Archived Future Recruiting Caps

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JerzeyReign, Dec 8, 2011.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

How would y'all like to handle this? I really don't want to go back to the old way of limiting how many scholarships you have but will if you guys want to. Not really wanting to implement a reward system for recruits either. Personally, I just want to limit 5 star recruits to 3 and 4 star recruits to 12. No limit on anything else, no exception to policy. That way it'll leave some guys out there while not causing some of us to float around A+ year in and year out.

I'm also thinking about moving back to a similar rule of persuading players back. I'm thinking about if they are 90 or above with a major award to include All American, you must let them leave. If they are below 90, no matter what they've won, they may be persuaded back. That would kind of simulate kids jumping early and keeping us from building dynasties in 3 years with no struggling in between.

Just running thoughts of mine. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

There definitely needs to a cap. Cap on 5 should be 3 - 5. In real life that seems appropriate as most teams don't really sign alot of 5 stars its mostly 4 stars are the gems and 3 stars fill out the class. Texas is the only extreme case. But there should be caps on four and five stars, supplemented by 3 stars and lower.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

Agreed on both suggestions...although i thought the ruling on swaying was 95.....either is good though

4. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

I like a cap on :5stars: at about 4 or 5, but not on :3stars:or :4stars:. Just makes it less fun recruiting i think. Plus if everyone would fill their two deep roster with 3 stars instead of just recruiting the best guys out there...I think we would be fine without a cap, but oh well.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

If we're going to continue to allow all 25 scholarships we're going to have to cap 'em. I mean, 15 of your 25 scholarships will still be great players so its not really hurting too much. Most of the 10 remaining could be JUCO players or something.

Hopefully others will chime in on this.

bigtubb_

Nah, it was 90 and above. 95 and above didn't need an award to be off limits.

6. smace767

smace767 Walk On

I say cap is a good thing 4 :5stars: and 5 :4stars: is my vote.

the big issue is the number of 5 and 4 stars the game creates. about twice the normal real amount.

But it makes getting your guy more special and will actual bump of the challenge and feeling of reward at finding 3 star and jucos, signing 5 or 4 stars. i also recruit to my need plus 2. one of my starting olb was a 1 star juco i think he is a soph came in at 82. i believe in the plus two rule. hell i came up with it back in cream here in 08.

i have needed 18 to 20 the last three years but this year im down to 10. im only signing 10-12 guys even though i have like 17 guys on my board now, who i am #1 on like 14, and a close second in the other 3. i actual dropped like 4 guys that had me #1 this week, dont need them. after this week i will have my board down to the 10-12 im gonna sign and that will be it. i might only take one of those CB. Tubb, i just gotta see which one i snatch first and i might drop the other. i got other needs.

Im also good with the over 90 and all HBs that want to go go. HB have a short shelf life and if they win the doak or the Heismen they are gone. Like Trent, he is not coming back.

7. smace767

smace767 Walk On

I just wanted to clarify my vote.

cap limits;
    3 five stars
    5 four stars
    total recruits signed = +2 of open roster spots. walkons count as open roster spots.

This will keep the max 5 stars to users at 36 and max 4 stars to users at 60. Even if users scoop up their limits that leaves at least, worst case 54 top 4 and 5 star Spark 150 players to the cpu and gives cpu some talent.

commish posts the in season # and after players leaving updates the number. Guys should count and know what the cap is for themselves but to keep it legit commish posts it.

penaltiies first offense 1 70+ player be cut and loss of 2 ships to your next cap.
    2nd offense two 70+ players must be cut and 5 ships to your cap.

all 90 plus award winners go pro.
    all HB that want to go pro, go

8. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

not so sure about that low of a 4 star cap 8-15 for a power house ncaa team is normal, just go look at any recruiting ranking so 4 five stars and 11 Four stars or 3 5 stars and 12 four stars should be ok

9. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Im talking in game. we know the real life numbers but the rankings are subjective in real life, half the rankings end up wrong as those players either never play close to or play way better than the "stars given.

In the game 98% of the players will play like the numbers which calculate the stars. Almost every 4 star is a 4 star. Now there are gems and busts but 19 out of 20 four stars are 4 stars.

