Game Changer(s) Watching Out For The "Little Things"

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Big_FN_Deal, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

Is there any way to get a specific GCer or two to commit to watching out for and pointing out directly to devs, seeming basic oversights in Madden? For example, ALL formation subs, including Special Teams, being available in the team management menu, the return of mass substitutions (1st, 2nd, 3rd string), offensive formation display providing personnel like it does in NCAA(here), displaying "Onside Kick" to the receiving team when the kicking team is kicking an onside(was like that in M12 but not M13), preventing in-game players from running through the endzone wall after TDs(it's petty but c'mon it should be addressed by now) and add back defensive player assignments, just to name a few.

I AM NOT SAYING THERE AREN"T GCERS THAT HAVE ALREADY BEEN DOING THIS TO SOME EXTENT OR THAT ANY GCER IS INDEBTED TO ANYONE. What I am saying is that I don't know of any GCer that is focused specifically on wacthing out for these little things and with whom those in the general gaming community interested in these things, could interact with. I am confident these little things cross every GCers mind at some point and likely even get pointed out to the devs by them but I think that's different than someone(s) being watchful of the little things the entire dev cycle. For instance , I don't know at what point GCers realized there wasn't a transaction log in CCM but maybe having one or two GCers focused on the little things like this could have pointed it out sooner to devs.

2. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

Maybe this can become a "little things" reference point but if there already is a thread for that, someone please direct me to it.

A poster named Spliff3000 on OS has been pointing out this little thing for years, hopefully someone at TSO can get the devs to address it or at least give insight on it.

"First and foremost, there needs to be some way to see defensive player names during coach cam. A lot of people that have been around for awhile know that I have been asking for this for years. Football is all about taking advantage of mismatches. There is no way I can do that if I don't know what defensive personnel is on the field until after I snap. Did his injured star CB come back into the game to line up against my star WR for this key 3rd down play or is he still out? Did he swap his beastly DE to the opposite side or did he line up in his normal spot? Does he have his speed rushers on the line or is it the normal front? Anybody that's watched a football game knows that the first thing a QB does when he comes to the line is look at the defensive formation AND the personnel. It's so they can call out who's the mike and stuff like that. It's not just for fun. I could go on and on and on about this stuff.

It's amazing to me that it's 2013 and I'm still asking for D players names. I've been asking for that since the PS2 era when I noticed how helpful it was in games like NFL fever and 2k. I can't take it anymore. In my CC, I lost games because I didn't know that my opponent had switched players around on D. I'm thinking I have a LB covering my TE, but it's actually a SS lined up as a LB, but I didn't know it cause I can't see names. Or I throw a pick or get sacked because I didn't know that he swapped his CB's to have his faster CB on my speed receiver and so forth and so forth. It gets frustrating and I have a philosophy that nothing that I do for fun should be frustrating. This will be the first thing I look for in E3 vids"

3. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I am not a GC , but I have talked with some of our game changers from the site here and they might be able to she'd more light than I can here. It was explained to me that not all GC's have the same focus points , some are all a out the details of the environment or other games modes than what most of the TSO community care about. I would be willing to bet our GC's have talked about these small details many times as well as core game play. From all of the explanations & discussions I have had I m confident that EA gets all of this feedback about gameay issues small & large. My take is that it more of a issue of what can be added improved on in a practical manner in enough of the time frame window they have.

Shaun Mason or Drifterbub am I fairly on point here or no ?

4. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I have read the same thing about different GCers being focused on different areas and that kind of goes to the point. I am asking is there anyway to get one or two of them to focus specifically on these little things in hopes that they can be addressed. That no defensive name thing mentioned by Spliff has been like this for years but considering the offensive names show up to the defense and I think the defensive names show to the defense, it would seem addressing that would be fairly simple IF the devs remembered to. I don't see something like that as a design choice, just an oversight, like with the lack of a transaction log in CCM for M13.

It's consistently stated by GCers that they are not devs, don't make the game and that they pass on feedback to the devs when possible, along with trying to give input on whatever they can. I have no problem understanding that, so I choose to try to limit my request to them within the parameters of what I perceive they can effect. Outside of that I just ask them questions that they may know the answer to from being more behind the scenes than me or that they may get an opportunity to ask in the future.

There was some "little thing" with the recruit classes in NCAA 13 that some GCers were able to get addressed directly while down a Tiburon last year, that Shaun Mason shared about on OS. It is that occurrence that prompted me to begin to lobby GCers about focusing on getting those type of small details addressed, more so than big wishlist feature items.

This thread has been up since Thursday and no GCers from this site has posted in it so far. For the record, if there is some perception that I am out to get GCers or have some agenda towards the program, let me state that is not my intent. I have a difference of opinion towards the GCer program than GCers might and a difference of opinion from some people in general but I am entitled to that, just like anyone else. However, like I said before, I don't have any beef with random people on the internet about this stuff, I just want licensed football games I can enjoy and try to utilize whatever methods I can to help achieve that.

5. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I bring all constructive feedback from this community with me to Orlando. If someone has been asking for certain things for 'years' then they haven't been utilizing the correct channels...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I don't intend to get into a pointless verbal sparing match, I think the little things I mentioned are valid issues presented in a constructive way and if any GCer(s) could focus on seeing that they and others get addressed, if possible, that's a positive for everyone.

7. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

In regard to player contracts, would it be an minor logic adjustment to prevent good players, maybe based on OVR or even just the amount of money being offered, from accepting sizable multi-year contracts with NO signing bonus? This has been an exploit in Madden for quite some time where a User is able to offer a high dollar contract with no bonus/guaranteed money and be able to cut/release the player at will, preventing a cap penalty. I think addressing that exploit might fall under "little things" because it seems like a simple enough blanket fix, imo.

8. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

9. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I am of the impression that "wishlists" and these "little things" I am referring to, are separate. Similar to if someone was posting about a glitch or exploit, that wouldn't go on a wishlist. Likewise for the things I am referencing, they are oversights and/or simple adjustments that need to be corrected. Maybe wishlists are different on TSO than I have perceived them to be other places but I always looked at them as ideas or features people want to see added opposed to needed fixes/corrections.

10. CHUNKNESS

The TSO staff will be able to differentiate which replies are ideas versus those that are glaring issues that need to be corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Game Changer here but this is Madden related, not much I can do on that front.

Even though I love me some Madden :D

12. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

You running a pool this year?

13. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

Appreciate the response though, maybe you could pass this stuff on to any Madden GCers you happen to come in contact with. Like I stated, I feel much of this may just be unintentional oversights that are bound to happen, nobody can remember everything. I am just hoping to get them addressed by having people committed to reminding the devs about things that they might otherwise unintentionally overlook.

14. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

I'd try to organize and format your specific feedback a bit better. Almost everything worthwhile I've ever suggested has been "heard" by the gamechangers on
    the site.

15. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

How exactly would you suggest I do that? To me it seems pretty clear and transparent what I am asking or suggesting but it's entirely possible I am missing something. Do you suggest I put together a list of "little things" from various gamers and email that to a GCer? If so, which one(s)?

I understand that no one person can remember every little oversight so I was hoping for some GCers committed to being focused on the small details that they might otherwise not, given all that's going on when at Tiburon. For example, like I referred to earlier about the lack of a transition log, there was likely so much other stuff going on at Tiburon when GCers were hands on with CCM at Tiburon that something like that got understandably missed. However, if someone(s) were focused on those type of things going in, they maybe more prone to catch things like that and point them out.

16. I Peench

Their time is definitely finite, and they are constantly bombarded with feedback. Being as clear, concise, and constructive as possible will bring things to their attention more quickly. If I were you, I'd compile a list and just spit out some quick bullet points.

SimFBallCritic AzureEffect and Shaun Mason are three GC's on this site that work directly with Madden (there may be more). All are incredibly receptive to good, constructive feedback, and definitely detailed oriented. I have total faith in these guys to hear me out if I've got something worthy of their time.

I would not get discouraged; with the right tone, your feedback will definitely be heard here.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I appreciate the help and hopefully what I am about to post doesn't come off the wrong way. I understand about being "constructive" and the "right tone" but 2 questions.

1) Have I failed to conduct myself as such in this thread or anywhere on TSO that you are aware of?
    2) Why does any of that stuff, within reason (meaning if I am not swearing at, being intentionally demeaning or ranting incoherently like a lunatic to a GCer), effect how valid the issues are and if they should be pointed out to devs?

I ask these because although I am perfectly willing to pass this on to any person that can hopefully help point these things out, there seems to be some implication that there be some special format or way that I approach GCers. Quite honestly I feel that I am a pretty respectful person in general, regardless of who I am interacting with or at least I try to be for the most part. I don't think you meant anything by your post other than what you posted but it's easy for it to come across like someone should jump through hoops just to get something rather simple to be entertained or considered worth the time by a Madden GCer, which is a very off putting notion, imo.

It's likely my post will rub some the wrong way, even with me trying to explain it but then they should be able to better understand how the things they state can rub others the wrong way as well, in spite of that not being their intention.

18. CHUNKNESS

I don't think anyone would disagree with you about your concerns that you have brought up. In the grand scheme of things I think everyone on TSO would agree with you that certain aspects of the game need to be changed, particularly those which you have addressed here and other parts of the forum.

At face value what you view as "rather simple" undoubtedly isn't quite as simple as it may appear. As a result, our ideas must be itemized and prioritized; knowing that they are all subjective. Ultimately it will boil down to time and money as to whether or not any of our suggestions fall into the next development cycle. What you or any of us see as priority or simple may not necessarily be viewed the same in the eyes of the developers.

