Game Summaries, S6

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by IrishBearcat, Apr 13, 2011.

1. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Use this thread to post scores soon after your game, and a small recap of what happened so everyone can get extended insight of all games beyond the final score.

2. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

[​IMG]
    Total Dominance in Opener

Im not sure how it happened but if Fresno was a sign of the season to come, this Aztec team is very well rounded and played extremely well. resulted in a 36-20 win over Fresno State

Notes:
    1) Marcus Russell is gone, therefor I am back to having no "go-to" receiver. 6 players caught passes today include each of the starting 5 WRs catching more then one pass. Somehow my TE managed a -50 yard catch on a long completion he fumbled so Andrews stats are skewed. True Freshman Jon Lewis has stepped into the Russell role in certain productive situations and started his career off with a bang, scoring the teams first TD this year. Peter Owens first game also resulted in a TD grab. Only the veteran Seth Anderson dropped a ball today and the passing game looked very solid

2) The run game looked explosive! Andrews added a few nice scrambles but Hudson took over the game including a huge 70 yard score. the team combine for 30 rushes for 226 yards on the ground and that is extremely promising for the season to come.

3) Big Penn is still a dominant force in the middle. 10 tackles on the day to lead the team and recovering a fumble

4) Stew Vaughn proved why he is better most, making 9 tackles, 2 for loss, almost snagging an interception and forcing two fumbles

5) a pass rush! both starting DEs graduated so i didnt know where the pass rush was going to come from. After two disappointing seasons Aaron Scaled broke out in his starting debut with 3 sacks. Holman added a sack as well.

6) Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick, Kick! Bradley moved from QB to officially kicker this year and in his debut, he went 5/5 and even proved he can kickoff inside the 5 yard line! His one punt also went for 43 yards so the special teams was impressive today

Good win. Fresno only managed to make it look somewhat close because i didnt pass much in the 4th and kicked a lot of FGs because i did NOT want to turn it over in the redzone

3. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

Oregon 7 Air Force 27

I must say after this game this may be one of my best teams all-around that I have had to start the season off. My young backfield is amazing prolly one of the best in all of college football. Let it be known, I have changed my offense from Air Force to Multiple and my stud freshman QB is being RS this season since D. Smith has become a better passer and still has the ability to run the ball. My FB may become an AA after this season as a RB but that all depends on injuries and such. He seems to be very quick up the middle when getting the ball on triple-option plays and can break tackles or since he is so quick he is to the LBs before the defense realizes what has hit him.

My defense is solid all around from the d-line, LBs, to the defensive backs. My defense shut down Oregon's no-huddle offense all game. My kicking game was off a little but its not every game that the wind is 27 mph and blowing left to right which makes it darn near impossible to gauge when u are kicking from either hash mark.

It will be interesting week 2 to see how both Air Force and SDSU look when they go head to head.

4. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

UNM 34- WKU 21

Pretty solid game for us starting out, its still to early to tell how good we will actually be. We have a pretty solid o-line this year and my defense has some pretty good speed. This game was actually a lot less close than the score indicated.... they scored 2 td's on plays where the corner's whiffed on the pbu's..... I'm excited to see if we can move this program in the right direction.

5. IrishBearcat

----------------------------------------------
    PITTMAN LEADS RAMS TO VICTORY
    IN ROCKY MOUNTAIN SHOWDOWN

[​IMG]

Colorado State entered their first contest of the season against hated rival Colorado with many questions regarding how good the team would actually be with all the losses due to graduation. The offense had graduated It's top QB, top 2 RBs, top 4 WRs, several OL, and several key players on defense. After a heated spring battle QB Austin Pittman shocked everyone by winning the job. He would quiet all doubters after his performance in his debut as a starter.

The very first play of the game Colorado began the season with some trickery and tried a flea-flicker play that ended in CSU MLB Elvis "The King" Terrell intercepting the football and giving the Rams great field position. Pittman and the offense moved the ball inside the 5 yard line but after being stuffed on 3rd down they settled for a field goal.

