everybody knows what players are FA and what their market value is. This can be done during the playoffs so that the process can be worked out quickly to prevent lag time between seasons. The other thing that needs to be discusse is how to handle resigning players. For the FA to be fun and to ensure enough player turnover there has to be a system in place to require players to be let go into free agency. Like you can resign some of your high rated free agents but you still have to decide which of the higher rated ones you want to let go. I know Ryno had a system from his days of running the PC Madden leagues but since the contract system I'm proposing is a little different he can explain how his FA system can be adjusted to this plan.

21. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

lol thought we were supposed to be having a seperate forum to discuss this ;-)

22. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I don't see why we're dealing with salaries, salarie caps and contracts if we're just going to have a free agent draft in the offseason. to me the two things don't mesh, and if you're not going to have teams bidding on players I think a salary cap is just going to be extra work for no real reason.

i think we need to go either one of two routes ...

1 - Full fledged salary cap system, where free agents are bid on by teams and the one that bids the highest gets the player.

2 - A fantasy keeper model where we take economics completely out of it, go with a contract system and then have the free agent draft in the offseason.

23. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

which is kinda what we did in the old days... I'll see if i can find my post on the system.

24. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Well I still think we need a "fair market system" in place for 2 reasons. #1 - resigning our own free agents to a fair deal. #2 - even if we have a FA draft, have to have a set amount on what to pay the guy you select, and if you can afford him under the cap.

That being said, I do think it's alot of extra work if we're not going to be able to bid on guys. There probably is a simpler way

25. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Here's the basis for the old system...

We use to have to do something similar back in the day for the PC, it was simple, easy to understand and i guess as fair as you can make things under the circumstances.... and it was something like this..

Players are considered free agents when they reach the following ages at the conclusion of a season.

Teams are given 5 franchise tags. These tags can be utilized on any player that is due to be a free agent. These tags will last until the next free agent age period for that player. Once you have given your five franchise tags, you can't save anybody.

All tags are permanent until

A. The next free agent period for player
    B. Player is traded (team receiving tagged player must have tag open to take him)
    C. Player retires

The players left over are then put into a Free Agent draft with the order based on a combination of averaging team overall vs. team w/L during the pervious season.

This takes the financial aspects out of the equation and still puts some solid FA's on the market and gives poor teams a chance to improve.