Game Length

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Game Length

Stykman and I played 2 games last night. One we used Fast Play, the other we used Broadcast. The games took about an hour give or take. I think, as a rule, our league will prefer Fast Play by default, but if both owners agree beforehand, they can use something else if they have the time to play.

The setup of the schedule is going to be interesting. I will post the options that we have and how many games / how long it'll take. Bear in mind that there is only single season functionality. We also want to get the pace down so that we aren't playing TOO much. Those decisions will go into how we decide to go forward.

As you play scrims, post some thoughts on what you see so far.

2. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Fast Play and Broadcast what is the difference?

3. Mags

Broadcast gives you a lot of the cutscreens (which you can skip through) whereas Fast Play gets rid of them. It's nice to watch the HR trot after you hit a bomb, but a lot of the other stuff is just visual filler. In the interest of keeping gametimes reasonable, I'd say Fast Play is better, though you can have either option.

4. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

We are using fastplay as our option mainly because it does speed the game up a little bit and it gives you the opportunity to play multiple games in case you decided to play a series.

The are some of the settings we have been using eel free to try them out.

9 innings
    HOF
    guess pitch off
    varible ump
    strike zone off
    hotzone off
    homerun celebration off
    ejection on
    injuries on
    pitching interface = meter
    baserunning = new

5. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

I know this thread is for game length and not settings, but Lou the baserunning... I think we used classic in one game and default in another. The default seems to be the one that most resembles the easiest to pick up...I think. Mags, can you verify this. My mind is a sieve.

As for the length of the game, the fastplay is faster for sure. But it is pretty cool to see the homerun trots. Also when playing a game online you have a "shot clock" to pitch. You don't see it but if you don't touch any buttons the CPU will pick a pitch for you. And then if you don't throw it the CPU will do that too. So if someone wanted to slow the game down on purpose they can only do it for about 10 seconds.

The other neat thing is Pausing. You have a TOTAL of 5 minutes of pause time during the game. And that does have a runnign clock you can see. So your opponent or yourself can't really stall all that much.

I can see games going 60-90 minutes depending on long innings.

6. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

Well like Mags said if owners agree they could use the different broadcast settings which would allow for play by play or homerun celebration. Our only reason for fast play was in the course of an evening or night during the week, you could possibly play a 3-game series against your opponent if you wanted too. We have a tendency to play a lot of games which fast play is the best way to go for us.

I don't think it would have to be a rule to use fast play only, I like the idea of giving owners the flexibility if they agree beforehand to use another option.

To get this thread back on track, I have been noticing in some of my games on fast play, games usually take anywhere from 50-60 mins based on the score of the game and the skill of the owners involved. Meaning, someone new to the game may have a tendency to swing at a lot of pitches which would make it a pretty fast paced game. Guys that have a little more plate patience and have been playing a little longer, the game is not as fast but still around 60-75 mins long. Extra inning games aren't the norm and I have yet to play an extra innings game.

I have only played one game with the broadcast/replay option and even though you can hit the buttons to kind of speed up the animation, I'm not a big fan of it. It was really cool to watch the replay of some of the close plays and homeruns but it replayed just about every play. There are a lot of plays in a 9 inning game. Hitting the button to speed through started reminding me of the damn "fight for the fumble" in Madden.:cool:

7. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

I was talking to another member about game length and I agree with him that a longer season would be cool. That's the most realistic way to play cause then you have to incorporate all your players and especially your pitchers. I'm not sure if it should be 3 or 5 but I don't think it should be any less. Also if we use fastplay we should get them in quicker.

Could the real stickler be not then length of season but how much time allowed to get games in before you advance. I think every owner has to accept some games they are not going to be able to play like in madden.

8. Mags

Yep, I agree with both of you. Even with fast play, a game takes an hour. Bear in mind that we also have 2 games a week with Madden (that's most of us anyway).

I think a longer series would be ideal, though I can imagine towards the middle and end when teams are completely out of it that things would fall off... especially with no offseason/draft/future to look forward to. That's something to be mindful of with this type of setup.

I'll go into the franchise setup and list out the scheduling setup options that we have. It's nice that the game gives a breakdown of exactly how many games and 'weeks' it would take to complete based on the settings you choose.

For those who don't know... you can select the number of games you play in a series, the # of times you face a division opponent, # of times you face a non division opponent, and how long it takes to complete an advance (1, 3, 5 days if I remember right).

With the advance, let's say we went with 3 days... The game expects the series to be completed in that timeframe. If not, the commishes have 24 hours (the 4th day) to essentially sim the outcome. I believe we also have control over who wins/loses which would be nice.

Again, there are NO CPU TEAMS. Every team needs a human owner, or profile... which sucks. It'd be nice if you could play your games against the CPU, and would certainly help advance things along but that's not the case.

9. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

For all of it's options, the game seems pretty gay. Played 2 games so far, including one against TRude. Seems like it's just a matter of hitting "X" at the right time, that is if your opponent even bothers to throw it in the strike zone.

I've found I prefer Classic pitching, is this a setting that I can have for just myself, and my opponent uses Meter if they want?

10. Thelou

Thelou Walk On

I'll save my reply for this for another thread. I want to try and keep this on topic.

11. chrisdstan

chrisdstan Walk On

Game should be set on fastplay for different reasons you can get a couple of your games in fast. Two you might have a madden game lined up and the third it cuts out of the flipping of the screens cause you to get a headache after awhile. I can't lie I do love to watch some replays but after awhile it hurts my eyes lol.

12. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

I'm not onve for fast play. all we have to do is push X and the animation screen is gone. some owners may not like it and some might so i dont thinik pushing X is that hard for the guys who don't.

13. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

I would like to see us play on legend mode. last year IMO legend mode was impossible to hit on, but ive played on it this year and it worked out very offensive still. strike zones off, hot zones and guess pitch off. 3 games series where you play everyone is your division and out of division once.

*another alternative would be breaking into 2 leagues. 3 game series vs. everyone 1 time. both leagues would advance at the same time. once completed we would merge the top 4 teams from each league(8teams) into a 1 game per series league for playoff seedings. from there we do playoffs and start again. once the 8 team league was formed we could do a generic tournament for non playoff teams to keep everyone playing. hope that makes sense. with that formula we eliminate season being too long because # of teams in each league would drop. takes a bit more work but im just throwing out a new idea.

14. Mags

Not a bad idea TRude. I think once we establish how many teams we go with (I'm still thinking 20-24 based on our responses), we'll have a better idea.

IF we split that into 2 leagues of 12, and then split those into 2 divisions of 6 each, that wouldn't be bad. Especially if we didn't want to preserve the AL/NL, but rather let guys form into divisions they wanted to play against other guys.

Either way, we have options which is the nice thing. I'll pull the interested guys who responded together into a list and we'll get things moving this week.

15. Mags

Not a bad idea TRude. I think once we establish how many teams we go with (I'm still thinking 20-24 based on our responses), we'll have a better idea.

IF we split that into 2 leagues of 12, and then split those into 2 divisions of 6 each, that wouldn't be bad. Especially if we didn't want to preserve the AL/NL, but rather let guys form into divisions they wanted to play against other guys.

Either way, we have options which is the nice thing. I'll pull the interested guys who responded together into a list and we'll get things moving this week.