CSU's defense forced a three-and-out to follow their turnover on the last drive. QB Austin Pittman would hit slot WR Patrick Lambdin on a 64 yard TD pass to begin the season. The Rams lead 10-0 at the end of the first.

The Ram's offense would take off in the second quarter. Pittman orchestrated another touchdown pass on a 19 yard pass to TE Mark Brock, following a 39 yard TD rush on a QB keeper, he would hit WR Kyle Robinson on a 4 yard TD pass, and then cap off the half with another TD pass to WR Patrick Lambdin inside the redzone. Colorado State went into halftime up 38-0 after completely dismantling the Buffaloes.

The defense had only allowed the CU offense to cross mid-field once in the entire half. The starters were pulled midway through the third quarter. The backup's put together 10 points and the reserve defense secured the shutout.

WEEK 1 KEY PERFORMANCES

[​IMG]

"I'm very pleased with both sides of the ball," said Coach IrishBearcat, "That's how you're supposed to do it. We had a lot of young and experience guys go out there today but you could finally see the offensive and defensive system we've implemented flourish."

Colorado State hosts West Virginia next week in what should be a a battle of two top 25 teams.

6. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Bearcat, how are you able to post your score box like that? I am having problems doing that.

7. IrishBearcat

Bring up the box score in, then hold down CTRL + Print Screen. Go into paint (the program) and then do the selection box tool and right click and paste.

I save the picture and upload it to photobucket. Then right click and copy image URL.

8. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Wyoming traveled to Mississippi to take on the Southern Miss Golden Eagles. Wyoming went into this game as the underdogs as usual. So Wyoming proved all the critics wrong by destroying the USM Golden Eagles 49-24. Wasn't even a contest as Anthony Butler went 27-45, 537 yards and 6 Touchdowns and 1 INT. The Cowboys are finally trying to establish a pass first offense as that method failed terribly last year. Let's hope the cowboys can be a threat in the MWC conference this year. Coach Duke has been prepping his Cowboys making it to a bowl game last year but ended with a devastating lost. We will see how his Cowboys play this year let's hope he will have a better season.

9. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fans were eager to storm into the stadium in Provo to watch their beloved Cougars take on arch rival Utah State in the season home opener. Everyone in Utah was at this game, what else are they going to do on a Saturday?​

Coach Fuzzy took a lot of time in the offseason to revamp his whole offensive scheme, and brought some staff in from Nevada who knew the pistol like the back of their hand. The defensive scheme would remain the same (3-4), but the defensive philosophy has changed dramitically. The Coach wants to implement a "bend-but-don't-break" approach, as last year BYU was slaughtered by big plays. It is no secret that the Cougars will be running a lot of zone this year. In week 1, it looks these changes paid off big time.​

The game began with Utah State receiving the ball first. A few plays into their drive, and a big hit by CB Mike Love on a WR jarred the ball loose and BYU recovered the fumble. The stadium exploded. This fumble would be the first of four recovered by the Cougars; they didn't recover that many the whole season last year. The Cougars methodically drove up the field, and ended the drive with a 17 yard TD rush by the backup HB Vincent Mitchell (Doyle was winded).​

In the second quarter, BYU really established their dominance. Utah State could do nothing on offense, and BYU put up 13 more points, making it a 20-0 lead at the half. Starting QB Charles Andrews was knocked out the game early with an injury, be he should be fine for week two. The second half was more the same, as each quarter sponsored huge runs by BYU's HBs (Doyle and Mitchell).​

The two QBs combined for 5/12 87 yds 0 TDs, 0 INTs. It was a productive day passing, but the Cougars didn't have to. Doyle and Mitchell both had over 100 yards rushing and 2 TDs each. Their combined yardage was 273 on 30 carries. This was a team effort, there was game great blocking that set up the holes for the backs. The defense played an amazing game, holding Utah State to just 287 total yards and causing 4 turnovers. Coach Fuzzy was very pleased with how his team played, but stated there is no time to celebrate with #7 USC coming to town next week. Can BYU upset another top ten opponent at home like last season? Fans sure hope so.​

10. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

[​IMG]

UNLV Upsets The Bulldogs!

