Game Summaries: Week 2, Season 2

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Sep 21, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Game Summaries: Week 2, Season 2

Post in here

2. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

#3 (1-0) Penn State @ #11 Alabama

[​IMG]

The #3 Nittany Lions traveled south to Tuscaloosa to take on the Crimson Tide in week 2 action. PSU still had a lot of questions to answer, even after their blowout win over Kent St. This game, would answer those questions and more.

Alabama HB Ingram would score first on a 71 yard TD pass, which would make the Nittany Lion faithful sit down in their seats. On the ensuing kickoff, they would jump right back up. WR Devon Smith would take the kickoff 90 yards to the house to tie the game at 7 all. After a forced punt, QB Kevin Newsome would answer the question of his composure by finding WR Graham Zug from 26 yards out to go up 14-7. The Tide would answer and it would be Ingram again, this time rushing through the PSU Defense for a 49 yard TD run to end the 1st quarter at 14 all.

HB Stephfon Green would return after a game 1 injury and score from 6 yards out in the 2nd. Ingram would answer and it seemed the game would be back and forth for all 4 quarters. Newsome would again find one of his WRs, this time Brett Brackett from 23 yards away to give PSU the lead going into the half, 28-21.

The second half would be all defense as PSU K Wagner would add a 3 point FG to give the Lions a 31-21 lead. That is where it would stand as the Nittany Lion defense would hold Star Jackson and the Tide to 0 second half points to secure the monumental victory for the Lions. PSU looks forward to an off week before hosting 2009 Rose Bowl foe Arizona in Happy Valley for their home opener.

Stats:
    -QB K. Newsome: 7 for 13 138 YDs 2 TDs 0 INTs
    -HB S. Green: 30 Atts 177 YDs 1 TD
    -WR B. Brackett: 3 Recs 72 YDs 1 TD
    -WR G. Zug: 2 Recs 48 YDs 1 TD
    -LB M. Mauti: 7 Tkls 1 TFL
    -LB N. Bowman: 6 Tkls 2 TFLs 1 FF

3. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

#20 Arizona VS Nevada

Ariz - 35 Nev - 14

Arizona wins their second game of the season over Nevada from the WAC. Nic Grigsby only ran for 33 yards on seven carries, but, he started the game off in style with a kick return for six. He quickly is becoming the type of speedy play maker that you want to get the ball to any way possible. Nevada would play well in stretches, countering that first score with one of their own. After a quarter, the game was still close at 14 - 7. The O coordinator focused on the passing game this week, and Matt Scott was allowed to throw the ball around more often than usual. He had a decent day throwing the ball, going 19 of 30 for 210 yards through the air, and three TD passes to lift his team.

Probably more important than the victory itself in the long run is that they got through the game without any injuries, and will have the bye to try and clean up some occasionally sloppy play on both offense, and, defense - lots of missed tackles in this one.

Key Stat: Ariz - 18 first downs. Despite placing more of a focus on the pass in this one, the Wildcats still played ball control offense with their short to intermediate passing game.

Player of the game: Matt Scott - 19 of 30 for 210 yds and three pass TDs. He also ran for a score.

Up Next: Bye week. Coach WisconsinSports414 has a week to focus in on recruiting, and prepare his team for their week 4 trip to Happy Valley.

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

USC has an early Bye week and Pete Carroll is making some ground with some recruits. The Trojans went over to Hawai'i and dominated the Warriors. This allowed Carroll to perform in front of the 5 * TE from the islands that they covet for their prostyle O.

5. Chiang-Shih

Chiang-Shih Banned

Michigan State @ Washington

Crazy game I got down early everything was going against my offense. Dropped passes, passes going off of guys getting picked off, guys fumbling you name it. It was 14-0 and Washington had the ball this is when I got back into the game. Play action and a dump to the HB but my LB comes across and crushes him and one of my secondary guys picks it up and goes in for the TD. We end up going back and forth turning it over and scoring some points to end up at 17-17 in the 4th quarter. At this point my defensive line has knocked his QB out 2 or 3 times with constant heat. I'm able to get him to punt the ball away to me with 2 min and 20 seconds left in the game. I come out with run and get 3-4 yards. So on second down I send my WR on a post and bang blown coverage or cover 2 not exactly sure but he catches it and race down the sideline all the way to the 1 yard line. I punch it in and he gets the ball back. I get a sack and he runs a few plays and sets it up around mid field. My MLB steps in for the INT and gives Michigan State the 24-17 win.

