Game Summaries: Week 12, Season 2

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Oct 19, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Game Summaries: Week 12, Season 2

Post in here.

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

New Coach Nearly Leads Cougs to Victory, Loses 50-44 in OT

New Coach Nearly Leads Cougs to Victory, Loses 50-44 in OT

[​IMG]
    COUGS LOSE 50-44 in OT

After acquiring the head job at Washington State University, Frisk coached a hell of a game against the #8 ranked Rutgers Scarlett Knights. The Cougars traveled to the Birthplace of College Football, competing with the 9-1 Knights down to the last snap. Wazzu had two opportunities to win the game late in the 4th quarter but missed to field goals which could have circumvented OT.

Key Players
    * QB JT Levenseller 19-35 335 yards 3 TD
    * HB Jeff Montgomery 24 Carries for 155 yards
    * RE Brandon Rankin 12 tackles 1 Sack

PLAYER OF THE GAME

[​IMG]

WR Jeshua Anderson 4 catches 119 yards 2 TD

The Cougars 1-8 (1-6) will try and build some steam when they resume conference play at home in Pullman against the 4-6 (3-4) UCLA Bruins on the 20th of November at 12:30 PM.​

3. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Welcome to the league Frisk. You must be a glutton for punishment. I personally like rebuilders, but had to get a good team in one of my leagues. That is going to be a tough squad to rebuild. Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, USC, all are ahead of you recruiting guys this season, and will be stealing from you next season also. Good luck up there in the rainy NW. I will continue to hold it down here for us fellow Hawkeyes. As for the Hawkeyes, they played a hell of a game against the Golden Gophers. The final score was 30-14. More on the game and stats later tonight.

Mike

4. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Haha, thanks I appreciate it! I told controller I wanted a challenge and let me tell you I got it....to be honest the cougs record doesnt do them much justice. I've got some skilled players returning next year that will produce a more productive year. Thanks for welcome, and as for the Hawks, Go Get Em!

5. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

First, welcome Frisk

Second, Cal 36 Oregon State 16

Cal's defense forced 7 turnovers. Jahvid Best ran for over 100 yards and had 2 tds in the win. Rodgers the Oregon State RB got hurt again and missed the rest of the game.

[​IMG]

Oski reporting

6. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Has Jacquizz played a full game yet this year? He sounds like what happened with Jewel Hampton last year. Just getting beat up. He is a little guy though, so that could be part of it.

Mike

7. controllerabuser

That's what happens when the little guys go in the trenches. Pittman has no stamina. Kind of like what cimmy's gf says about him. He has to rest after like 3 or 4 runs.

8. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

He was probable for for Cal/Oregon State. He reaggravated the injury in the game. I think when I played as Washington against Oregon State he was on the injury report but LeeFlex played him anyway.

9. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

Mich 27 Wisc 14

" We had a soild day playing in camp randall stadium today with soild performance from our offense and def..was able to control the clock and we kept Wisc rb Clay from getting to comfortable on the ground"...coach drowsike

10. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

This little piggy stays in Iowa
    [​IMG]

Iowa uses a dominant run game, and opportunistic defense, to defeat Minnesota at Kinnick, 30-14

In a game that had Big Ten title implications, Heisman talk, Walker trophy speculation, and Big10 POY discussions, there was little left to talk about come game time. If it had not been covered in the week leading up to the game, it did not matter.

