Freshman Focus 2

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Hova, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Freshman Focus 2

Haven't had much time this season to follow these guys but here are the finalists for this years award:

USC - SS Jesse Golden
    Stats: 71 Tackles, 4 INTS, 2 Defl, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 TD
    Synopsis: Jesse is having a huge season leading the defense in tackles by more than 20. He is the clear cut leader of a great defense ALREADY in his young career. He is also a ball hawker with 4 INTs and a Pick 6. A strong candidate for FOTY.

VA Tech - WR Derwin Davis
    Stats: 36 Rec, 791 Yds, 7 TDs
    Synopsis: WR Davis was the number 1 WR recruit last season and is playing pretty well as a freshman. He is leading the team in receptions, yards, and touchdowns in a run heavy offense. However he has a huge 10 drops on the season. One too many rookie mistakes.

UCLA- QB Robert Cannon
    Stats: 154/238, 2,293 Yds, 20 TDs, 14 INTs
    Synopsis: Cannon is having a great year at UCLA, leading the bruins to their best season in years finally being ranked in the top 25. He has some INT issues but when he is on, he is on. His last name fits him well. Bringing success to the UCLA offense, Robert makes a good case for FOTY.

Texas Tech- WR Brad Roberts
    Stats: 39 Rec, 675 Yds, 7 TDs
    Synopsis: Roberts is having a great season as a Red Raider. He is leading the team in every WR category and only has an impressive 2 drops on the year. He is a steady target for QB Doege and looks to have a prolific career at Lubbock. Roberts is defiantly the most impressive freshman WR this year.

Oklahoma- WR Mike Harris
    Stats: 40 Rec, 637 Yds, 5 TDs
    Synopsis: Anothe WR playing strong in the West is WR Harris of the Sooners. He is a great second option for the Oklahoma WR Corp with over 600 yards on the season. Also having catching troubles with 7 drops, something he hopes to improve on next season.

Miami- WR Terrence Reid
    Stats: 46 Rec, 780 Yds, 9 TDs
    Synopsis: With perhaps the best WR stats in the freshman class minus the 4 drops, WR Reid is doing big things. He leads the passing attack with 9 TDs and always finds a way to be open even with his short size at 5'10. Another strong WR Candidate for FOTY.

Miami- FS Erik Richardson
    Stats: 57 Tackles, 2 INTS, 5 Defl,
    Synopsis: Also playing some great football on the canes is FS Richardson.
    He is 2nd on the team in tackles and has made some great plays on the ball with 5 deflections. Standing at 6'0 he looks to be a leader off the Miami Defense in the years to come.

Top 5
    1. SS Jesse Golden
    2. QB Robert Cannon
    3. WR Terrance Reid
    4. WR Brad Roberts
    5. WR Derwin Davis

Huge games coming up for some of these guys, we will see if the freshman will falter under the pressure or become young stars at their respective Universities.

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Nice write-up on the freshman. I figured the two Miami players listed above would make the list. We have freshman starting all over the field this year and next season should be very similar.

Note: I think you combined the names of the Miami/USC SS for the #1 guy on the list. Not sure if this was on purpose or done in error. :)

3. Hova

LOL edited. I think it's because my good safety last year was named richardson as well. Use to that name in the secondary.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

With my young team I had no stand-out freshman? Ah well.

5. Hova

You only have 1 freshman on the whole stat sheet, and he has 1 tackle

6. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Yeah, Roberts for me, has been like Tony Harris was last year. Everytime I looked up he was making a play; and he is probably the third or fourth best receiver on my roster. I guess some guys just overachieve.

7. Ceewo

Ceewo Walk On

Nice write-up. Harris has been a nice surprise this year, but he has had his ups and downs. Its said that he has the best hands on my team and still has 7 drops.

8. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

It is not HUGEEEEE DROPS lol 10 drops in the rain and when getting hit, but he has lessened this over the last couple weeks i dont think hes dropped any HATER lol, that safety is a beast though

9. Hova

USC - SS Jesse Golden
    Stats: 79 Tackles, Sack, 5 INTS, 3 Defl, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 TD
    Synopsis: The leader of the defense, headed to a title game, put up huge number on the field this season. With a game winning INT vs UCLA he has made even more noise in the national eye. His is number 1 on the Thorpe list and almost a lock for winning the Thorpe as a freshamn

UCLA- QB Robert Cannon
    Stats: 176/273, 2,682 Yds, 20 TDs, 17 INTs
    Synopsis: Having a great season and one of the sole reasons of the UCLA turnaround on offense. Came one pass short of upsetting the number 1 team in the nation. He has added a few more INTs since last time but still has a huge impact on the UCLA team.

Texas Tech- WR Brad Roberts
    Stats: 45 Rec, 761 Yds, 7 TDs
    Synopsis: Roberts put together a great season while evading the national eye. Not too flashy numbers but still the best WR on the team. He is also the most ready freshman WR in the nation with only 2 drops the entire season. A true sign that he will be a confident target for years to come in Red Raider nation.

Miami- WR Terrence Reid
    Stats: 49 Rec, 813 Yds, 10 TDs
    Synopsis: Reid has a strong season end adding another TD to his total, helping Miami to a BCS Bowl bid. He is the clear leader of the WRs as a freshman and will dominate for many years ahead. He is also a finalist, sitting at number 4 in the best WR awad.

Miami- FS Erik Richardson
    Stats: 63 Tackles, 2 INTS, 5 Defl
    Synopsis: Erik had a great season leading the Miami defense. He played along side a great SS to form a great tandem in the secondary. He got alot of tackles even though his ball hawking stats declined later in the season. He will continue to solidify to the Miami defense as he grows and becomes a better player.

Next week we announce the winner of the 2nd Annual OFFL West Freshman of the Year Award.

10. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Wow you must hate the hokies no way Davis on the list of finalists? Your a hater but ull see him NC week

11. Hova

10 drops, He's a bum and has no effect on the success of your team. That would be your 5000 handoffs, He could have been hurt all season and nothing would change. This isn't a stat whore competition like the hiesman, should have realized that last season.

12. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

He had 10 drops when u first posted stats 0 since then but 200 more rec yards and a couple more tds. Hes been essential in taking the pressure off my rb all game but he doesnt affect my offense?

13. Hova

No you'd still be where you are without him. Maslers OSU guy had DOUBLE your stats and didn't win this award. You guy isnt even on the WR list. He's a bum

14. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Are you blind hes on the list

15. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Hey Hova and DJ, just curious, are you guys brothers?

16. Hova

No, he's my son

17. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

OK, that makes sense. I got a son like that; he's the one I'm holding in the picture on the left.

I enjoy the lively conversation though, I was just rambling in another thread about good forum participation.

I guess TF has become my version of Facebook.

18. Hova

lmao I'm just kidding about him being my son I just said that because I always own him, but I know him from school

19. harriscw

harriscw Walk On

Yeah, I knew you were kidding about DJ, but I'm not kidding about mine. He's a little hard head. Difference being, I'll break mine sooner, or later.

I knew there was some sort of connection there though.

20. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

haha we'll see in the NC who gets owned just got done beating maryland down so my tickets stamped see you in The Rose Bowl i think

21. Hova

I'll be rooting for you, finally did something. It'll hurt me to my heart to crush your dreams

22. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Lmao you act like ive never beat you before, pleaseeeeeeeee when i beat you i thrash you when you beat me its always close

23. Hova

The record is like 10-1.

24. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

Ya right more like 7-3 maybe

25. Hova

Youve never beat me in ncaa 10. Came close once