Free Agent Rule

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Freakskull, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Freakskull

Freakskull Lobsters are mermaids to scorpions.

All,

You may only offer free agents the number of years they are asking for, or more, no less. Let me know if you have any questions.

v/r,

8E

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Freakskull

3. ragingpdm

ragingpdm Walk On

Years they ask for, or more....Got it

• Like Like x 3
  4. RyanRain39

RyanRain39 Walk On

This rule goes with the rule already in place, right? Only players that can get 5 years or more, are 85 overall or higher, Correct, Freakskull ?

5. tar heel

tar heel Walk On

Understood

6. akutozo

akutozo Baby, I'm a Brown.

I'm pretty sure if you only offer 4 years to a guy asking for 5 that defeats the purpose of the rule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Freakskull

Great question, I hadn't addressed that - Lets make it simple and say the limitation based on OVR does not apply here. What they ask for is what they get (or more.)

I'm comfortable with this because we are later in the cycle, and the extra year is not going to affect anything. But we should discuss the rule as a whole, maybe we remove that limitation entirely. Add your thoughts here, so we can address it before the next cycle.

8. RFF

RFF Walk On

My recommendations for the future:

Re-Signing
    OVR 90+: up to 7 yr max deal
    OVR 80-89: up to 5 yr max deal
    OVR 70-79: up to 4 yr max deal
    OVR 0-69: up to 3 yr max deal

Free Agency
    Must offer exact # of years they ask for--no more, no less. (This could be removed if M17 handles FA decision-making better...but don't hold your breath).

Bonus (Applies to all contracts--very slightly tweaked/simplified from existing rules)
    OVR 85+: bonus must be at least 25% of the total contract (e.g. if total contract is $10 mil, the bonus must be $2.5m of that $10m total)
    OVR 80-84: at least 20%
    OVR 70-79: at least 10%
    OVR 0-69: no required bonus

An additional Free Agency rule to consider:
    Saw a sim league whose rules had a 3+1 rule: that is, each offseason a team could only re-sign 3 players (plus the franchise tag if they chose to use it). This presumably makes FA more relevant, forces teams into harder choices, inflates more contracts (because of FA), and thus hopefully makes cap management more strategic. Many teams should be bumping up against the cap and be required to make difficult choices. In M15 this wasn't a huge issue because drafted players developed into 90+ OVR players so easily, thus it was difficult to keep every good player. In M16 you can keep everyone and still have $30 mil to play with in FA. TBD how M17 will handle this, but I'm throwing this out to keep in the backs of our heads.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 2
  9. BigK44

BigK44 Walk On

I agree with every thing RFF said. I like 3+1 idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. linebackerlove54

linebackerlove54 Walk On

Im in a league that currently uses the 3+1 rule and at first i was skeptical but 4 seasons in and its actually made FA fun and interesting

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. arlennnn

arlennnn Walk On

LOOOOOVE the 3+1 rule

• Agree Agree x 1