UNLV wins against a vicious Georgia team but now they are without the offenses biggest threat at QB.

UNLV's win over Georgia was a huge win in the eyes of Rebel's fans. After the departure of Taylor Barnhill, it was unclear who would take over for the career passing leader. "It was really tough. Spring Practice was going to tell a lot of what the season would hold," said Coach Wildcat during the first spring game practice. "Mark Robinson looks to have major upside with his speed and his ability to distribute the ball to the receivers. But we got two seniors in Chris Gay and Lucas Sands who will give him a run for his money." But after the Spring Game it was definite who would head the Rebels. Mark Robinson had an amazing game passing for 22/28 and 258 yards and 2 TD scores. He also rushed for 73 yards. "Mark has really established himself as a big player and a leader to the offense. He should take the thrown from Taylor and help lead the Rebels back to where they went last season" Coach Wildcat said.
    But then came the first game. Mark was showing the arrogant Bulldogs what he was made off. He was quite a threat. He was 12 for 19 and 176 yards and rushed for 76 yards in the first half. But in the second half on the first drive, Coach Wildcat called a Power O PA with a streak to WR Marcus Mayo. "I rarely call PA. It's not something I like to do. Leaving the QB in a position where his back is to a potential blitz for a good amount of time. But I saw something in the defense." Say Coach Wildcat about the play call. Mark came off of his play action and threw the ball to the streak for Marcus. The pass was broken up. But also, Mark was down. "As soon as I saw this is was very worried for the kid. I knew it wasn't good. All I could do was feel for the kid. It's not something I traditionally call and I blame myself for putting him in a position for him to get hurt like this." Coach Wildcat says. The prognosis was an Abdominal tear. Mark was told he wouldn't be able to play for 9 weeks. "This was hard to hear as a Senior that I'd lose 3/4s of my season. Really hits your hard when you know for sure you won't play in the NFL." Say Mark. "It was hard to have happen but we still had a good amount of time in the game to play. So our emotions had to hold until the end of the game." With the score 17-14 in favor of the Rebels at this point Chris Gay had to step in. "I was nervous. I was not ready for game action for sure. And it sadly showed." UNLV was forced to punt the ball away and then Georgia made it's first mistake of the game. Kevin Riley made a huge int which he took the other way for 6 putting the Rebels up by 2 scores. "The ball kind of sailed to the running back and i just stuck my hands up hoping to bat it down. Next thing i know i have the ball and he tried to tackle me. He actually pushed me and kept me in bound and it was a foot race from there" says Kevin. "Kevin has made plays like this all his career at Las Vegas. He just knows how to spark the team up." Coach Wildcat says. The Rebel's defense never looked back. Two more INTs including a pick in the end zone by Joe Bray ended the game and UNLV came away with the win. "This was a great win for our program and we got another big one with Miami next week. It's time to buckle down, enjoy the film for a day, but then we got a big task with Miami." says Coach Wildcat.

11. DMan22

DMan22 Walk On

Week 1

Utah-31
    Purdue-21

Week one is often a time of hope and revival for two teams. Only one team can come out with that same feeling still alive. Fortunately for Coach DMan and the Utah Utes, they were able to leave week one happy. Facing the Purdue Boilermakers was a challenge that Coach DMan said his team was concentrating on for the whole off-season, and for a good portion of the game, this appeared to be the case. A close 17-14 Utah halftime lead was stretched to 31-14 at the end of the 3rd thanks to two long drives orchestrated by QB Andrew Montgomery (14-26, 209 yds, 2 TD-1 INT). RB Donald Carey stepped up big-time for the Utes, rushing for 109 yds and a TD, when starting RB Josh Lambert left for the game early on. WR John Clark also had a good day, as he added up 85 yds along with a TD on 5 catches.

