Game Strategy Question

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by GoGators, Jan 13, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Game Strategy Question

Ok, since usually I'm UF which I try to keep really balanced offensively I had a question.

Using Cincy, I'm basically implementing Brian Kelly/June Jones' (Hawaii)/Old School Steve Spurrier "Fun 'n Gun" style offense.

Is it against the rules of mixing it up if my offense isn't balanced with run and pass? I'll be mixing up the playcalling, but it may not be very balanced to run and pass.

2. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

This past season Cincy only passed 57% of the time (472 of 833 plays from scrimmage), even though it seems like they threw it a lot more than that. They run a lot of sweeps and delayed handoffs out of the shotgun, but I have no problem with it if you are not totally balanced.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I have no issue with teams that pass significantly more than they run, so long as you are mixing up the types of passes (ie - not running the same pass play 80% of the time). If you are running a shotgun based offense, I would expect you to pass 60-65% of the time with the occassional run to keep your opponent honest.

Personally, I'm not great at running the ball and am much more effective throwing. My game plan has usually been throw early then run late when my opponent starts running nickel/dime at me. Funny thing is, with most teams I've used I end up close to a 50/50 run/pass ratio by the end of each game, even though it feels like I'm passing 80% of the time.

I'm going to have to change it up using Bama though, their QB's aren't great throwers but they have a bevy of good backs, so I may have to learn the power running game.

4. marcman777

marcman777 Walk On

Ya, some teams are just Run strong teams and some Pass heavy. Nothing wrong with it.

5. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Np here either, i would think with that style of O we would see more then slants and such.

I am a firm believer in running your team the way you want as long as the play type / pass types get mixed up.

I plan to pass alot myself.

6. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Hey Just looked at my roster and I have Trindon Holliday (sp?) who has a 99 speed. Do we have any restrictions for this? I have 4-5 good backs but would like to use him mostly as a 3rd down back and also in shotgun.

7. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

If you want to use him as a HB or 3rd down back then that's cool. Just don't line him up at FB and run flat patterns all day and it's all good IMO.

8. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

drats you caught me back to the drawing board