Game Of The Week: Week 8

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Aug 14, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Game Of The Week: Week 8

In a new addition to the league weekly news controllerabuser turns to a coach from the conference who features the game of the week. Do me proud VT!

2. VTEaZyE86

VTEaZyE86 Guest

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Oregon State Beavers (5-1, 3-0) at #2 USC Trojans (6-0, 3-0)

7:45PM EST on ABC/ESPN

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Last season, the USC Trojans were on their way to yet another run at a national championship. Led by first year starter Mark Sanchez, the Trojans rolled into Corvallis, Oregon for another meeting with the pesky Beavers on a Thursday night. Little did they know, a superstar would be born and they would be on the short end of a 27-21 game.

In that game, Jaquizz Rogers made his name known to the country as he rushed for 186 yards and 2 scores as the Beavers crashed the hopes of yet another crystal football in the trophy case at Southern Cal. Once again, the Beavers were able to defeat the Trojans on their home turf.

[​IMG]

This year, the rivalry shifts to Los Angeles and the Coliseum where USC hasn't lost since October 2007. The winner of this game is clearly in the driver seat for the Pac-10 championship and the automatic BCS berth. The Trojans look to make that berth a National Championship game bid, while the Beavers would make their first trip to the Rose Bowl since 1965.

USC is led by sophmore Aaron Corp at quarterback and junior CJ Gable in the backfield. Gable is averaging 113 yards a game while Corp has managed the offense well during his first season as the starter. While the offense hasn't resembled the aura of teams earlier in the decade, the defense has managed games well enough to maintain a clean slate so far this season.

Jaquizz Rogers has been nothing short of amazing in his second year with the Beavers, totally nearly 1,000 yards rushing and over 400 yards receiving in the first half of the season. He's a candidate for the Heisman this year and looks to frustrate the Trojan defense for the 2nd year in a row. He'll look to crack the 6th ranked defense in the league that's only allowed 546 yards on the ground in 6 games.

The key factor in this game is can the Trojan defense contain Rogers this year. Last year, they were unable to and got tagged with their only loss of the season. If USC can control Rogers and keep him to 100 yards, they should be able to win this game. Aaron Corp will look to mix up the offense with gives to Gable and passes to junior receiver Damian Williams and keep the turnovers at a minimum. Oregon State will look to pressure Corp and force him to throw into coverage; he has throw 8 interceptions in 6 games this year already.

Prediction
    Oregon State will be able to run the football on USC, but not to the ability they could last year. Homefield and 93,000+ will help the Trojans squeak out a close victory and keep their national championship hopes alive.

Final Score: Oregon State 24 ... USC 31

[Good luck to imafan51 in this one. Should be a barnburner]

3. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Very Good Read and Prediction

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Damn good write-up... lol, making me look bad but you won the starting job for game of the week from now on.

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Yeah man that was a good read.

6. VTEaZyE86

VTEaZyE86 Guest

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I put a bit more effort into this one that on my team thread. I don't know if you guys read that one but if not, its more of the same stuff in that thread.

7. DC

DC Shake n Bake

i try and read all the summaries

8. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Wow...impressive write up!