Show faith in the staff at TSO. More particularly, have trust in the Game Changers. They read everything. If they need clarification, they will ask. Continue to be direct, but avoid demands, redundancy, or special treatment. If you feel your posts are being overlooked or unheard, then you are probably in the wrong community. I'm not telling you that to make you feel isolated or unappreciated. Rather, I am providing you with a response to reassure you that if you provide feedback in the appropriate channels, it will be heard AND action will be taken as long as it is feasible.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I feel where you are coming from but I think some things are getting misunderstood. I see various GCers on this site regularly, a few even seem to be Admins, so that's why I started this thread. I figured there was a good chance of one or a few of them seeing it and maybe they make a mental note or actual note to make a concerted effort to try to be more cognisant of the "little things" when at Tiburon. That's what I meant by "rather simple" in that post, rather simple to take note of little things, not how easy they are for devs to change.

I understand that TSO is this tight knit group and I think that's cool but I would be surprised if no one around here has ever noticed or mentioned some of things I mentioned in this thread. I just figure they are oversights that people may notice and intend to mention but likely forget or something. I honestly figured this would be a thread easily embraced by all, that others could add their "little things" to and GCers could possibly chime in on. Emmdotfrisk started a similar thread on OS but that quickly got flooded with more than "little things" so I thought it might be better served on TSO.

If people are somehow placing stigmas on the things I post because I am also a member of OS or because of what they have inferred from others perceptions of me, that's unfortunate. People keep repeatedly offering suggestions for how I should conduct myself on TSO as if I have done something to imply I would ever do otherwise. That stuff is getting weird, lol.

20. I Peench

First of all, you got two gamechangers to respond in this thread directly. They aren't Madden guys, but still. As for your tone? It's been totally fine, I was just re-affirming they like constructive criticism. Constructive criticism is the best way to generate helpful discussions.

Anyways, I think you mistook what I said: I wasn't saying you have to jump through hoops to get their attention. All I mean was that they are busy people, like most of us. They have jobs, family, responsibility, and they play games, too. Add to that the fact that they are incessantly bombarded with suggestions, and it becomes difficult to read through threads. Being concise isn't a necessity, it just helps them get to things quicker. It's like anything in life. The more important the person, the shorter my email generally is.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think you place more of a stigma on yourself than people here will put on you based on where you are from. We are a very accepting community provided people don't sign up here to start problems.

People offer suggestions because they are helpful. There is over 1.2 million posts on TSO and I basically bring a packet of information with me to each community event, typically from threads where we try and direct the community feedback. If everyone had their own separate threads then it would be a nightmare and things would inevitably be missed. I also keep an external running log of feedback/questions that I will populate if I run across a discussion and there are some good points/feedback.

• Like Like x 5
  22. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I am not the one that keeps reminding myself to be "constructive" on TSO because I naturally try to be constructive anywhere, that's others around here doing that.

I asked in the first post in ITT if there was already a thread for "little things" to please direct me to it. Someone suggested the wishlists thread and I asked are those type threads different here than other places I have posted. Someone else suggested contacting GCers around here directly and that they have a lot on their plate so keep it concise, to which I asked is there a more "concise" format needed than how I have done ITT.

Directly to your point about "If everyone had their own separate threads then it would be a nightmare and things would inevitably be missed." I would think it would be just as big a nightmare if all those people contacted GCers directly, individually. That's why I thought it made the most sense to centralize "little things" in one location where GCers could have a simple reference point. Again, this is not some out of left field notion, Emmdotfrisk tried this on OS but it quickly became a wishlist type thread, which defeats the purpose, imo. I was hoping that considering how disciplined and on message TSO is touted to be around here that a thread like this might be more effective here. That's exactly what I posted in the post you partially quoted.

23. I Peench

You still haven't done what I suggested. Centralize it, organize it. Go for it. I did it with my NCAA dynasty thread and not only did I get a gamechanger to tweet it out, but I got an NCAA dev to respond to it directly via twitter.

I can't help but feel like you're trying to be as cynical as possible with respects to this community. You're running out of ways to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Big_FN_Deal

Big_FN_Deal Walk On

I don't see what I am being cynical about, I keep re-reading post 1, 2 and 7 ITT and I don't get what's not centralized or organized about them. Let me ask it this way, what about the format of this thread, is unconstructive or not conducive for a reference point for any Madden GCer that chooses to do so, aside from the off topic stuff being posted, like this, that has nothing to do with little things?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  25. I Peench

I tried articulating it in my original response, perhaps I didn't do a good job. Basically, it's just difficult to read. Not to be obnoxious, but what line of work are you in? Are you a student? When you give a presentation, would you do so like this? There's no clear cut message and it's difficult to read. You're talking about several different things 1) Is any GC looking out specifically for little things 2) Offering up some suggestions for these little things 3) Referencing OS doing something somewhat analogous. I promise I'm not trying to be douchey, but this is a clusterfuck. It'd be a clusterfuck on Operation Sports, it's a clusterfuck here. I actually love the idea of this thread, and would like to see you flesh it out more.

I do think this idea warrants an independent thread. Again, I'd suggest creating one and listing all of the "little" suggestions you have in a bulletpoint format. Not only will it make it more accessible to GCers, but also to everyone else...such that you can generate more discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.