GAME OF THE WEEK - 2011 WEEK 7

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by killajo90405, Dec 10, 2009.

1. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

GAME OF THE WEEK - 2011 WEEK 7

#1 Florida vs #2 Virginia Tech

This is a huge mid-season game that captures the essence of what Southern Exposure is about. A SEC vs ACC game that has huge BCS, recruiting, National Championship and of course bragging rights at stake. On to the match-ups.

Florida is smack in the middle of a ridiculous 5-user game stretch. 3-0 so far but LSU might have exposed some weaknesses.

Offense - The players were pointed out last week so lets get into some stats...
    PPG - 42.6, number 4 in the nation. This is a quick strike offense. teams have shut the run game down but inevitably get burned by Brantley.
    8 - The # of rushes by WR, this spread comes from all angles.
    73.8% - The QB's completion percentage! Can anyone slow down Brantley?
    To put it simply, this offense might by unstoppable.

Defense -
    3 sacks per game - Can Ju JU avoid the rush?
    96 - Total points allowed after 5 games. Very good considering the 3 user games.
    2 takeaways per game. Combine this number with their quick striking offense and it spells trouble

V-tech gets a chance to prove they're an elite team by knocking of the Sec's top team. This team's offense looks to show off at home and remain atop the NCAA scoring leaders.

Offense - Ju Ju Clayton has the ability to lead his team to victory, he also could be their downfall. Clayton has a 9/8 TD-Int ratio. But the guy has thrown for 425 yds/game! If he can play his best game of this young season, Florida might have to play from behind for once. RB Ryan Williams has 7 TDs and is very tough to tackle on first contact. Jarrett Boykin looks to improve his draft stock as he has already caught 6 TDs.

Defense - This group has yet to force a fumble and has just 4 INT's. However they tackle well from all positions. ROLB JR Jake Johnson leads the team with 37 Tackles and a sack. The big DT Kwamaine Battle has 8 tackles for a loss, this doesn't bode well for UF's ground game. If this group can cover down field, Brantley will be forced to make a 3rd or 4th read, something he was not able to well in the 2nd half vs LSU.

Key player
    VT - Ju Ju Taylor will be the key factor in this one. If his TD/INT ration is positive, the Hokies win.
    UF - Jeremy Brown - 6 DEFL this season. This guy is a lock down corner, If he contains Boykin they should be able to dismantle Ju Ju. However, he gives up 4" and is not nearly as strong. This is a great match-up.

Final thoughts - I am not sure VT has the speed in the secondary to slow Florida. However, I dont think UF will do much to stop Ju JU (That name is catchy ain't it) with that big O-line in front of him. Home field advantage will play a huge roll in this one.

2. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

Great match-up supplemented by a great write-up. Job well done Killajo.

As for my prediction, I cant really make one because I havent played either of these teams (ever). Florida has lost only 1 game in 2+ seasons, which is simply amazing. Aside from VTs struggles early on in year 2, the Hokies have been just as impressive. Florida is a better team on paper, but VT has the home field advantage. A true toss-up. Good luck gentlemen.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

That's nothing! I use the same playbook with my Michigan team. Last year my WRs had 29 carries. This year, through 6 games, my WRs have 16 carries.

Man! Forget you damned SEC Homers! Did it ever occur to you that Florida gets a chance to prove they're an elite team by knocking off the ACC's top team?

GO ACC! Represent!

4. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

This point was made because the SEC has won the National Championship both seasons so far and because I can't F'in beat UF.

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Nice write up Killa!

Two weeks in a row you're picking against me. What did I do to you? Was the way I mopped up Florida Field with you not impressive enough??? hahah j/k.

This will be a great game. Last time we played it came down to a couple key plays in the fourth quarter by my defense. I had many more playmakers that year and it was a neutral site for the national championship game. It will be much more difficult this time playing in Blacksburg with my younger squad.

It should be fun though, last time VaTech chewed clock the whole game trying to keep my offense off the field. That strategy has since been outlawed so we should get to play some more football this time. I'm looking forward to it.

I've had the opportunity to play against Russell Shephard and Auburn's running QB already this season so I should be prepared for JuJu's athleticism. Boykins is a beast, but I've seen the likes of him already too playing against Rueben Randle from LSU. The thing that scares me is the defense. I haven't had a lot of experience against the 4-2-5.

A defensive scheme I'm not familiar with and a lot of crowd noise will make things difficult for my offense. I'm sure I'll be able to put up points, but probably not my typical output. So it'll come down to my defense keeping me in the game and my offense doing enough to get the W.

6. GoGators

Also, I'd like to point out the league bias where again, nobody has cared to write up a scouting report on VaTech.

This same crap happened in the BCS game. Everybody dumped on me and everybody had sealed lips when it came to VaTech. I guess as the saying goes for the Gators, "you're either with us or against us. And if you're not a gator, than you're Gator-Bait!"

7. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Ha. Nice write up

8. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I still have u as the favorite Gators.....I just can't imagine anyone winning 5 user games in a row and consistentlywinning the TO battle. If you win this one on the road you'll be a 2TD favorite next week.

9. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Lest you SEC Homers forget, the ACC has already knocked off the top SEC team (and nation's top team) as well as another national top 10 SEC team and they beat them both with a horrible defense.

ACC represent!

And since Gators is whining, if I can find a good scouting report on him, I'll write a good one on VT.

10. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

Looks like UF's speed is too much.... 17-3 Florida at the half.

11. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Had 3 disconnects....not sure I had much of a chance tonight. Florida was clearly the better team on the field. I guess Gator is just gonna play the cpu. Maybe the cpu can pull off the upset, because I sure wasn't.

12. GoGators

Yeah, good game Hokie. It sucks we couldn't get a full game in. We tried.

As a note to the league: we played 3 times, 2 of which got past halftime. Both games I was leading by double digits. I think the best way to handle these situations if we can't get a completed game is just to add the games together and the leader gets to play the CPU. I think it's more than fair and is likely the best we can do with what EA gives us. I don't expect people to try and play wasting countless hours of their time if we have a semi quasi result.

Great game from Hokie. He played well and it was a fun matchup. I was up by double digits both times we got D/C'd, but Hokie wasn't going away that's for sure.

Also worth noting, at the end of the last game, right as we got disconnected and we knew it was the last time we'd try, you could hear the Gator faithful in Blacksburg begin to chant:

"SEC! SEC! SEC!"

13. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

This is not a joke....I'm doing so poorly that I just lost to Ole Miss 52-42. And I've lost 4 straight. This team gets no pressure on the qb and I suck with ant athletic qb on offense. I need to fire my offensive and Defensive coordinators asap.