Game of the week

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by -Cougars-, Nov 13, 2011.

1. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

[​IMG]#11 vs #1 [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here we are on a beautiful day in Atlanta, Georgia here to preview the game of the week between the #1 ranked Wisconsin Badgers and last seasons National Champions, #11 Georgia Teach Yellowjackets. Both of these teams are in the top 25 and both teams have very high average scores. Both of these teams have multiple threats in the backfield as both teams like to run first and if it works then your in for some trouble. Georgia Tech's Marcus Wright leads the country in rushing yards with already 426 yards from just two games. He averages 213 yards a game which is impressive, Marcus is a shifty back with incredible speed coach Natural said Marcus runs a 4.3 the Badgers are going to need to find a way to stop Tech's potent spread option run game and contain Wright if they want to come away with a win in Atlanta. Georgia Tech came out with an impressive win against Boise State and just dominated Purdue. But this isn't all about Georgia Tech, lets look at the Badgers. Now the Badgers are coming off of two big time wins beating Notre Dame 59-0 and then Beating Virginia Tech 58-16. What won those games for the Badgers are one word DEFENSE. The Badgers don't seem to have a serious threat in their personnel for offense but lean to a more balanced look. The Badgers are ranked #2 in total offense with 737 yards and Georgia Tech at #5 with 937 yards? Someone messed up the numbers it seems. Both teams have top notch bend don't break defense. Both of these teams are in the top 10 for turnover margin, Wisconsin is #1 with +12 while Georgia Teach is #2 with +5. After talking about the strong points of these team we have to talk about the weaknesses. Both of these teams are sitting pretty low in passing defense it would be something if one of these teams just came out passing first to confuse the coach on either side.​
    Corso:[​IMG]
    Herbstreit:[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

Someone had to do this. I thought about starting a hype post yesterday but was too busy.

UW and GT spent most of last year on top of the polls, 1 and 2 but a last minute loss to Michigan in the Conference Title game killed any hope at a National Championship matchup. The thing that wins games for both of these teams is the big play ratio. Last year the Badgers only allowed one running back to surpass the 100 yard mark and te only way to do that is to limit the big runs. In fact, 13 times the opposing leading rusher did not eclipse 70 yards. Georgia Tech's defense can be ust as dominant. Only 3 players passed the 100 yard mark on them last year but 5 times, they held the opposing rusher to under 30 yards, an incredible stat.

But that was last year. For the Badgers, there isnt much similar with the starting lineup from last year to this, but due to the large leads from last year, many of these players have good playing time. Amazingly, Badgers HB James White has Yet to break a run of longer then 12 yards. This coming off a season in which he lead the Big 10 in average per carry with over 7 yards. GTech's Marcus Wright has already broke off 5 runs over 20, including an 80 yard score but surprisingly only 51 of his 426 yards have come after contact and he is yet to break a tackle this year. That's a ratio of 88% of his yards come without a tackle attempt. No Tech HB this year has even broken a tackle yet. On the flip side James White has broken through 4 tackles already and 41% of his yards are after contact. The Badgers have had some issues tackling this year thanks to a more aggressive style of play which just allowed VT's David Wilson to break through 7 tackles on his way to 184 yards. The GT defense has been far superior in the early part of this season stopping the run and should have the advantage.

Overall defensively, both of these teams have been scary good. The Badgers averaged 5.5 sacks in their two games and 4 INTs per game. The starting 4 in the secondary have been playing the ball extremely and if you get into open space past the DL, these guys will go after the ball. Tech averages 4.5 sacks per game without any coming from the LB positions. They have not been distressed enough to have to blitz and have been able to help in coverages. They have 5 INTs in the 2 games and appear to be a more zone heavy defense to fill homes and stop the shorter passing attacks. Unlike the Badgers, the Yellow Jackets are not known for going after the ball. they secure the tackle and get to the next play.

The special teams edge goes to Wisconsin. Even after last year's Ray Guy award winner Brad Nortman left, as well as starting Kicker Phil Welch and KR Nick Toon, the Badgers havent missed a beat. The true freshman John Lane has yet to miss a kick this year going 4/4 with 2 kicks from 50 yards already. Lane has split time with the walkon Stephen Watson punting and both are averaging around 44 yards a punt. With the GT punt returner averaging almost 15 yards per return, this may add up to a net of around 30 yards. But GT has struggled punting so far this year Justin Moore handles all kicking and punting but is only averaging 37 yards on his 6 punts. With the electric KDoe returning them averaging 15 yards per, they may be looking at a poor net of around 22 yards which will give Wisconsin short fields and may lead to points. Doe is the best returnman in the nation this year so far. on just 4 kick returns, he averaged 79.7 yards per return! Teams may be better off kicking onside kicks each time! The huge performance last week has created a lot of buzz around the nation and even given Kenzel some early Heisman hype. Tech has been much more mediocre returning kicks, with a long of just 26. If Wisconsin can get a return score, they will control momentum and they will have a good shot and winning this game on the road.

My Prediction:
    Georgia Tech: 24
    Wisconsin: 19

3. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

You play with big hit/strip on aggressive?

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I'm also curious

5. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

seriously?! does everyone accuse me of this?! i only adjust any of my defensive strategies inside the 10 yard line. I dont adjust anything with coverages or hits, ever!

GG nat. exciting. my defense showed up early but yours showed up late. Phillips gets rattled easily with sacks and I couldnt come near my WRs at the end. I also cant believe how many tackles my guys missed in this one. I felt like i was in decent position a few times and you got through for big plays. 354 yards passing was unexpected. I didnt have the ball much in the first half and then when i did get it in the 2nd, i was trailing and never established a running game. I only ran 41 offensive plays all game to your 65. 9:30 to 22:30 TOP. hope i get a shot to play you again for the title

6. The Natural

I wasn't accusing you of anything. You used the term "aggressively" in your post...so I asked if you used aggressive D which isn't allowed unless you are down in the OC (which I don't agree with tbh).

GG though, you completely out played me in the first half and I got lucky as hell you dropped those INTs. You dominated me in the first half but it was still 21-21 at halftime so I felt pretty confident the second half I would play better.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

agreed, any agressive D should be a no-n0.. imo (get my rhyme going there)

8. The Natural

Some premier leagues allow aggressive pass just not aggressive strip/tackle/line

9. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

sorry, I took it the wrong way. Ive been "called out" publicly 3 times this year for someone thinking i run things on aggressive and the last time it happened, i tried to argue my case and then he intentionally ran aggressive on me. it is just frustrating to me. the funny thing to me is that each of the other 3 games, i also lost! so i dont get why people need an excuse.

your offense controlled the ball and i went after it when i could but missed too many tackles.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Pass D is the most effective imo. or dline i spose.. but having cpu db's going for picks all the time makes a big ol difference.

11. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Thanks for bringing this feature back -Cougars-

12. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

No problem