It just makes the cpu that much more of a challenge. Utah St outplayed Auburn all game even though the stars say that one team was way better. The only way to really make that happen in ncaa is to actually give the cpu a bunch of those upper level guys.

yes the elite teams sign 12 to 16 4 stars but they are signing 25-30 and filling 85 ships.
    Most NCAA classes will be 12 to 17. only like two of use have more than 12 Srs. this year.
    i say 3 :5stars: and 7 or 9 :4stars: sounds about right.

if you look at avg stars the class leader is usually at 3.7 to 3.9 avg stars.
    and the 12th team is usually at 3.4 -3.5 avg stars per class.
    if we get 3 :5stars: and 12 :4stars: thats 4.2 avg stars and even the 12 th team will get those numbers. 3- and 12 is too easy for most of the teams we use.

10. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Smace - I love the way you're thinking. I'm going to fall back and see if you can convince the others on a recruiting style/cap similar to the one you're proposing. Good luck

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  11. Stiffysix

Stiffysix WAR DAMN EAGLE

i like what bamaboiking is saying, recruiting to me is a real fun part of the game, just dont want to take away from it. plus if every team is getting the same amount of 4 and 5 star players what is the diffrence in a big school and a small school

12. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

I have only landed 3 four star recruits before this season anyway, which is the reason my team is struggling, my two cents:
    5 stars: 3-4 max
    4 stars: 10-12 max
    no other restrictions

I think the max should be about 15 "elite" level players per year, which should keep top programs reloading and giving users more tough decisions as we have to decide which guys to go after in which year. Might want to consider letting CPU manage cuts too, a couple of studs get cut because of guys stacking one position will keep us all from hording....imho

• Like Like x 1
  13. smace767

smace767 Walk On

recruiting is the only reason i prefer NCAA over madden. Recruiting is the game for me and i have had great recruiting classes.

point #1---we only need 12-15 players a year. If the cap is 15 Elite players, thats the whole class for most teams. then what is the point of a cap. With the 3 and 12 cap, Pretty much all of the top 150 will go to users still.

There are stud and impact 4 stars. some positions #1 players are 4 stars. we were still getting the top 5 and most of the top 10 players at many positions with just 4 stars. Right ow we are taking all of those players from the CPU. Let them have a few. It just makes the game better and gives them a better chance to actually compete and win vs users.

Point#2 --Caps make recruiting that much more fun and rewarding. My starting OLB was a 2 star who came in at five star level) got a CB who came in 79 who was a one star. there are plenty of good recruits to be had. i only need 10 players and my class will be loaded and i could easily switch 2 of the 5 stars with 2 four stars that i had locked up to fall in line with the "cap"and it would still be a loaded class.
    One of the things that got me upset with the position change fail was it made some stud 3 stars get cut who were gonna come in with good ratings because the positions of need were filled wit walkons.

To add to that, recruiting rule # 4080 each year of progression = a star rating. Meaning last years 4 stars are usually higher rated than this years fresh 5 star after progression. last years 3 star will be higher rated after progression than this years 4 star. I have a 4 star sophomore who is higher rated then the #3 HB five star freshmen. 3 star JRs will be higher rated then 5 star freshmen in most cases especially if you are a good school with a high coach rating.

Point #3-- This helps the CPU. The cpu i think may have won 2 games all dynasty and no games the last few seasons. The BIG difference with the cap is now the cpu is not getting hardly any impact players. each class there are only so many impact recruits. the users get about 9 out of 10 of those guys. If we cut back to 3 five stars that garuntees that about 10-15 five stars go to cpu teams. Same with the 4 stars, it will leave some good player for the cpu. Users will still pull most of the top 150 but the cpu would get a few they never get and a few more of those good 4 star players right outside the top 150.

I think every user team at this point could mass sub its second string in and they would be higher rated than any cpu team and beat any cpu team.

Actually it is a little late for a cap to really matter one way or the other since next years class might be the last class to see the field before the new release. most of the players we get now, dont start till redshirt soph to true jr year. 3 or 4 years. next years class wont be starting players for most teams for 5 seasons from now. it will be may / june and new release time by then, no matter how fast we go.

14. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

I lost to the CPu 4 times season 1, one time season 2, the other sliders were tough they just needed a few adjustments for the CPu defense

15. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Recruiting Cap (I'm Leaning Towards)
    3 :5stars: Max
    12 :4stars: Max
    No scholarship limit. No exceptions meaning you cannot sign an extra 4 star by not signing a 5 star or vice versa. If you go over your limit:
    - First offense: You must cut two of your :5stars: recruits that offseason. You are not allowed any :5stars: the following season AND your :4stars: cap will be set at 6. If you go over :4stars: the same rule applies. If not enough :5stars: then your two BEST recruits will get the axe just like the :5stars: recruits.
    - Second offense: All :5stars: will be cut that offseason. If no :5stars: you're Top 3 :4stars: will be cut. Your top 3 freshman from that class CANNOT be redshirted and will sit the bench the entire season (suspended). Your :4stars: cap for that season will be 3 and no :5stars: allowed.
    - Third offense: Cross it when we get there.
    I personally don't think any sanctions will ever be placed but we need 'Big Brotha' out there to discourage people from hoarding a position. Then again I kind of mixed opinions to come up with the rules -- the sanctions are a little tougher version of smace767 idea... so if you mess up you will be running something close to his idea.
    Thoughts? Corrections?

