Game Summaries: Week 12

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Aug 24, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Game Summaries: Week 12

Post recaps in here

2. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Cal vs. Stanford - The Big Game (except not this year because both teams suck)

The game started good for Cal as they jumped out to a quick 21-0 lead against Stanford. A TD run by QB Mansion, a TD run by stud RB Best, and a slant pass TD to Ross was how the Bears got these points. Unfortunately Stanford came roaring back, scoring 17 in the 2nd quarter. Cal did score one more TD in the 2nd quarter on a 103 yard kick return TD by Best, not the last time this will happen. Going into the half Cal was still in good shape with a 28-17 lead and the ball after half.

The 3rd quarter was a wash, as both teams scored 10 points. Cal's TD came on the second kick return TD by Best. This time Best took the short kick 88 yards to the endzone, he still is not done.

In the fourth quarter Stanford shrank the lead to 4 points before the third and final kick return TD by Best. This was another 103 yard TD run and once again he was never touched by anyone on the kick coverage team. Stanford still was not done and a TD pass by A. Luck would put the lead down to 5. They failed the two point conversion and then tried an onside kick with about 1:10 left in the game. Ross once again showed off his hands and he recovered the onside kick. Best would then run out the clock to secure a win.

After the game Coach Bravejaf was livid at his team's performance on defense. "The defense will be doing up some extra work during the bye week. Not taking anything away from Stanford's players but this performance was completely unacceptable."

Stats:
    Cal
    QB: B. Mansion 7/10 117 yards 1 TD/0 INT, 1 rushing TD, 2 fumbles
    RB: J. Best 21 carries for 120 yards and 1 TD; 6 kick return attempts for 373 yards and 3 TD's, 3 punt returns for 33 yards
    RB: S. Vereen 5 carries for 34 yards
    WR: J. Ross 4 catches for 72 yards and 1 TD, onside kick recovery
    DT: T. Guyton 7 tackles, 3 tackles for a loss, 2 sacks

Stanford
    QB: A. Luck 21/29 309 yards 3 TD/0 INT
    RB: J. Stewart 26 carries for 117 yards and 2 TD's, 2 catches for 57 yards
    WR: R. Sherman 6 catches for 102 yards and 2 TD's

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

yeah man excellent game. We threw the ball to the othet team a lot this year. We will get that figured out. This team has a lot of fight in them. I'm proud of them for turning this season around and coming within seconds of being bowl eligible.

With a knockout recruiting class in the makings, Michigan has high hopes for the near future. Good Luck to all in their bowl games. We will be hitting the recruiting trail harder than ever and convincing our returning players that we are close to where we want to be.

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Love the picture and yeah J. Best is getting the entire bye week to rest. He was just crazy good in this game. Oddly enough I don't usually put him as kick returner but the rosters were reset when the league restarted. I was always afraid he would get injured plus he tires out quicker on the offensive side of the ball. Sadly he will almost certainly leave early after this season.

As for your game, I too have made mistakes thanks to Corso. He suggested I do a fake punt run in the 4th quarter when it was 4th and 23. I think I was up by 5 or 6 at the time and failing would give the other team the ball in the 20. Maybe that is why he is an announcer now and not a coach :).

5. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

umm isn't BEST too fast to be a returner according to our rules for return guys. See the rules just asking I have no idea what is speed rating is but I know he's very fast on the track.

6. controllerabuser

We don't have the speed as a rule for returners.. if you guys want a rule changed bring it up

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

No, I believe we have a rule about not convincing players to stay if the player is over a certain rating. I could be wrong about this however, since I looked through the rules today and did not see it. Maybe I am thinking of one of my other leagues.

8. controllerabuser

Players leaving
    A player will not be allowed to attempt to sway a player from the pro draft if he:
    is > 95 OVR
    is a JR that has won the Heisman
    is a JR or SO(RS) and has won a major award (Thorpe, Maxwell, Biletnikoff, etc) and is > 90 OVR
    Kickers and punters can be swayed from pro draft regardless of OVR and class.

It is under our league description along with recruiting rules.

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Thinking about another OD my bad.

10. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Oregon St. v Washington St. 4OT!!

[​IMG]
    52-44 Or. St

Without Jacquizz Rodgers O ST. would have lost this 4 ot battle!!! Washington St. played balls to the wall in this game they weren'tm going to give up!

I outscored them till the 4th where they came runnin AND passing back into the game to take the lead by 3! I ended up having to kick a FG to tie it up with time expiring.

4OT

It was Crazy every time i would get them to 3rd or 4th down they would miraculously score or convert( robo QB was present)

in 4th overtime i finally scored and made a defensive stop to end the game.

O ST. Top Players
    QB J. Engstrom 11-19 199 1 TD
    HB J. Rodgers 33 attempts, 276 yards, 8.3YPC, 5 TD, 141 YAC, 9 BTK 1 reception TD 64 yds (y)

Washington ST. Top Players
    QB J. Levenseller 24-36 259 4 tds

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Well there goes J. Best's player of the week trophy. He could be the first person to rack up nearly 550 total yards and not win the award :).

