Free Agents after Year 1

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Free Agents after Year 1

Okay, I am going to come clean and say that the reason I want to discuss this topic is that it affects me a LOT. And, personally, I don't think it's very fair, BUT I see the point of the rule the way it is. And that rule is this:

Free agents, if they are cut at ANY time in the OMFL, cost the team a cap penalty of their overall.

Okay, I understand WHY the rule is the way it is. And if people want to keep it that way, I will reluctantly be cool with it. But I would like to talk about changing this rule just a little bit. Here is what I would like to propose:

If a free agent changes overall value from one rank to another (whether up or down), that free agent becomes a permanent part of the roster at either the new figure if his overall goes down, or at either the new overall cap number or the number signed for if that cap number goes up.

I realize the wording is a bit confusing. I will use two examples from my team, since I have a lot of free agents:

Earnest Graham, HB, is a 78 overall. I signed him for the minimum, 8 points. Let's say next year he DROPS in overall to a 74 overall. That takes him out of the 78-83 bracket of cap value and into the 70-77 cap bracket. That takes his value down to 6 points. Since he fell back, he is now a permanent part of my roster at a 6 point cap hit.

Now, Mike Mickens, CB, is a 66 overall. I signed him for 20 points. Next year, let's say he jumps UP to a 70 overall. That bumps him into a new cap bracket (70-77) instead of the 59-69 bracket. Because he's in a new bracket, he becomes a permanent part of my roster, but not at 6 points since I did not sign him for the minimum. He is still 20 points. If I trade him, since I signed him over the minimum, I would still take the cap hit of his overall, but if I cut him, there is not a cap hit since he is now a member of the roster and no longer a free agent.

With the Mickens example, that cap number of 20 would still stick even if he FELL to, let's say 58 overall. That would drop him into a different bracket, so he's a permanent part of the roster, but I still pay him 20.

Some possible arguments I'll counter now:

1. Hard to track. With my cap book highlighting free agents, it isn't hard to follow who is a free agent and who isn't. It's very easy to adjust the overalls, and if that causes a change in bracket, the color changes to black instead of red.

2. Unfair for people who sign over minimum. Not really. The team would still have to hang onto a player they signed until he got good enough to break into a new bracket, or bad enough to fall into a new bracket. That means at least one year, possibly two, and by that time we'll be onto another game.

I'll try to explain it better if people ask me to, but I want to start the discussion now for the offseason.

2. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ive read this and dont want you to think i am ignoring it. i just need to find time to re-read it and understand before giving my thoughts. i should do that tonight or first thing tomorrow.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

It's no rush. I just want to get us discussing free agents again since the season is quickly moving along now. So please read it and if you have any questions at all, ask away. I got the mumble server back up and moving again if you want to chat about it, or Yahoo, or chat room if necessary. My cable modem reset, which causes the IP address to reset. If the cable modem don't reset, we're good.

I want us to discuss it, and if you don't like/don't understand something, let me know.

4. natedawg212000

I suppose the reason I am against this is because this ruins the fact of our point system being a 'real cap'. If you said a player for 20 mill, and he stays hurt, guess what, he is still making 20 mill until you cut him.

I say leave it as is, and if you don't like his new overall for his figure then you cut him and go back after him as a new fa.

thoughts?

5. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

The easiest thing to do would be to consider a FA being signed for more than his minimum as a signing bonus and only counts for that year he was signed. I think it will be ver diffulcult for us to accurately track points if we carry over their bidded amount especially with player progression/regression. At the beginning of each year,after progression, each cap is figured to their players overall values, wiping out any extra cap hits for bidding more than overall value.

Now the easiest is not always the best thing to do. Just like real NFL, if a team overpays for a player they are stuck with that players cap hit for the length of the contract. So if I bid 30 points for Chris McAlister I am stuck with that inflated number until I trade or release him. As Nate said above, if you are unhappy with his cap number just cut him. Now with cutting him comes our rules for cutting FA in year 2. Will teams have to pay a cap penalty for releasing/trading players in year two that were signed in year one..??

Unless Bobby thinks it will be just too hard to track, I say carryover the players bidded amount no matter what his new overall number is after progression.

6. natedawg212000

i say you just carry any and all cap hits for one year after you release a player. its not hard to track because we see that with the cap book if a player is a free agent that was signed by a team. the second that team releases that player we plug in a 'cap hit' box at the bottom and each offseason those cap hit boxes are set to 0 because they have paid the price.