Game Play Discussion

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by charter04, Aug 29, 2013.

1. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I feel like this will be a good place to discuss game play issue's or other game play related things.
    Here is the link to the game play guidelines for NCAA http://forums.traditionsportsonline...and-general-expectations.101445/#post-1400884
    I know we all read this but, I try and look over it so I can stay up on the rules. I sometimes forget things or can't remember the rules so having it here might help.

I made a mistake in the SEC championship game in thinking my opponent couldn't go for it on 4th down while he had the lead in the first half. I went back after the game and saw that as long as your past the 50 and it's a yard or less you can go for it. I should have known that rule and didn't

I also want to discuss game gameplay issue's we might be having too.

Obviously Man to man press coverage is kind of over powered. Man to man two deep with press coverage is a defensive "money play" in my opinion. I used press too much in the 4th quarter of the SEC championship game I must admit.

The problem is that if we need to use press less then we also need to use curls and outs less. press is the only legit defense for those routes as far as man to man coverages go. Am I the only one who gets tired of see third down conversion after third down conversion when the cb's are play back in man to man coverage by throwing simple curl or out route?

I know cover 2 and cover 3 work too but, then the middle of the field is open all day. I completely under stand the frustration with trying to pass against press man to man but, I also know the frustration of stopping passing money routes without using man to man press. The TE out and flag routes are pretty frustrating too. If we know this is open 95% and we go to this on third down most of the time then we need to let the defense run man to man press. Unless you manually control a player its tough to cover.

Believe me I'm all for mixing up the coverages but, on defense we don't have many options. It takes too long to manually double team and change coverages. This game is clearly in favor of the offense.

Also read option is pretty money. I only use it if my opponent uses it first. It's a automatic 5 to 10 yards no matter how slow our qb's are. I don't know what we should do but, pocket passer should never run this don't you guys think?

I don't want this thread to turn into a gripe thread I just want it to be a discussion thread. I really enjoy all the members in this league. That is the only reason I think a thread like this will work. Anyone else have any game play concerns or things we can discuss?

2. RobbyB34

RobbyB34 Walk On

I am enjoying this league very much! It is difficult, but if it was easy, everyone would want to be in the elite with us... Only thing I hate is on the kick offs. When you start in the middle and then bounce outside. I did it against the computer some and that is easy cheese... No matter how to try to cover it, it always works. Same as punt returns.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Burrcat2277

Burrcat2277 Walk On

I'm not sure if the press is op as much as your corners just ran it to perfection. I've seen enough press and nothing close to that. Sometime a few quick slants, and quality play action over the top of the lb's can force them to back off. In our game I was getting jammed for a good 2 seconds at the line, allowing the backers to stay home and close the underneath. In that situation you can't expect a line to hold even with max protection thus forcing throws or taking sacks.

The only thing I found you left available was the flats, thus screens, quick outs with a tight end and wheel plays worked for the most part but for marginal gains.

• Like Like x 1
  4. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I think I got a boost for sure. I really think the fumble return for a TD really game my guys a boost. I still think that bump and run is over powered. Maybe my guys got hot. I didn't think to check during the game.