Freshman Starters

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Anyone using their new guys?

Anyone making a real impact?

2012-2-1.jpg

I have one of my guys (HB Tyler Hall) returning kicks and punts, and he housed a KO in both games so far. My first and second special teams scores in the 2012 game, and this kid's got both. The last one went 103 yards. Kid's got wheels.

MM.PNG

Also, true frosh Marc McNeal got his first sack as a Buckeye in the Cincy game. Hopefully there will be many more.

2. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

They seem to have a template for the 5-7, lightning fast guy. I had him (Nick Carpenter) in my OLD last year. He was a game-changer. You got him on your first call, which is great for you (and scary for the rest of us). Nonetheless, I know the joy that I got from that guy and I'm happy that you've found a way to get production from him so early on.

My WR corp was decimated by graduating seniors. Two of my top recruits were WRs and are starting (at #2 and #3). Almost all of the rest are redshirting.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The kid's not super fast (I think he's a 93) but he gets up to speed really fast and can dart in and out without losing momentum. He made cuts at high speed which led to both returns going the distance. Not sure if he's a fit for the power run game, but I gotta find a way to get this kid the ball in future years. For now, though, I think he's a perfect fit right where he is.

4. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Michigan's got two...

[​IMG]

James starts at FB and Foster is my 4/5 WR.

Foster has got a TD already and James only has 1 reception, and he got drilled and fumbled in the ND game. I'm real pleased with James so far, but Foster has a long way to go before he's a serious contributor.

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Archie, I have a red-shirt freshman who's making a similar impact on special teams - RB Ka'deem Carey. 94 speed/90 acceleration/88 elusiveness.

[​IMG]

He's also slowly taking on more responsibility in the running game, pretty much splitting carries with my senior back. Great in open space, but not exactly built for power running, either (70 BTK). It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

I'm not accustomed to having a lot of speed on my team and have never been a killer on special teams, but this guy's a bit of a game-changer.

6. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I have a freshman rb and fb and a wr who are playing alot. I'll list them soon

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Tyler Hall broke another one in the Cal game. That's 3 KR-TDs in four games. I bet it slows down when I get to conference play, where the teams are better, but this kid's had a great year already, even if it stopped right now.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I have a red shirt frosh, Jadaveous Clowney who has 5 sacks thus far.

9. egofailure

That clown is unreal.

10. John Crow

John Crow Walk On

I have a WR Alex Hunter who has had a couple of big games.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Don't think he'll be a redshirt in real life. Kid's a monster.

12. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

If you guys think he is good you should see Florida St commit DE Mario Edwards ....nations #1 recruit

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

As was Clowney last year.

14. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Clowney's highlight reel was the most impressive one that I have ever seen. There's no way they keep him off the field in year one.

I know I redshirt a lot of my guys, so I'm just as much at fault here, but I think we might want to look at trying to keep the redshirting realistic as well. It our goal is to simulate real football, that seems like an area that might warrant some attention.

15. egofailure

Another reason I wouldn't have redshirted Clowney? Because I would have wanted to guarantee myself 3 years to play with him. Easy now runs the risk of having him leave for the NFL as a red-shirt sophomore.

I've always talked about having realistic red-shirting, but it's tough to agree upon and regulate. What's realistic and what isn't? My pet peeve is when people abuse red-shirts to stockpile talent. For instance, they'll red-shirt their senior (higher-rated) QB and play their freshman (who they promised PT), just so they add to that position. Now way that would go down in R/L.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's not unusual for a lineman, even a really good one in HS, to redshirt his first year on campus. They're usually undersized and need the gym and training table time to get the necessary body mass to bang with the big boys for a full season. Clowney's a huge talent, but it's not crazy to have him redshirt as a DE, especially in a 3-4, where even the ends have to be pretty huge guys. Not many 18-yr-old kids have that kind of bulk. I don't think he'll RS in real life, but it ain't exactly crazy at his position.

17. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I redshirted him because I had two other guys with better ratings than him at the start. There is nothing nefarious about what I did, just good coaching.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to call you (or anyone) out. I thought this was the best possible example situation for clarifying the redshirting policy as you won't find a better incoming freshman than Clowney. SC certainly had two better options on the d-line, so I possibly would have done the same. I just thought this presented a good opportunity for discussion.

19. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I dont think there is that much of an issue. And I don't think we should restrict more of the game unless there is a warranted reason

20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think you redshirt as you please. I do this with the oline all the time.

21. egofailure

Here's a hypothetical ...

Let's say that you and I are fighting head-to-head for a top-rated QB. Your starter is most likely graduating after the following season, so you need to bring in a quality replacement. You hope to red-shirt him in his first season, and have him replace your starter the next year. After going back and forth, I manage to nab him after a visit.

The following season, you watch me do the following:

- I red-shirt my 95 overall senior QB.
    - I bench by 85 overall red-shirt QB.
    - I start my 80 overall true freshman, the one I battled you for.

When you ask why, I let you know it was because I promised him no redshirt and immediate PT. This promise, by the way, most likely contributed to him choosing my school over yours.

The season after, you watch me:

- Red-shirt the QB I battled you for, who is now a sophomore.
    - Start my senior, and prepare to start my red-shirt junior the following year.

The problem with this?

1) There's no way in hell a 95 overall QB is going to let you red-shirt him his senior year so that you can keep your promise to a freshman. He'd transfer.
    2) If a player is choosing your school for immediate PT and a promise of no red-shirt, he wouldn't accept being benched/red-shirted the following year. He'd transfer.
    3) Meanwhile, I managed to keep a QB out of another league members hands just to stockpile talent.

I know it's hard to regulate/enforce, but I can't stand this sort of shit. We shouldn't be managing our roster like it's a video game.

Easy, obviously your situation is very different; I was just responding to the notion that "no restrictions" are a good thing.

22. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Yeah but ego, that scenario is as bad as having a cheeser in the league... I hear you, but that's bunk as fuck and should never happen anywhere on this site IMO

• Like Like x 1
  23. egofailure

Agreed, but I've seen it here. Just figured I'd throw it out there as an FYI ...

24. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I think the hypothetical is good. That sounds like a good rule. If you've seen it, someone else might not have agreed and took advantage of the situation. I would guess that we would get a consensus to agree that your hypothetical should not be allowed.

25. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think if you are that fucking cheesey it will come out in your play. I personally recruit like I would in real life, I don't negative recruit and I only make promises I can keep. I don't get the best classes and the negative recruiting thing is most likely why, but I wouldn't bash another coach in real life and I won't do it on here either. If someone else chooses to be a classless shit, then more power to them. I won't mind winning or losing the right way. I approach the redshirt stuff the same way.

And in real life Clowney won't be redshirting this year, but according to Coach Spurrier he is unblockable off the edge in pass rush situations, and he is so good they can't have him on the field at times in practice because he wrecks the play every time. If this is true he should be rated higher than the 83 he comes in at the start of the dynasty.