Minnesota won the toss and elected to defer. Iowa took the ball. On the opening drive, the Hawkeyes went almost 50 yds before having to settle for a field goal. In what would prove to be a good strategy move, on 3rd and long from the 35, Iowa would keep the ball on the ground, getting into Murray's FG range with a decent gain by Hampton. Murray would knock the 48yd FG through with a couple to spare. Minnesota would take the kickoff and begin their drive. The drive fizzled after a first down as Iowa stopped the receiver short of the marker. The punt would go into the end zone, and Iowa would start from its own 20. The Hawkeyes again started on the move, showing flashes from Jewel Hampton, and power from Jeff Brinson. There was also a connection between Stanzi and TE Reisner that picked up a key 3rd down. To cap off the drive, Hampton punched it in from 3yds away for his first TD on the day. Iowa 10-0

The Gophers would take the kick and get their drive started. It would not last long though. A few plays into the drive, Weber was looking to his right on a WR screen when out of nowhere, redshirt freshman LOLB Marty Hopkins would jump in the passing lane, and take the ball away and into the endzone for his 2nd pick 6 on the year. A confused CA then messaged "WTF?", I replied "WTF?". There is a first for everything I guess.

Now leading 17-0, the Hawkeyes looked to try and control the game. Minnesota would have nothing of it. As Weber started to get hot, Minnesota's line started to dominate the Iowa front 7. Moving the ball consistently, the Gophers finally hit paydirt as freshman phenom Jonathan Pittman busted in for the 6. The PAT would make it 17-7 Iowa, and Minnesota was right back in it. With just over two minutes remaining in the half, Iowa had 2 timeouts, and plenty of field to cover. Again moving the ball well on the ground, a pass from Stanzi to FR WR Keenan Davis got the drive into Gopher territory as the clock slipped under 1:30. Again coming up on a crucial 3rd down, the Gopher D came up with the big stop, stuffing Brinson at the LOS and forcing another Iowa FG attempt. Again Murray was solid from 48yds. 20-7 Iowa With :40 on the clock, Minnesota would run the clock and go into the locker room.

Coming out after the half, the Gophers were looking to cut the deficit to 1 score. A big sack by the Iowa defense on 1st down, and good defense after that forced the punt. The Hawkeyes again went on the move. Again they found themselves deep in Gopher territory. And this time Minnesota had the answer. A fade from Stanzi to Davis was picked by Gopher impact DB Troy Stoudemire at the goalline.

The refs spotted the ball at the 1. Minnesota immediately dug themselves out of a bad situation with Pittman. He pounded the rock out to the 6. Then it was FB Curtis Hill's turn. He moved it 9yds to give Weber some breathing room. Weber then lit a fire under the receivers. He started picking apart the Iowa secondary. He got them out to the 50 before Iowa finally found the emergency brake. That came in the form of SR DE Christian Ballard dropping into coverage on a zone blitz. He mkes the pick of Weber near the sideline. TE Eric Lair brings him down from behind. But the real damage is done on the very next play. Jewel Hampton takes the counter, breaks two tackles, and is off to the races. 58yds later the race ends as he crosses the goalline to increase the lead for Iowa. 27-7 Iowa

P Ryan Donahue drives the kickoff through the endzone and Minnesota starts at the 20. Almost immediately Minnesota goes to the air. They cover the field in large chunks as Weber hits WR's Xzavian Brandon and Bryant Allen for big gains. WR Hayo Carpenter gets in on the action as Minnesota gets inside the 10 yd line for only the second time on the day. Again they look to Pittman for the big run, and again he pays dividends. 27-14 Iowa

With the third quarter coming to a close, Iowa starts with the ball, and a need to either score or run a lot of time off the clock. Well, they start out good, moving the ball behind the rushing effort of Brinson and Hampton. Not long after, an errant pass from Stanzi floats right into the hands of DE Jeremy Stewart. Dropping into coverage on a zone blitz, he is standing right in the path of travel as Stanzi looks for WR D.J. Koulianos on a post. Koulianos makes the tackle, but cannot knock the ball loose. Minnesota ball. The Gophers have the ball, but can't move it anywhere. Iowa forces the punt with a little over 4 minutes left in the game. They get on the move via the ground again, grinding out the first downs aginst a worn out Gopher defense. The defense finds one last burst as they stop Iowa around the 30yd line. Wouldn't you know it, again Daniel Murray is dead on for the trifecta from 48. 30-14 Iowa. Just under 2 minutes left and Minnesota is forced to go to the air. A few completions, and they are across the 50. A few more and they are inside the 20. This is trouble. But the Iowa D clamps down and stops them on a controversial spot of the ball. TE Eric Lair looked as if he had gotten the 1st, but as he broke away from the tackle, he went backwards, then went forwards again, and was tackled before getting back across the first down marker. A kneel down, and the Hawkeyes stormed the pig. A good game, well played by CA, with a fluke of a pick that turned the game. Pittman is dangerous. Period. That kid will own the Big10 by the time he is a JR, if not sooner. Good luck the resst of the way, CA, I just need a few dominoes to fall my way.