The D looked shaky at first, but turned the heat up in the second half thanks to the efforts of DE Chad Powell ( 5 tackles, 2 sacks). The one facet that Coach DMan STRESSED the D has to improve on is the big plays given up. Purdue's 3 TD's averaged 75 yds per play!

The Utes open up 1-0 on the season, and have a bye week next week to improve because the week after brings up Big East opponent Pittsburgh.

12. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

[​IMG]

Guess who went 14/17 and didnt have a receiver drop any balls?
    [​IMG]
    THIS GUY!

but seriously, coming into the Air Force game, I knew it was gonna be Pass vs Run, but i also expected inexperience vs inexperience with out young players. I got the ball first, had a decent run, felt good, made a good throw and i fumble it over! play 2, already a TO. but held him to 2 yards on his 3 carries and he kicked a FG. a looong FG and it came up short. I was off the hook. I wasnt sure if I should trust the pass today so I went conservative as I do too often and tried my pro style balanced offense and it wasnt too effective. After I punted he got it and broke off a wildcat 50+ run that I was very unready for. After a while of good defense, My passing game heated up and i got on the boards to tie it up at 7. he got it inside the 5 but was forced to kick a FG as the half expired 10-7

Didnt take long for him to get back into the endzone in the 2nd half on an option keeper and I was down 10. I was not feeling confident at this point but I had moved to a more wide open passing attack to speed up my offense and it was very effective for me. Lewis caught a ball deyond the defense and make it in for a score to get down 3. and in 15 seconds, Barrett had already gone 76 yards on another TD score. Frustrated, I kept focus and used my ipod to stay calm. My passing game was still solid and it got me into range for Hudson to pound in another short score.

entering the 4th quarter, I was playing good defense, havign just forced an intercpetion. When I got the ball I marched right down the field again but inside the 5 i paniced, misread a receiver and threw it right at the defense. I was crushed. Down 3 and I thought i just gave another game away. His rushing attack wasnt tearing me up at this point but it did enough to get 1st downs. luckily I made some nice plays and FINALLY forced a punt with 118 left and I still had 2 TO. I was feeling good at this point until his punt landed inside the 5. Patiently, I stood in the pocket and read the defense finding a deep slant for good yards. then on the next play the CB was short zone and I threw deep to Anderson and he out jumped the safety over the top and went untouched after that for the 76 yard go ahead TD! with the game a 4 point margin, he needed a TD and was forced to pass. first pass was a bad deep underthrow that i totally misplayed and his receiver thened up dropping what was probably a TD. then coming back on the next play, Penn undercut a receiver for the game sealing interception.

finally the Aztecs won a big game (28-24 final) . Air Force was the favorite for the conference title but since this was the conference opener, SDSU gets one week to sit on top of the conference leader board!

Andrews went 14/17 for 336 yards, 2 TD and the one bad INT. Hudson had some nice runs but I didnt have long drives so he only had 13 carries. All 5 WRs caught passes and 5 players caught 2 or 3 balls. Lewis went over the 100 yard mark for the first time in his career, leading the team on the day. the defense didnt force any sacks but did nab the 2 interceptions from Holman and Penn. Burnett had another solid game locking down the receivers.

For Air Force, Smith went 8/12 passing but most of which was under 10 yards per and he totaled just 69 yards in the air with no TD and the 2 int. Barrett had the 2 beast runs totalling 129 but the rest of the day was productive 15 carries for 64 yards still. but he lives on the explosive carries. Smith added 51 yards on 4 carries including the 27 yard score. the air force d line is quick. both ends get up when they need to and both got a sack while i scrambled into a DT sack.

2-0!

