Game Capture Devices

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by CHUNKNESS, Aug 17, 2013.

1. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Just curious who in the league has a HD game recording device such as an Elgato or a Hauppage for recording your games. I, personally, have an Elgato and will be recording each of my games. Smile... :snaphappy:

2. heathh

heathh Walk On

I bought a Roxio Game Capture but I hate it, so guess I won't be using it! Not sure I want to drop $200 on one?

3. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Any idea of if they added the save highlight feature back into the game?

4. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

El Gato

• Like Like x 1
  5. guitarDADDY1208

guitarDADDY1208 Walk On

I've always wanted to get one but I've been reluctant to do so. I don't know which one would work best for me.

6. CHUNKNESS

I haven't seen anything regarding that Jon.

7. heathh

heathh Walk On

Will they be compatible with a PS4? Don't want to buy one that expensive if I can't swap over later

8. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I got nothing.
    I am a college student and that pretty much says it all

9. CHUNKNESS

Here was the response from Hauppauge on their Facebook page on June 21 following E3 2013...

I haven't been able to scrounge anything up on Elgato. However, my understanding is that the PS4 will have the capability to capture in game footage. Not sure what type of editing we'll be able to do, but there are many unknowns at this point.

10. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

I have the El Gato, couldn't be happier with it. I acticipate it would work with the new systems as weel, because you can capture more than games through it using HDMI or Component.

11. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Might not be necessary. I know Xbox will come with Twitch installed, perhaps Sony is doing the same.

12. CHUNKNESS

That's the word on the street.

13. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

You can easily use it on netflix streaming.

14. Hulk_hagen_55

Hulk_hagen_55 Hulkamaniac

Happauge HD pvr 2 is what ive got. im just struggling finding software that is powerful enough to edit the way i want and at the same time doesnt take a day or so to file convert and then youtube upload.. if i can cut time down theres is very little doubt you be getting more videos, but as of now, im at a handicap

15. CHUNKNESS

Edit down your video on the device software before converting and the conversion will be much quicker with the deleted scenes removed.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

How is the Roxio game catcher HD pro??

17. AveryB

AveryB Walk On

I'm considering in checking into the Elgato game capture system

• Like Like x 2
  18. LtJustice

My nephew has one of the Roxio one, I think it's that one but not positive. He doesn't really like it and wishes he had an ElGato.

One drawback to the Roxio, I believe, is it simply acts as a pass through and the burden of processing/encoding falls onto your computer. The ElGato and Hauppage encode the video as they transfer it, which is why they generally cost a little more.

19. sactown

sactown Walk On

I found this article online. It was written by Tim Schiesser on August 8th . Titled Sony confirms playstation 4 game recording is free for everyone.

Sony's game recording, streaming and sharing service on the PlayStation 4 will be free for anyone to use, as the company confirmed that the feature is available regardless of whether you've purchased a PlayStation Plus subscription. This contrasts to recent revelations that the Xbox One's Game DVR feature, which is similar to Sony's feature on the PlayStation 4, is only available for those with an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida was asked by fans on Twitter if the game recording feature on the PS4 would require a PlayStation Plus subscription, to which he simply stated "no". Later he elaborated that the functionality would be available for "all" users, similar to media streaming features on the console.

"The PlayStation 4's game recording feature will allow anyone to capture up to 15 minutes of footage - longer than the Xbox One's five minute limitation - which can then be shared with others. The console also comes with a feature where users can share their gameplay stream with a friend, and when things become tough the friend can take control to give assistance.

While many of the PlayStation 4's features will be free to use without a PlayStation Plus subscription, for the first time in PlayStation history the console will require you to pay for online multiplayer. Microsoft has required users have an Xbox Live Gold subcription for online multiplayer since the Xbox 360 was launched, while the PlayStation 3's multiplayer was free. Now Sony is set to charge for the feature too.

Despite the various differences between the two upcoming consoles, people are flocking to pre-order them at retailers so they can be guaranteed one for the holiday season. Many places have already sold out of day-one units, so come launch day finding an Xbox One or PlayStation 4 on the shelves might be a hard task."

My take on the article
    a 10 minute recording session is not enough to capture a entire madden game. The PS4 will allow for live streaming of games through a share service.

I went on and found this.

"Due to no multiport AV out and the ps4 now been HDMI only, no type of current capture
    device will work due to the fact that the HDMI port is protected by HDCP.

This leaves ps4 owners only able to use the built in share features to publish gameplay to the net. Though we have yet to hear the details on share functionality, I can see the limitations of the share features been a hinderance, and spell the end of editing and publishing creative gameplay videos.

My take on the current capture devices available to this day.

I think the game capture makers will find a way around this , but it sounds like all the current game capture stuff out now will be ineffective on PS4."

I am far from tech savy , but it does look as if Sony has intentions of making a full length capture of gameplay a reality in the future and they may indeed create a update eventually through a system update or a future model of PS4 but it sounds like the 1st PS4 models will make it difficult to impossible to share complete game video.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CHUNKNESS

Good stuff, Steve. We could always use a converter box in order to use our game capture device with the PS4, but I'm sure the video quality would be lost. I'll be hopeful that we see improvements with the PS4's internal capabilities by the time M26 is released.

21. LtJustice

Wow, I am not a fan of devices going HDMI only. As hard as it may be to believe for the suits making decisions, not everyone has HDMI capabilities (or even HD TVs for that matter). Not only that, but what if you do have HDMI but have a limited number of HDMI ports and don't have one available for your new game console? I have never been fond of having LESS options.

• Like Like x 2
  22. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

So, how hard is it to edit video with the Elgato? I have 3 games on video but haven't attempted to put anything together yet...

23. CHUNKNESS

It isn't too difficult Moe. Edit out the scenes you do not want BEFORE converting it to a format that you can use with your editing software. Converting and then publishing are what take a good majority of time.

24. heathh

heathh Walk On

I just purchased the Hauppauge today! Can't wait to use it.

25. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

Thanks Doug. Gonna try and edit some video today...