GAME SUMMARIES: WEEK 13

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Ryty, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

GAME SUMMARIES: WEEK 13

UCLA SHOCKS THE WORLD, DEFEATS #1 RANKED USC

[​IMG]

The victory bell has come home to UCLA. In a shocker, the Bruins defeated the Trojans 17 - 10. Were the Trojans distracted by all of the coaching change rumors? (the top rumor being that the Arizona State coach will take over USC at the end of the season).

The story of the game was the rushing attack of the Bruins. Milton Knox and Johnathan Franklin combined to rush for 171 yards and 1 TD on 41 carries. As expected, the USC secondary dominated the UCLA passing game, holding Kevin Craft to only 33 yards passing on 18 attempts.

Play of the Game - All-American CB A. Verner returned the opening kickoff of the 2nd half for a 95 yard TD to give the Bruins a 14 - 7 lead, one they would never relinquish.

[​IMG]

One result of this game is certain - The National Championship picture is cloudier than ever!

2. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Huge WIN!!! May have just opened the door for Arizona to go to the Rose Bowl, and BSU to go NC hunting. Nice work. LOL. Again, great win, I guess Aaron Corp is human after all.

Mike

3. DC

DC Shake n Bake

wow that just blew all chance of a rosebowl appearance for me or arizona or any user from the pac-10 for that matter

congrats though lol

4. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

SORRY MAN!

5. DC

DC Shake n Bake

Ha ha its all good the coach of oregon st. is not worried about his job security, certain someones have been contacting him about a certain job at a certain school!

6. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

[​IMG]

Sorry Cimmy!

7. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Revenge on Penn State??? What?

Sorry to burst your bubble ryty, but you don't have a shot at going to the Rose. Only teams that do now are USC and Arizona. Idk what Oregon St.'s record is, but I do not believe they are eligible. That loss for USC takes them out off the NC. It doesn't close doors for Arizona or Oregon St. Here is the deal...

The Rose Bowl normally is the Big10 Champ v the Pac10 Champ. Prior to the loss, USC held the outright Pac10 lead, but was #1 in the Polls and #2 in the BCS, therefore putting them into the National Champ. This doesn't mean the #2 team in the Pac10 would then play in the Rose. It would open the door for an At-Large to play in the Rose. I was projected to play Boise St before this week.

Now, depending on the Arizona/Arizona St game, next week I should be projected to play USC. If Arizona wins, they move into a tie with USC for the Pac10 and than next weeks Arizona v USC game is basically the Pac10 Championship, winner goes to the Rose. That loss for USC ultimately removes any hope Boise had at the Rose. However, it does move them into the National Title hunt.

Before this week, I believe the BCS top 8 looked like this...

1. OU
    2. USC
    3. UF
    4. WVU
    5. Boise
    6. Ok St
    7. PSU
    8. Ole Miss or Auburn.

The USC loss will bump them out so it should be...

1. OU
    2. UF
    3. WVU
    4. Boise
    5. Ok St.
    6. PSU

Yet, also this week, there is a crucial CPU game...Oklahoma v Ok St. My pick is OU...so the BCS could look like this...

1. OU
    2. UF
    3. WVU
    4. Boise
    5. PSU

OU and UF (played FSU this week) still have their Conference Championships, WVU played Pitt and still has a game with Rutgers, Boise played Nevada this week and finishes with NM St.

Welcome to the BCS. I hope that cleared things up. I don't know if there was any confusion, but reading the posts it kinda felt like there was. This is the BCS. There is a chance I could be playing in the Natty, now that USC is done, that chance got much better, but it is a longshot. So, pending ASU v Arizona....the Arizona v USC could be the Pac10 Championship...winner plays Penn State in the Rose Bowl.

Ryty, congratulations man. Amazing win. I text CA and Hack as soon as I saw you won. I couldn't believe it. Great win, great way to end a season. Bowl Eligible with the Bruins. Good Luck. Thank You! I could either play in the NC (doubtful) or play an actual Pac10 team in the Rose, possibly a user.(y)

8. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

ryty...awesome...Props to ya for getting bowl eligible. And here I thought none of us would be able to take down mighty USC. You are an inspiration. This just makes the game this week against ASU that much bigger.

9. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Thanks...

Being .500 and 5th in the PAC 10, I never even considered the Rose. I was just commenting on how I thought everything changed in the PAC 10 after the win. Sorry for the confusion!

I'm just happy to be Bowl eligible!

10. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Thanks...

Being .500 and 5th in the PAC 10, I never even considered the Rose. I was just commenting on how I thought everything changed in the PAC 10 after the win. Sorry for the confusion!

I'm just happy to be Bowl eligible!

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

It was just the way I read the conversation as a whole...I was confused and had to clear things up for myself. I can't wait for the result of the ASU v Ari game....

12. WisconsinSports414

Wildcats stun ASU, set up conference championship game @ USC!!!!

[​IMG]

#20Arizona - 21 Arizona St. - 3.

This game was closer than the score would indicate. The Wildcats continue getting it done with smoke and mirrors, and a sprinkling of clutch plays on both sides of the ball. Arizona State had chances to really put their rivals in a big hole early, but it was not to be. It was clear from the outset that ASU wanted to pound the football against Arizona's defense, and they managed to do so in a long drive -- which ended with an interception on third and goal. Another, masterful, +5 minute drive ended with only three points. As has been the case all season, this Wildcat defense bent, but did not break. Matt Scott was harassed for much of the game by a talented ASU defensive front, but managed to strike big time with a couple of long touchdown tosses which would put his team ahead, 14-3. Falling behind and running out of time, the Sun Devils were forced to go to the air. That lead to more turnovers, and another touchdown after being given a short field that would salt away the win.

Key Stats:

Total Offense : Arizona - 292 Arizona State - 215

Turnovers: Arizona - 1 Arizona State - 5

Player of the game: Matt Scott - 15 of 21 for 226 yards and two touchdowns.

The win gives Arizona a big victory over their rivals, ten victories on the season, a seven game winning streak and plenty of momentum heading into Los Angeles next week. The Trojans have more talent, and the home field advantage, but Arizona has been beating the odds all season.

Up Next: @USC. This is perhaps the biggest game in program history. Next week, the Wildcats will play for the Pac 10 championship against the Trojans. Having been stunned by cross town rival USC this week, there is little doubt that they will be gunning for the win, and continued dominance in the conference. The game could have much bigger implications for both programs long term -- particularly SC, whose program is already knee deep in rumors with regards to their coaching situation. Could this be the end of an era?

13. DC

DC Shake n Bake

sweet that puts me in 3rd in the conference! one more win would have been nice

14. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

How many in a row is this?

15. WisconsinSports414

Actually bk, the crazy thing is, you beat Arizona earlier in the season, and a loss against USC would give you a second place finish by way of head to head tie breaker.

And that's seven in a row since I took over at the bye in week 5.

16. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

How many in a row is this?

17. DC

DC Shake n Bake

awesome, better bowl birth is fine with me!