We had so many great plays in this game but the crap servers wouldn't let me save any plays. Then when I went to leave the game it froze on the loading page so I can't even get the stats yet stupid EA. Anyways great game BC Polk is nasty and your defensive is very opportunistic.

Michigan State 24
    Washington 17

6. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The fumble for a TD was a pass to the FB, but that started the change in the game.

The key drive was when I picked you off inside your 10 and only got that FG. The big pass was most likely blown coverage, esp if it was play action.

7. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

The Harry Husky Report

MSU 24 Wash 17

First let me say the HC for the Huskies should be fired, or at least the Offensive coordinator. Up 14-0 with solid D and you call a PA pass to the seldom used FB, he promptly fumbles for a TD return. After that the offense just died. Kudos to MSU for an excellent called defensive game.

Plays of the game
    Adams (MSU) the fumble returned for TD
    MSU forcing a FG after Wash intercepts inside MSU's 10

After the game Washington's coach said that playing good for a quarter does not win games. We need a full effort from the players and the coaches. Our defense played great getting 6 turnovers only 1 real bad play by defense. However, our offense is terrible. MSU played great on defense and had the drive and desire to win. MSU is finely coached and should make some noise in Big 10 this year.

Rumor has started on Washington's campus after the game that their AD approached me and offered me the Offensive Coordinator's position. First, there is no truth to the rumor. Second, if there was any truth to it, I would turn it down out of fear of being neutered if I couldn't fix the issues with the offense.

Harry Husky reporting.

8. controllerabuser

Minnesota @ UNLV

Good win for the Gophers as they played their final tune-up game before hosting USC. Working some cobwebs out always helps. Freshman running back was insane running between & outside the tackles. The defense looked suspect at first but buckled down and made some plays forcing punts and two interceptions. We really couldn't get our passing game to what we wanted. Xzavian Brandon, the 6'3 go to receiver was injured for the game in the 2nd quarter. Several deep attempts were made because the defense played a lot of man and had 8 in the box to stop the run. Unfortunately, we couldn't get it to work. Looking forward to challenging the Trojans. Hopefully, we can keep with in a scoring distance to win.

Final Score 49-21

Adam Weber 11-20 124 1TD

Jonathan Pittman 19-207 4TD, 2-18
    Duane Bennett 9-78

Jaron McKnight 3-59 1TD
    Xzavian Brandon 2-25
    Eric Lair 2-21

9. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Oregon State vs FCS Northwest

Coming off a bad loss to Boise State, the Beav's would need to get going this week before playing Louisville next week.

Perfect time for D-1 AA FCS Northwest to come to town. As much as the Beavers need a tune up game, new coach, Lee.Flex also needed to get in sync with his team.

Beav's ran the ball extremely well behind RB J.Rodgers. He gained 158 Yards on 18 carries and had 3TD's before being taken out midway through the second quarter. QB C.Vaz was commanding the offense well, but only threw the ball 6 times in the first half. 37-3 Halftime

The second unit came on the field for the beavers and they continued to run the ball behind back-up's R.McCants and J.Stevenson. Both combined for 12 carries, 149 Yards and 3TD's. The First team and Back up D looked solid throughout the game, creating 4 turnover's, 2 for TD's. Beav's will need to hold on to the momentum as they square off against Louisville next week, and Pac-10 Rival UCLA the week after.

Stats -
    P.Lalich 4/5 106 Yards 2TD
    C.Vaz 3/6 108 Yards 1TD

J.Rodgers 18car 158 Yards 3TD
    J.Stevenson 6car 87 Yards 2TD
    R.McCants 6car 62 Yards 1TD

S.McGarity 2rec 67 Yards 1TD

10. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Hawkeyes go to the ZOO, pluck the Ducks.

