Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hugezombie, Aug 30, 2012.

1. hugezombie

hugezombie Walk On

Jul 1, 2012

Clearly outmatched on paper, the #10 Iowa Hawkeyes walked into Lane Stadium to take on the #8 Virginia Tech Hokies. Everything that could go right for the Hokies went right for the Hokies, ball bouncing their way, lob passes into triple coverage caught, runs with 5+ broken tackles, but the Hawkeyes would not give up. Behind a career day for James Vandenberg, the Hawkeyes matched Virginia Tech punch for punch. Into the fourth quarter with less than 5 and a half minutes left, Virginia Tech scored on a 5 yard pass from Roberts to Leal to go up 45-28. That is where the magic began. Vandenberg started moving the Hawkeyes down the field connecting on 5 straight passes topped off with a 7 yard TD pass to Don Shumpert. The Hawkeyes would kick off to the Hokies and force a 3 and out. Vandenberg would march the Hawkeyes right back down the field and score on a 2 yard TD pass to C.J. Fiedorowicz. Iowa would then rocover the onside kick with 1:30 left. Mixing up the pass and the run and playing it safe. The Hawkeyes moved the ball down to the VT 21 yard line. With 3 seconds left Mike Meyer lined up for a field goal just to be iced by Frank Beemer. Meyer lined up after the timeout for the 38 yard field goal, well within his range. Hike, ball down, kick is up, looks good...doink of the left upright. The devasted Hawkeyes lose by an inch as their dream of an undefeated season goes out the window with their hopes of a National Title shot. In the postgame press conference, coach Mason was asked about this heart breaking loss. "I'm proud of my guys, we left it all on the field today. It was a very close game, each and every stat line was nearly identical between both teams. We had some magic going there in the fourth quarter, similar to the never-say-die attitude of the 2009 Hawkeyes that started 9-0. Our magic just ran out today. After beating #2 USC and #7 South Carolina, today was our day to lose. It is time to refocus on next week and playing the Golden Gophers and getting Floyd of Rosedale back." Today's game will go down in Hawkeye lore as the one that got away and surely could be in contention for game of the year.

IOWA James Vandenberg 12 yard TD pass to Zach Derby
    IOWA 7 VT 0
    End of 1st Quarter

VT T. Gregory 1 yard TD Run
    VT 37 yard FG C. Goulding
    IOWA James Vandenberg 33 yard pass to Zach Derby
    VT L. Thomas 55 yard TD pass to D. Roberts
    IOWA James Vandenberg 48 yard TD pass to Zach Derby
    VT L. Thomas 59 yard TD pass to D. Roberts
    IOWA James Vandenberg 67 yard TD pass to Zach Derby
    IOWA 28 VT 24

VT M.Leal 0 yard TD pass to R.Dunn
    VT M.Leal 9 yard TD pass to E.Martin
    IOWA 28 VT 38
    End of 3rd Quarter

VT M.Leal 5 yard TD pass to D.Roberts
    IOWA James Vandenberg 7 yard TD pass to Don Shumpert
    IOWA 2 point conversion good
    IOWA James Vandenberg 2 yard TD pass to C.J. Fiedorwicz
    IOWA 44 VT 45

James Vandenberg 24-37 415 yards 6 TD 2 INT
    Damon Bullock 14 Rush 55 yards
    Zach Derby 5 Rec 177 yards 4 TD
    C.J. Fiedorowicz 7 Rec 123 yards 1 TD
    Steve Bigach 6 Tackles 3 TFL 2.5 Sacks

Virginia Tech
    Logan Thomas 10-16 195 yards 2 TD
    Mark Leal 10-11 138 yards 3 TD
    Michael Holmes 13 Rush 58 yards
    Dyrell Roberts 7 Rec 227 yards 3 TD
    Tariq Edwards 10 Tackles 3 TFl 1.0 Sack
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ruckus Redbird19

Ruckus Redbird19 Walk On

Jun 30, 2011
    thats a bummer man. i know how hard it is to lose on a missed field goal (extra point in my case)
  3. tothevictors56

tothevictors56 Walk On

Jul 31, 2012
    Oh my, what heartbreak! Well played though it sounds like.