Game of the Week - Week 1

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by FacePlant City, Jul 19, 2011.

1. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Game of the Week

Notre Dame - 19
    Penn State - 14

[​IMG]

Week one is in the books and many team's stories beginning to unravel. While many teams had an easy first week against lesser opponents, a few had pretty even match-ups (Washington vs Fresno St., Oregon vs NC State, etc.). While these few games may have been close in the first and second quarter, none was closer than the game being fought over in South Bend.

Notre Dame easily had one of the toughest season openers throughout the Big Ten, having to go up against Penn State. This and the combination of having new talent and a new coach gave the audience a spectacular game from both sides.

The game was a defensive battle the entire way through, with primarily field goals being the scoring method as they tried to keep up with Penn State's one touchdown lead throughout the first half. Once the third quarter had arrived, the key play that would change the game was a huge bomb to Michael Floyd that finally gave the Irish the lead. From then on, the game remained defensive and Notre Dame held on for the rest.

Outlook

On the individual level, Michael Floyd made the first of many outstanding plays that you will see from a stud of a WR. If he keeps himself from being injured and/or drinking, this star WR will be seen jumping over CBs across the league and maybe jumping into the Heisman race. A lot of this will depend on how well Dayne Crist continues to develop.

On the team level, this was a close call for two very balanced teams. Notre Dame has a lot of work to do if they want a chance against the monster of the Big Ten, #6 Ohio State. If Notre Dame can pull out a win against Ohio State, there will be murmurings of National Championship going around the Notre Dame campus and elsewhere.

Prediction

Notre Dame will lose to Ohio State in this upcoming game by a very small margin. The game will be closer than predicted by many experts. Score: 24-14. Notre Dame will still have a great season at the end, but there may be trouble looming with tough opponents in the future.

• Like Like x 2
  2. FacePlant City

BTW: This is definitely a work in progress. Let me know of what else I can do within it. I realized afterwards that I had nothing really informative for Penn State's season after their loss, etc. I will probably add that. Just focused on the user side of things this time. Let me know, though.

3. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

That was a nice article! Thanks for the props, it was a close game. Definitely had my heart racing at points.

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

That was good for what you had to work with. Maybe you could write a quick preview for the game of the week before it is played, then a follow-up after. That may give you more to work with.

5. FacePlant City

This is true. Maybe I'll shoot for that. If so, I might do it every 2 weeks, maybe 3. Find the biggest game in those weeks to write about, hype it up, and then follow up on it after it is played.