Game Scheduling

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Shaun Mason, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Game Scheduling

Guys,

I am not trying to single out Hokie here, nor am I *just* pissed because I took a loss.:) From now on, if a league member gives a very limited time window to play a user game, I am not going to penalize the guy who could get his game in pretty much anytime.

The reason this comes up for me is because during the process to set up a game with Hokie, I gave him pretty much pick of any time to play, and he gave an hour window to get the game in. When I got caught away from home during part of that hour, he posts saying he was online, maybe we can do it tomorrow.

I have simmed user games before, due to the deadline advancing, so I didn't feel it was fair to hold the advance until we could play, knowing I wouldn't do it for others. But the fact that I took a BAD loss this late in the season, when I doubt I would have lost to Penn State had we played leaves a pretty crappy taste in my mouth. Pretty much anyone here knows I don't complain about losing, and I am easy going, but this is a bit much for me.:)

So, note for everyone to see:

If you cannot be flexible to play your user game, I will allow the person who IS flexible to play against the CPU. You have been warned.

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Makes sense to me.

3. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Sounds fair

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Not trying to ruffle anyones feathers or anything and since I don't know all the details about what went down in this instance, I'm not speaking directly to it. Just in general, I'd add this consideration.

Since OSU did accept PSU's time to play, a game was scheduled and from what you posted it sounds like OSU did in fact default. Therefore it should fall on OSU.

We all are busy and if you set aside time in your busy day to play a game against someone who isn't as busy and that person schedules the game willfully then stands you up, why should that person get a free pass?

Now I understand that it sucks when you're completely flexible and the other person isn't. But the inflexible person should only get put on autopilot if no game time could be scheduled.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I can see this, but we need to also understand that some guys make themselves strategically unavailable. I've had guys duck me for multiple seasons. Not saying that's going on here, but if we start giving guys more freedom to be less available, we're going to see more and more scheduling difficulties as guys try to manufacture wins by making it hard for the other guys to play them.

shaun's right - the more available guy gets the benefit. Otherwise, guys will work the system to their advantage. You guys are nothing if not opportunistic. Better not to leave a big gaping loophole.

Sorry about the loss, shaun. Sucks to get done that way, but at least you're status as a stand-up guy remains firmly intact. There aren't as many of us around as we pretend.

AG

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Keep in mind I was told to give a window. When I gave a window, he replied how about an hour earlier? I tried my best to be home for that hour window. We missed each other by about 10 minutes.

I guess I don't understand in what world I defaulted because I missed HIS window by 10 minutes. You know, the whole 1 hour he gave me to get it in.:)

Shaun

7. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Shaun,

If I ever play Ohio St. My window is very open. However, I cant play between the Hours of midnight - 4:00pm because I need sleep and I work. Then, at 4:15 I take a shower and go pick up my daughter. by then its 5:00 and I am very open until 5:25 when I start dinner. After dinner, which is usually 6:30 I like to watch some TV with my child. That leads us to 7:30. I am open until 7:45 where I must give some play time with my wife. that takes us to 7:55. By then, either Wrestling is on or a good ballgame. This leads us to 10:00 and by then Im usually alseep early. Anytime in between there is good for me.
    (y)

8. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Like I said, I wasn't speaking specifically to what happened between you Shaun and Hokie in this instance. Obviously I can't since I don't know all the surrounding facts of what happened. I was just making a generalization about the rule. So don't take it personally.

Also, I agree that people can be opportunistic about these things. I'm just coming from the idea that since we are all suppose to be older and mature gamers that most likely have day jobs. We may not always have big windows to get these games in. With that being said, I think game times should be specific as to the time of kickoff and only allow a 10-15 minute discretionary period for tardiness. If someone agrees to the kickoff time and doesn't show up then they forfeit.

You don't see programs in real life scheduling a game for sometime between 1 and 2 pm.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Smartass.:)

You'll be right on time to play Army though, huh?:)

10. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I agree with what Shaun and AG are saying. It is sad to penalize someone who has post large windows with a response of little to no availability.

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Trying to get everyone to chill. But on a serious note, we should be able to work something out about scheduling. I really dropped that so I could get my point across and it goes with the Game Summaries area. People join these leagues that have WAY to much stuff going on outside of this league and find it hard to play. This in turn slows the league down and drops everyone into an abyss of depression and anger. I know this is only a game but when you can only play 30 minutes a day, 6 days a week...There is a real issue as to whether you have time to do this.

Actually, I would not mess with Army Now. I think they are bowl bound. Besides, Nesbitt is hurt and I have those Irish Girls coming into town to beat me into confessions

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

10 minutes? :D

I have about 20 smart-ass-type remarks loaded and ready, but I'll hold my tongue for the moment. Funny stuff.

AG

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The sad thing is that is 8 minutes wasted.:)