But neither bird left with a feather in its cap. The Ducks gave up the ball 5 times, the Hawkeyes, six. Nine interceptions, three by Oregon CB Talmadge. My whole LB corp each picked one off, my DE Clayborn made a great play near the redzone, and twice Oregon forced RB Jewel Hampton to put the ball on the ground with a stunning hit. Oh, did I mention it rained?

Iowa came out of the gates pedal to the metal, and scored on each of its first two drives. Stanzi found Sandeman on a beautifully executed WR screen, and Colin took it the distance. 3 and out and back comes the ball. Again moving it well with a good mix of ground and air, Stanzi faces a heavy blitz and dumps it off to Hampton on a circle route, and Hampton finishes the play breaking one tackle on his way to paydirt.

Two quick scores then, pfffffftttt. Flat tire. 3 interceptions in the second half treat Iowa to 0 points and give Oregon their opportunity to get right back in it. After the first pick, Masoli leads a great drive, converting third downs, using his TE's (jealous of those guys, they are good) and pistol set extremely effectively. He finds Ward with loose coverage and Oregon gets their first points on the board. Iowa comes right back and throws another pick, trying to move the ball with time expiring in the half. Masoli again gets Oregon moving quickly, and the Ducks put up another 7, this time on the ground with James. Time expires as Stanzi throws up another jump ball that is brought down by the team in the wrong color uni's (Just green, surprisingly).

Coming out to start the third, Oregon has found a rhythm and is marching, hard, and Iowa looks lost, trying to find a defensive stop, searching the playbook for a play that will work. Slow them, contain them, anything. 4-3 over cover 3 finally was a good pick. Really good pick. RS freshman LOLB Marty Hopkins jumped a flat route and took it 72 yards for a pick 6, outrunning his pursuer, RB LaMichael James. This seemed to be a tide turner, but that was again rebuked by excellent ball hawking skills displayed by the Oregon defense. After an interception, Oregon was looking at a tying score, but Iowa again went into the playbook for magic. CA is familiar with this play, as Adrian Clayborn victimized him once before. The big man dropped into his hook/curl zone, and made a beautiful play on a slant pass, snagging the ball like a CB. Being a slow DE, he did not get far after the catch, but thats what the offense is for.

And again the O looked to Hampton for guidance. He put the Hawks in scoring range, and was looking to put up a cushion TD, but was knocked silly as he cut back across a block. Ball on the ground, Ducks football. Oregon drives, Oregon scores, 21-21. Masoli to Davis for the TD. Back and forth possesions in the 4th quarter find another few turnovers as Oregon forces another Hampton fumble, but turned it right back over, as Hunter made the play this time. This one led to Iowa finally putting together an offensive drive. The Hawks fed Hampton some more, and came away with 6 on a Hampton TD run. Iowa would again play great defense, and this time Peterson was on the receiving end of a Masoli pass. Trying to chew the clock, but unsuccessful, Iowa was forced to put up a Murray FG, and he proved true from 47 yards. It was now hurry up time for Oregon, they moved the ball a couple times, but a deep heave was picked by Greenwood to help seal the game.

Great game BK, early I thought the cpu had it in for you as my line was gashing you, but your defense solidified, and started creating turnovers, getting you right back in the game. The second half was hectic, but amazing. Both defenses made key plays when needed, it just seemed that the Hawks could hold a little better on D. The Pac 10 should look out for Oregon, this is a good team, and some amazing talent at TE will surprise you.

31-21 Iowa

Mike

11. controllerabuser

Big 10 is up 2 games to nothing. Hmm, who is overrated?

Mike, lol, I don't remember what you are talking about.

12. controllerabuser

Big 10 is up 2 games to nothing. Hmm, who is overrated?

Mike, lol, I don't remember what you are talking about.

13. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

We close to an advance.

14. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

We close to an advance yet?

15. Chiang-Shih

Chiang-Shih Banned

Yes we are ready to advance. TheOhioStBuckeye/Illinois was the last guy left who had to recruit but he retired last night at 8:58:59 PM. So once control gets home from work we will be onto week 3 :).

16. controllerabuser

I have to resend his invite to a different psn. I had too much going on at the cribs with my gf and kids.