Free Agent / Tag System

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by RynoAid, Aug 23, 2009.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Free Agent / Tag System

After much debate and a ton of hard work done by some, especially HotRod, we have come to the conclusion that for the simplicity and ease of administration we are going to roll with a Age based FA system with tagging system mixed in with it.

Here's how the system works...

All players on all teams are considered FA's at the ages of 26-30-33-36.

Each team will have a total of 5 tags that they can use.

Tags are -

1. Permanent
    2. Can only be recovered when player is eligible for FA again based on age or tagged player is traded to another team or player retires.
    3. If tagged player is traded to another team... that team must have a tag availabe to use on incoming player. Player will remained tagged until his FA age period is realized again.

Free Agent Draft

There will be two FA drafts... one before the rookie draft and one after. Both will be reverse order drafts based on an average of team overall and overall standings from last season.

If a player of yours gets drafted, you are allowed to pull back one of your other Free Agent that are in the draft.

Well, that's pretty much it... just remember your tags are PERMANENT and you only get FIVE. Use them wisely.

The initial pre-season FA draft will by via team overall rating ascending. I will get a draft list up soon.

Once the season starts, teams are allowed to sign ONE Free Agent a week AFTER they play their game for that week. Pls keep track of your roster moves in the roster management section.

FA Tags are due Week 17!!!

2. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

Eagles next season free agents...

Donovan McNabb
    B.Westbrook *tagged*
    jamaal jackson
    brodrick bunkley
    darren howard
    stewart bradley
    mike patterson
    michael vick
    chris gocong
    max jean-giles
    kevin kolb
    lorenzo booker
    omar gaither
    charleston hughes

other tagged players include

desean jackson
    asante samuel
    trent cole
    stacy andrews

3. Ravens FA's next year

Troy Smith
    Derrick Mason
    Todd Heap
    LJ Smith
    Oniel Cousins
    Ben Grubbs *TAG*
    Haloti Ngata *TAG*
    Kelly Gregg

4. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

We may want to keep this information somewhere else so that is isn't all stuck into one thread. It may be best to sit back and wait for instructions. I'm sure TMFL will come up with a great way to keep track of free agency and we will follow suit.

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

agreed. Maybe a FA declaration thread just like the trade block thread.

6. I figured this could just be the FA thread. It's already about the FA's, I figured there was no reason to make another thread.

7. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

It's not a problem. I know people are just anxious to get things going.

The free agent/tag system will need to be tracked. There will likely be a system developed to make it easier on whoever is doing the tracking.

It may end up being a one thread deal; but there is no need to get ahead of ourselves. The Tags/Free Agents won't come into play until after the first season. This is likely 2 months or so away.

In addition, if free agent lists by team are put together eventually, I think more information would be required. Just off the top of my head, player positions and overall ratings would be nice to see in a free agent list. There are at least 5 players from the lists above that I'm not familiar with. Sure, I could look it up. However, once 32 teams are listed, I'm not sure I'll want to look up that information for 100 players.

8. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

do you get a new 5 every year or once you use all 5 your done until one of the players you used it on retires or is released?

9. BDSDIGITAL

This might be a dumb question, but is it the year before they turn 26 or is age 26 their "contract year" and are free agents after that season?

Newb, I take this to mean that once you tag a player he's tagged until you trade him, he turns the next free agent age and you decide to cut him loose, or he retires. So if you tag 5 this year you're stuck with them until one of those conditions is met whether it be year one or year 3. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not sure I understand the equation for this. Could someone explain? Are we talking like My Browns are a 67 I believe overall and say I finish 4-12 which ranks me 27th in the nfl then my average composite is 47 meaning I would have a fairly high pick because lower numbers are worse?

I assume we are going to want to do this in a thread to keep it current. One FA per team or will we keep going in order until the FA list is picked clean?

10. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

If your players are 25, 29, 32, or 35 they will be free agents after season 1. So you can say age 25 would be a "contract year".

Castertroy has the 5 tags system right. Tags carryover and do not reset each year. If you tag 5 free agents your first year, you can't protect any free agents your 2nd year (unless one of your tagged players was traded or retired).

I'm not sure how to do the draft position calculation, but you're probably on the right track.

I think we'll have to limit the rounds. It could get confusing with people having to release players to make room for newly signed free agents. I'm not sure how that will be handled.

11. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Dont forget leaving guys uncovered becaause you see that some of your best guys will be hitting a year later and you want to save tags for them, is not a total loss since its unlikely that every player you leave exposed gets signed away from you.

As i understand it we will have some sort of FA bidding plan to at least give you an opportunity to resign some of your FAs (or someone elses).

12. trutest

trutest Walk On

We have until the end of the season to do this, correct?

13. geauxtigers810

geauxtigers810 Walk On

I'm not sure what you mean by a FA bidding plan. I haven't seen anything like that, but I could have missed it.

However, I think if a free agent from your team is taken in the free agent draft; then you get to pull back another free agent from your team.

14. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

Can we tag players who are supposed to be FAs? and your players only go to the FA POOL when they are that AGE eligible and not tagged?

15. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

correct sirrr

16. ChickenOfTheSea

What you said

17. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

i'm sorry but this public school education isn't working for me right now, can someone give me the the super stupid version of how the free agency system works?

18. BDSDIGITAL

Ok Gwill I hope this helps:

Every player in the league is a free agent at the age of 26,30,33,36. That means that on your roster the players that are currently 25,29,32,and 35 are playing their final year for your team. Now, you have 5 tags (think franchise players) that you can use to protect players on your roster. Once you "tag" one of your players they are protected from becoming a free agent until one of the three events occurs:

A. Player X turns the next free agent age. The tag is then expired and you can then re apply it, or let the player go.

B. Player X retires. Then the player leaves and you can use that tag on someone else.

C. You trade player X to another team. You then have that tag to use unless the player you trade for has a tag on him from the other team. Then you must use that tag on the player you just traded for.

Basically once that tag is applied it's on there unless he becomes a FA, retires, or is traded for a non tagged player.

So look on your roster and finds the players that are 25,29,32, and 35. List them. Also, look at your roster and decide if there are any players that you absolutely can't live without regardless of age. Decide if there are any on the 25,29,32,35 list that you are willing to use one of your 5 tags to keep. Be sure to reserve tags for players that may be coming up to one of the above ages soon so you don't lose them when the time comes.

Personally, I listed the players I had that would be free agents after this year, after the year 2 and after year 3. I then compared the three potential free agent classes and applied my tags accordingly to make sure I would have enough for the guys that I don't want to lose.

I had to make a few tough choices. Better teams will have to make a ton of tough choices. But remember that everyone else will have to cut really good players loose. So the free agent pool should have a ton of talent in it. So although you may lose a ton of guys, so will everyone else. If not this year next year or the year after.

This is how free agency works. For an example of how others have done this go to the free agent/roster management section and read some of those teams free agent/tag lists and you can see how they did it. I'm the Browns, feel free to use mine as a template.

I hope that helps.

19. Herc

Herc Walk On

Bears FA's and Tags

HB - Wolfe - 26 years - 67 OA
    FB - Mckie - 30 years - 82 OA
    RT - Schaffer - 30 years old - 79 OA
    C - Kreutz - 33 years - 87 OA
    TE - Clark - 33 years - 79 OA
    DT - Harris - 26 years - 90 OA
    SS - Payne - 26 years - 76 OA
    DT - Harrison - 26 years - 68 OA
    DT - Adams - 30 years - 71 OA
    RE - Ogunleye - 33 years - 81 OA

For now my tags are:

DT- Harris
    C- Kreutz

20. ChickenOfTheSea

Taken from Hotrod's thread that Jersey linked.

TAG Seahawks Walter Jones LT 94
    TAG Seahawks John Carlson TE 87

21. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

26yr olds to be

Willie Evans LE 58ovr
    Robert James ROLB 54ovr
    Justin Blalock LG 79ovr
    Quinn Ojinnaka LT 63ovr
    Peria Jerry DT 78ovr*

30yr olds to be

Ben Hartstock TE 64ovr
    Brett Romberg C 76ovr
    Tony Gilbert MLB 62ovr
    Ovie Mughelli FB 86ovr
    Coy Wire LOLB 59ovr

33yr olds to be

Todd McClure C 81ovr
    Chris Redman QB 63ovr

36yr olds to be

Terrell Owens WR 91ovr*

2/5 tagged*

22. Betz

Betz Guest

i'll be the first to admit, that i dont like this FA system at all. but im going to go along with it. i do have some questions though.

1. the 5 tags you use on the players. you get those tags back each season right? its not use 2 now and then you get 3 next season right? each season we get 5....

2. It seems that most teams are losing alot of guys...this doesnt happen in real life..idk if you guys have done the rookie drafts before but i have. and from the 4th round on there are nothing but scrubbs with 50 overalls or worse..we were pretty much trading decent vets for scrubbs. i think the age groups for FA should be lowered or we should get more tags..

3. what happened to the man roster? i believe if you dont have a 53 man roster on the game you wont be able to play your games. or this is at least to a extent. it might let you go with 48 or so on. but goes back to the rookie draft. were not going to be forced to play weaker guys cuz we released good guys cuz of FA. i think we should at least make the FA draft longer. or simpler allow not as much FAs. real teams dont release that many vets in one off season.

Jersey or HotRod, can one of you message me via aim and maybe give me more of a walkthrough on this? im still not 100% set on it.

23. ChickenOfTheSea

Foot note, I am not sure honestly, of a few things myself.

for example: if you have 4 guys that are "FA" and no tags for them, do you have to release them? or they are just "Uncovered" and if a team in the FA draft doesnt take them do you get the keep em?

also if they really go into the pool ( released) can you resign your own guys if you want?

24. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

It would seem that any FA players that aren't chosen would just return to their original teams.

As far as real life comparasions, last season only 8% of eligible free agents actually changed teams. We could potentially lose 50% of our eligible free agents.

Are we waiting to tag until after progression or are the tags still due week 17?

25. Betz

Betz Guest

i wont be doing my tags until after progression so i no who retires and who i should keep