Free Agent Watch - Offensive and Defensive Lines

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by ThaBayouChef, Jan 11, 2013.

1. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Taking a look at the offensive and defensive lines this week was a bit difficult. It's hard to really determine who on the offensive line is dominant and why they are dominant. With that said, there were two guys who stood out to me in that category. Other than those two I'll just make a short list of some other guys who could be impact players and step in and help a ball club if in fact, they do not resign with their current teams. On the defensive front, somewhat the same applies to these guys as well. However there are some big names, who if let go, could make some big noise in free agency. Hopefully this turns out well. We'll start with the big guys on the offensive side first:

LT: Jason Peters - News swirling around Philadelphia late this year has been that the Eagles do not plan on retaining their big man on the end. Due for a hefty pay day, rumors are that the Eagles will try and plug in their younger player, King Dunlap, at LT next year. It'll be a risk for this Eagles offense. Peters has been that units best player for quite a few years now. Being one of the leagues premier LT's, I have no doubt that someone will be quick to scoop this big man up in free agency.

LG: Travelle Wharton - Wharton is another guy who is a staple of his offensive line. He is no doubt one of the big reasons why Cincinnati's run game has been so dominant this season. Acquiring 8 pancake blocks and allowing 0 sacks, Wharton will be sorely missed in the Begals offense if he is not resigned. There's a few guys who will definitely miss him if he departs, and they can be found in his backfield.

Some Other Names to Watch: LT Demarcus Love, C Eugene Amano, C Chris Myers, C Jason Kelce, C Roberto Garza, RG Jon Asamoah, RT Jason Smith, RT Jared Veldheer, RT Zach Strief

Defensive Line Players:

LE: Jabaal Sheard - Sheard is a young guy who has been having a great year in Cleveland. Amassing 5 sacks on the season, Sheard is becoming a dominant force off the end. His up-field pass rush has been hard to stop for the opposing offense. Along with his sacks Sheard has 9 tackles for loss and 26 tackles total on the season. The Browns will no doubt have to shove out some dough to retain this young stud.

DT: B.J. Raji - Whatcha Whatcha Whatcha Whatcha got Raji?! A whole bunch of mula will soon be the answer to that question! Raji has been a dominant force in the league for a few years now. And he will definitely get paid for it. Leading all DT's with 34 tackles on the year, look for Green Bay to wrap this guy up for plenty years to come. Raji is the leader of that Packer line and I don't see any way that Coach Red lets him get away.

DT: Nick Fairley - Fairley is coming off of his rookie deal and could ask for the barn in Detroit. With high priced guys such as Megatron, Stafford, and Suh; it'll be interesting to see what the Lions do with Fairley. I don't see him going anywhere in the end. If Detroit had any plans at all to not bring him back I think they would have at least attempted to trade the young man earlier in the year. Fairley and Suh have become one of the leagues best 1-2 defensive line player in the league. In short, look for that trand to continue for years to come.

DT: Sione Pouha - Pouha is another young gun that has been flying under the radar in New York. Pouha, like Sheard, has also acquired 5 sacks and 26 tackles on the year. He's been the key in the Jets run stopping D and has been a bright spot on that defense all year. If he does indeed hit the free agent market, Pouha could become a teams prized possession if the Jets do not view him as such.

Some Other Names to Watch: LE Chris Kelsay, LE Cory Redding, DT Corey Peters, DT Isaac Sopoaga, DT CJ Mosely, RE Chris Clemons, RE Brett Keisel, RE Drake Nevis

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 9
  2. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

Vince Wilfork could be a free agent as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thoov08

thoov08 Walk On

Nice writeup but Pouha is definitely not a young gun. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he retires at the end of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Haha! My b bro. Was in a rush on this one.

5. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Great write up...Jabaal is going to keep baaling in Cleveland

• Like Like x 1
  6. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Nice job Loren!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Good work Loren!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

I'd take a flyer out on DT Corey Peters (and any other Falcon that comes my way)