Great game by Rodgers btw. I must say that is probably one of the lowest 4OT games I have seen. Did you guys keep stopping each other or was the score really low going into OT?

12. DC

DC Shake n Bake

wait i think i got that score wrng......ill get back to u im in middle of another game atm sry

13. DC

DC Shake n Bake

fixed idk y i put that i knew it was higher that was score at end of regulation i think

14. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Quizz is number 4 atm......stats wise just been easier to run the ball on the team rather than throw it ...lol

15. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Best only has 1100 yards rushing and 11 TDs rushing this season but I only played about half those games. Plus my D played so bad against USC that I abandoned the run by the 2nd quarter. I am hoping/praying his mediocre rushing stats cause him to hold off on the NFL. I know I'm not allowed to convince him to stay but I don't think saying a few prayers is against the rules :). I have seen higher rated players skip the NFL in this game after better seasons.

Note: I should point out that one of Best's highest rushing totals came against a human opponent while my system was broken.

16. DC

DC Shake n Bake

well ill still have quizz for atleast one more year :)

17. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Hampton is a Walker semi-finalist, and this is now his second injury week. He will not play anymore games this season. It is sad, but I should have him for at least one more year, depends on how good my line will be next year. If they are good, he will not return for his SR year.

Mike

18. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

Six in a row, Two to go!

Arizona - 17 Oregon - 12

[​IMG] - The Wildcats come away with their sixth win in a row.

Arizona gets the win in their last game at Tucson for the 2009 season over conference rival Oregon. Though the final score was close, the home team dominated in this one.

Total Offense - Arizona - 437 yards Oregon - 244 yards

However, miscues once again allowed their opponent an opportunity to win the game late. Oregon started the game by chucking a deep bomb over the top of the zone defense for a TD, but they would miss the extra point. Arizona drove the ball well, but were picked off in the end zone on third and long. After holding the Ducks to a three and out, they finally got onto the board and took a 7-6 lead. A solid Wildcat defense would go on to smother Oregon's spread attack, while Matt Scott lead the offense to another touchdown for a 14-6 advantage. Mid way through the third it looked as though Arizona would put Oregon into an even bigger hole, but a fumble at the goal line ended another promising drive. Starting out the fourth well, Arizona would tack on a field goal to take a 17-6 lead with under four minutes left. Then robo QB activated, and Oregon pretty much went on cruise control as they torched the Wildcat D. Missing the try for two left the score at 17-12, but a failed onside kick attempt would finally prove to be enough to salt this one away.

The coach, matcs_finest, was not shy about expressing his frustration at another week of redzone mishaps. Matt Scott's athleticism once again was the driving force behind their offensive attack, but his interception in the end zone took points off of the board. He still has not shown that consistency needed in the passing game for this team to step up onto the next level. He made up for the pick by rushing for a score, and throwing what looked to be another -- until Terrell Turner fumbled. At the goal line. All in all, they got what they wanted which was the win. Their winning streak extends to six straight -- all of them in conference, keeping them within striking distance of USC, and the conference crown.

Up Next: Arizona @ ASU. The rivalry takes on a little added importance this year, as the Wildcats will travel to Sun Devil Stadium seeking their tenth win, and an essential conference championship game against USC the following week. This is easily one of the biggest games in program history, and perhaps the toughest challenge of the season to this point.

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Well...looks like I can still play a User in the Rose if I get by Mich St.

20. controllerabuser

AZ @ ASU, easily the "game of the week!"

Start the write-up VT

21. controllerabuser

AZ @ ASU, easily the "game of the week!"

Start the write-up VT

22. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Battle for the Floyd of Rosedale

[​IMG]

The #24 ranked Minnesota Golden Gophers (8-3) travel to Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes (6-5)

Looking to avenge a 55-0 beatdown at home last year, the Gophers take to the road, looking far better than Iowa has this year. The Gophers have played almost the same schedule as Iowa, but has come out of it with a better record. While both teams have been without their starting RB's for a few games this year, Iowa will be without Jewel Hampton for the rest of the season now. Looking to step in and fill the shoes of a 1200+ yd rusher, backup RB Jeff Brinson will be looked at to carry a heavy load for the remainder of the season. He has shown bright spots earlier this season in the backup role, but with a rivalry game, and possible bowl invite on the line, this is spotlight time for the young back.

Minnesota. Iowa. This is the Big Ten.

23. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Nice win man.. Wish I could have actually had a healthy PS3 to play against you in this one..

24. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

Thanks. I was looking forward to a rematch too.

25. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Penn State @ Michigan St

Just got finished playing, so here is a short summary of the game.

PSU needed a win to secure a Rose Bowl bid and outright Big10 Championship. Going into the half it was Michigan St 35 PSU 21. The Nittany Lions Coach Cimmy made one helluva speech and the Lions came out and the defense showed up. With 9 seconds left, instead of setting up for a Field Goal, PSU went for the last attempt at a TD on 3rd down and Daryll Clark found WR Graham Zug in the endzone for the game winning TD!!

Final Score: PSU 42 MSU 35

[​IMG]