Freshman Orientation 2.0 Season 1 Week 1

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by matthew34brown, Aug 20, 2013.

1. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Jul 23, 2013
    Post Recaps Here!
  2. matthew34brown

matthew34brown Walk On

Jul 23, 2013
    Minnesota Sends UNLV Packing 42-14
    Minneapolis, MN – UNLV came out of the gates fast putting up a score within the first two minutes of play and had the hearts of Gopher fans in fear that this would be another year of disappointment. New head coach Matt Brown had different plans though for the 2013 Gophers. The Gophers quickly regrouped on defense and never looked back.

Sophomore QB P. Nelson was perfect through the air completing 11/11 passes for 121 yards. Junior RB Donnell Kirkwood lived up to the pre-season hype adding 139 yards on the ground on 22 carries for 3 scores. Leading the Gophers receiving core was also D. Kirkwood with 2 catches totaling 38 yards. On defense the Gophers were led by defensive tackle R. Hageman with 3 tackles and 1 sack and J. Baltazar adding 4 tackles shutting down the UNLV offensive attack.

UNLV was led by QB N. Sherry going 12/24 through the air for 203 yards and 2 TD’s. J. Rice jr was the leading receiver for the Rebels with 4 grabs for 66 yards and 1 TD.

The Gophers looked good in their home opener and have set the bar high for the rest of the season. You can expect the ticket sales to increase because the word is out; this Gopher team is pushing for a B1G title and will not be taken lightly.

Statement from the Head Coach: (Matt Brown) “We have a goal this year, to leave it all on the field, and that’s just what we did. Our group is young and many expect a rebuilding year from us, but we are ready to compete and this group has a desire to win. I’m excited to see what unfolds this season.”

Statement from the Player of the Game: (Donnell Kirkwood) “My offensive line created for me; every time I got the ball I had a hole a mile wide. We are young but we will surprise some people this year.”

The Golden Gophers improve to 1-0 on the season and will face a tough Miss State Aspect1 team in week two, who upset Oklahoma State 34-20 in week one. The Gophers have their work cut out this week and will have to have a good week on the practice field to remain undefeated as they take their team on the road.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kaizer2310

Kaizer2310 Walk On

May 27, 2012

In Coach Kaizer Jones first game as a head coach, his Vols did not disappoint. Flashbacks of last year's atrocious defense filled the minds of Tennessee fans as the game kicked off and Northwestern easily marched down the field for the touchdown. But Tennessee answered, coming back with its own touchdown drive capped off by Rajion Neal's 2 yard TD run. Tennessee was up 14-10 at the half and came out the second half and completely dominated Northwestern. The ley difference between the 1st half and 2nd was that Tenn. was finally able to stop the read option from NU's talented quarterback Kain Colter. Doing so allowed the Vols to hold NU to 3 points in the 2nd half and to put up 17 points of their own for a 30-13 final score.

Player of Game: Rajion Neal: 23 car. / 106 yards / 3 TDs / 1 rec. / 11rec yards
    Injuries: None
    Next Week: @ Iowa

1ST DOWNS 10 20
    3rd down conversions 3/9 7/9
    4th down conversions 0/1 0/0
    TOTAL OFFENSE 187 349
    PASSING YARDS 81 220
    Completions/Attempts 9/18 18/24
    Yards Per Attempt 4.5 9.2
    RUSHING YARDS 106 129
    Rushing Attempts 23 31
    Yards Per Rush 4.6 4.2