Mike

11. controllerabuser

Mike,

You put that piggy in the wrong summary lol.

12. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

USC 45 ASU 42

USC beats the pesky Devils on a last second FG to win it. The Mitch Mustain experiment was a roller coaster filled with thrills (Over 340 yards passing and 4 TD) and chills (2 INT). Mustain showed why he was so highly recruited as he overcame two bad interceptions in the first half to lead his team to a comeback victory. At one point in the third quarter USC was down by 14. However, Mustain led three furious drives that produced 17 points and resulted in the USC win.

Play of the game: With 23 seconds on the clock and the score tied, ASU's quarter back would throw a desperation pass to the sideline that was picked off and returned to the ASU 32. A few Marc Tyler runs would set USC up for the game winning FG with 3 seconds on the clock.

Carroll : Our defense missed the flight out to Tempe I guess. Bass is a hell of a back and ASU has some nice weapons but we played our sorse game of the season. I am very disappointed in the way they played. I will take care of that. Mitch and the offense over came three TO's and battled us back into this thing and won it for us. He (Mustain) really made some nice throws out there and Marc Tyler ran well. We gotta establish Marc and stick with it. We got lucky today. But . . . some USC teams would have just let ASU win the game. I know it was in some of there minds. The here we go again USC blows it against an unranked team on the road deal. But we showed character and we can celebrate that.

13. controllerabuser

Man, that would have been a nightmare for you to lose that game. Would have let cimmy back in national title talks. Thanks for winning!

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Tell me about it. I couldn't get stops til mid 3rd quarter. Bass was shredding me up and I couldn't get pressure or stop the pass. It felt like EA had done me in but some how some way . . .

Matter of fact, that's the mantra for our season

USC 2010 SOME HOW . . . SOME WAY . .

15. controllerabuser

LOL, you should put that in your user title.

16. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Oregon Whoops Washington..... New Coach shows some defensive sauve

Oregon : 62
    Washington : 21

It was over as soon as RB Shinaba touched the ball. James and Alston were both injuried in the 1st quarter, so 3rd stringer Shinaba came in to set the field on fire. He ran the ball 22 times for 173 yards and 4 TD's. QB Masoli passed the ball effectively, going 13/18 for 200 Yards and 2 TD's.

Oregon out-gained Washington 611 Yards to 321. Oregon also had 411 Yards on the ground and held the ball for over 20 minutes. RB James came back in briefly in the 3rd quarter to give Shinaba a break and took his first 2 carries of the 2nd half to the house. 1 from 36 yards and another from 75 yards out. The ducks 2nd team offense and defense came in mid-way into the 3rd quarter and played well.

Coach:
    "We played well. I never wanted to score that many points or blow out a respectable opponent, but I had to run our offense to get used to the players and I need the players to get into our offense. If we go out and execute like that every game, we can be a contender in the Pac 10 very soon."

Player of the Game:
    RB J.Shinaba - 22 Car, 173 Yards, 3TD's, 2 Rec, 26 Yards, 1TD, 7 PR, 36 yards = 235 Total Yards, 4 TD's

17. controllerabuser

Isn't it a pity, that the cpu can dominate the punt returns. Last year, they couldn't stop em.. LOL

18. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Lee>Glad to see you played well against the Huskies.