16. Stiffysix

Stiffysix WAR DAMN EAGLE

that sucks. 5 5* and 15*. with that up there, there want be hardly any off-season recruiting. and in life 5 star players are rare, not to many of them. on the game there are a bunch probably like 50 of them, should take that into consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Not following. I mean, we could go back to the reward system since I'm getting the vibe that most guys want 'lower' caps for top talent. Really wasn't trying to track all that but will if thats what we really want to do I will. I thought 15 would go through without a problem but we can certainly lower it.

18. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Im down for what you decide.

I still gotta say that 12 4 stars is still high IMO.

Many positions dont even have 5 stars in some classes so the best players at most positions are 4 stars and open game for guys to load up. Add to the fact that most guys only need 12 -15 recruits. The whole class could be 4 star and above and still cripples the cpu.

19. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

little does he know, if they sit without playing they redshirt...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Was thinking the same thing.

We made guys put them suspended players on punt coverage or kickoff teams and take them off the off / def depth charts. That one tackle takes the redshirt off.

21. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I'll build the foundation and 'Noles you can worry about the drapes -- nah, I'm already trackin' what would need to be done to 'suspend' players.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

How To Earn Top Recruits:​

:5stars:Recruits (indicates number awarded)

-Conference Championshipship Winner (1)
    -BCS Bowl Loser, excluding NC participants (1)
    -BCS Bowl Winner, excluding NC participants (1)
    -National Championship Winner (2)
    -National Championship Loser (1)
    -Undefeated Season (1)
    -

:4stars: Recruits (indicates number awarded)

-Prestige of school multiplied by 2 (max:12)
    -Winning Record versus Rivals (1)
    -Win Heisman (1)
    -Have Player Named To All American Team (1 per; max 2)
    -Break BCS Chaos Record (1 per record; limit 2 per season)
    -Win at least 10 games (1)

NCAA Sanctions/How To Lose Recruits

Losing Four Star Recruits

Lose 3 or more conference games= 2 four star recruits (had it at two but that might of been too low)
    Go over recruiting limit= All five star recruits (3 or 4 four stars if you don't have 5 stars) that season
    Game Simmed(no reason given to commish)= one 4 star per sim (JVig's decision)
    Lose Regular Season User Game= 1 four star per loss (max 2)
    Lose to Rival by more than ten points= 1 four star

Going over 5 star limit

1st Offense
    -Lose ability to recruit 5 stars for one season. Meaning your newly recruited 5 stars will be removed and any "5 star level" achievements you've completed will not be counted.
    -Lose 3 four star recruits the following season

2nd Offense
    -Lose 5 star recruits for two seasons (same principal as 1st offense)
    -Lose 5 four star recruits for 2 seasons (new recruits will not be affected)
    -Fired from school (moved to a 3 star prestiged school and below if your current school is 4 stars or above. moved to a 1 star school if your current school is a 3 star or below)

23. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

That was the old system. I'll put up a more updated Reward System in a few.

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

How To Earn Top Recruits:​

:5stars:Recruits (indicates number awarded)

-Conference Championshipship Winner With User In Conference (1)
    -BCS Bowl Loser, excluding NC participants (1)
    -BCS Bowl Winner, excluding NC participants (1)
    -National Championship Winner (2)
    -National Championship Loser (1)
    -Undefeated Season (1)

:4stars: Recruits (indicates number awarded)

-For Each Prestige Star You Have You Earn A Recruit (Max 6)
    -Win BCS Chaos Coach of the Year (1)
    -Win at least 10 games (1)
    -Win Conference Championship With No Users In Conference (1)
    -Place 2nd or 3rd in your conference (1)

With those edits the max number of :5stars: you can earn is 4 and the max number of :4stars: you can earn is 9.

Thoughts on that?

25. Stiffysix

Stiffysix WAR DAMN EAGLE

not enough 4 stars.