• Like Like x 1
  13. fuzzyl0gic

@Oshiomogho

Epic win man, congrats!! Stay focused though, you can be from top to bottom all too quickly in this league. You just made me that much more nervous about scheduling a lot of recruits to visit when you come to Provo in week 5.

14. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Yeah oshio... God forbid you pull a me and loss to teams like shitty Wyoming and TCU.

15. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

Good game bro.. finally season 6 and you beat me, I guess I deserve it LOL....

• Like Like x 1
  16. MNoffke

MNoffke Walk On

Week 3

LSU 38 Air Force 45

After a disappointing loss to SDSU Air Force had to step up there game. In week three Air Force implemented more efficient passing out of the shotgun. This proved pivotal to the Air Force run game as it opened up running lanes for Chavis and (POG) Barrett. The game went back and forth all game. The Air Force defense still needs work and moving around personnel may do the trick and the run defense is in place however the secondary needs a little work...

17. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

nah, i just lose to Hawaii... twice

18. fuzzyl0gic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The BYU Cougars came up just short of what would have been an amazing upset. Shocking to everyone, this game was a defensive battle. BYU was losing 0-6 before the half, but got the ball with around 2 minutes left and managed to keep a drive alive that milked the clock. Doyle ran in a short TD from the goal-line with around 9 seconds to go in the first, putting the Cougars up 7-6.​

Not much happened in the 3rd quarter, a lot of punts. USC managed to put together a drive and they went for the two-point conversation and failed. BYU found themselves trailing 12-7 going into the 4th. At this point in the game, USC has won the turnover margin by +2. Andrews threw two interceptions, but he was getting clobbered as he released the ball both times. The offensive line struggled all day to protect the QB. He regained some confidence as early in the 4th quarter he connect with a wide open David Lindsey for a 44 yard TD pass. BYU went for 2 to gain the FG lead, and they go up 15-12 over USC.​

USC would not take no for an answer, and put together another nice drive and capped it off with a short TD scamper. BYU received the ball with around 4 minutes left, and they had a legitimate shot at winning this thing. They would need a long drive that would chew up the clock and leave them with the lead. Andrews led the team down to the field, they got well in field goal range with time winding down. On 3rd down, Andrews saw a WR gain some space on a defender in the endzone. The defense was in zone coverage. Andrews tries to fire the ball in there for the game winning TD, but the safety makes a remarkable move and closes in on the ball. He picks it off just before it gets to the receiver. Andrews is devastated, and walks off the field with his head down and heads straight for the bench.​

All USC needed to do was gain a first down with time winding down, and they did. As they kneeled to victory, Coach Fuzzy walked over to Andrews and told him he played a hell of a game. All day long he was taking brutal hits with no protection in the pocket, as BYU nearly pulled off the impossible. It's hard to win with a +3 turnover margin, no matter who you're playing. Especially an elite team. Coach Fuzzy remains confident, and says that if his team plays with this much effort every week, he can't ask for much more from his team.​

19. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

[​IMG]

UNLV Loses a Defensive Battle with Miami

UNLV's defense play a spectacular game last week. They made all the plays necessary to win. They are going to be a strength this season. "Our defense was phenomenal. We don't have the play makers but we have a bunch of hard workers who care about the team and would give up their body to make the plays necessary to win." Say Coach Wildcat. But the offense is another story. With Mark Robinson gone, it's hard to move the ball. UNLV doesn't have the prolific halfback that they always have to move like in years past. "We don't have our explosion from the back field. Even last year when we didn't run the ball, Cornett proved to have explosion which made the running game a threat like against Air Force." Coach says. "We also don't have play making receivers. Again, we have a group who knows how to run their routes and make a catch. We just need a QB to get it there. And it is upsetting to say but today Chris wasn't the guy. We are going to have to give Lucas a chance. He doesn't have the feet of Chris but we need an arm." Chris Gay completed less than 50% of his passes and had two INTs in the redzone on corner routes which were under thrown.
    Miami was having a tough game. They were inconsistent through the air. Adam Smith snuck an INT and the defense held them from all but one big play. That big play right before the end of the 3rd set them up for the go ahead score in the 4th. "Our defense can't be held responsible. To play lights out and give the effort they did and give up only one big play to a great Miami team is a hell of a day." Coach says. And with a good 5 mins left in the game Chris Gay couldn't make the throws necessary to win. "Yes Chris was sacked but a lot of those were him not getting the ball out after his 2 picks. He was apprehensive and we can't have that. Taylor threw picks but he made up for them. It's hard to knock a kid with the work ethic like Chris' but we need offense. In the one and a half games he was inconsistent. So we gotta change something and give Lucas a chance." UNLV goes to rival Nevada for a crucial game.

20. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

[​IMG]

3-0!

After the huge win over Air Force, it was nice to have a cool down game against the Rival Spartans of San Jose State. Andrews continued to put up big numbers as the Aztecs cruised all game to the easy win. He completed a nice 64% of his passes and went off for 426 yards and three scores. Hudson tried all game but could not get much on the ground, getting just 54 yard on his 22 carries but found the end zone twice. True Frosh Jon Lewis has proved he can be a stud in the A receiver spot that other greats like Brown, Sandifer, and Russell made famous. He caught another 6 balls for 140 yards and 2 scores while Owens, Banks and Anderson caught 4 balls each and Carroll caught 2. Banks scored the other touchdown. I love the offenses balance

defensively, Stew Vaughn... done for. He'll miss most of the season with torn abdominal muscle. True freshman Jay Ford then split time with veteran Mike Carter at the SS role for the rest of the game and will have to fill in permanently. Burnett had another huge game shutting down the offense. Even intercepting a ball in the end zone and almost grabbing two others. Holman forced a fumble but the defense could not capitalize. San Jose got lucky on both their touchdowns as they missed a FG on the first one but someone hit the kicker and gave them the ball back at the 7. and the 2nd TD my CB ran into the LB and then their WR outran my defense for 85 yards. overall the defense looked elite.

21. BakerWildcat7

BakerWildcat7 Walk On

UNM 21
    UTEP 27

In a game where both offenses stats were pretty much identical, turnovers proved to be the deciding factor, giving the Lobos their first loss of the season. UNM showed a very balanced attack all game finishing with 108 on the ground and 201 in the air. But UTEP was able to keep up with New Mexico, gaining 302 yards of total offense. New Mexico led most of the game but was shut out in the second half. With the Lobos down by 6 QB Ken Garcia led them down the field and put his team in postion to go up 28-27. On 3rd down with about a min 30 left in the game, freshman RB William Burton fumbled on the 1 yard line and it was recovered by the Miner defense. Coach Baker was clearly disappointed in the games outcome, saying in his post game interview, " These are the kind of mistakes that can't be tolerated when your trying to build a championship program, we have just got to learn how to finish." In spite of the loss, there were a few bright spots in this game. QB Ken Garcia was solid, finishing the game with 201 yds and 2 tds passing, and 57 yards on the ground. Senior wideout Brian Foster also had a monster game with 5 rec for 131 yards and 1 TD. UNM hopes to turn around there misfortune and pick up a big win against #15 Boise State.

22. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

313 yards rushing!
    almost 8 yards per carry!
    Pathetic defense!

Andrews dominated the game except two passes I forced and he was able to take it away. the three turnovers were clearly the difference as both teams could basically move the ball with ease. frustrating

23. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

One of those picks was by yours truly, Jonathan Scott. Remember him ;)

24. Oshiomogho

Oshiomogho Donnie Darko

ya, my WR was wide open behind him and the pass just wasnt lofted enough. would have been an easy TD. *sigh*

25. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

My defense played really well. A FF plus Recovery and Two INTs. I could not be happier. And i'm glad i learned i'm not a passing team but a running team now. Wish i knew that vs Nevada and Miami =[