Game Summaries: Week 7

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Aug 10, 2009.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Game Summaries: Week 7

Go ahead and post in here.

2. WisconsinSports414

WisconsinSports414 Walk On

[​IMG]

Arizona 44 Standford 41 F/2OT

Some fans will wonder if Arizona was looking past the winless Cardinal to their big match up next week with current conference undefeated UCLA. Whatever the case may have been, it took everything they had to hold on and get the victory. Thanks largely in part to the arm - and legs of Arizona QB Matt Scott, the Wildcats were able to finally stave off an upset-minded Standford team in Tuscon after two overtimes. The sophomore was 16-32 throwing the ball, with 246 yards and 2 touchdowns. Adding on to that solid total, he rushed 11 times for 73 yards and another score. They would need every last one in a game that was utterly devoid of defense for much of the evening.

The Cardinal constantly gashed the Wildcats' defense with the run, and at times seemed unstoppable whether working in the air, or on the ground. Andrew Luck was 15-20 throwing the ball, passing for 178 yards and a touchdown. As a team, Standford ran wild for 257 yards and four touchdowns. Toby Gerhart led that effort with 2 rushing TDs, and 170 yards on 19 carries. Wildcats' coach, matcs_finest was quoted as being disgusted with the effort - namely broken tackles which led to countless big plays for there opponents.

The home crowd watched in stunned silence as Standford took the ball and scored early in the fourth to give themselves a 35-17 lead. That's when Scott went off. He proceeded to torch the Cardinal secondary, many of the long throws and scrambles coming in key third down situations. With him leading the way, the Wildcats scored and tacked on two more to make it 35-25. Looking back, the Standford head coach might lament his own play calling, as going conservative allowed the 'Cats to get two quick stops and put themselves in position to either win or force overtime. They took over the ball with just under a minute left at about their twenty yard line, and ultimately tied the game with a FG as regulation expired. In OT, the defense finally showed up, holding Standford to a FG and avoiding the loss after their offense came out and put up three to start the first OT period. In the second, the Cardinal again were held to three points. That would prove to be enough, as Arizona put together a quick touchdown drive and escaped with the 44-41 win.

Impact play of the game: Down 7-0 after a dominating drive, Brad Posten responded for Arizona with a thrilling, 103 yard kickoff return that would set the tone for a wild night in Tuscon.

(Wow. This was one of the craziest games I've played on ANY version of NCAA Football. The broken tackles are just ridiculous. Even with tackling and strip ball set to conservative, there were still far too many for my taste. And it wasn't like it was an impact player doing most of the damage. No disrespect to Toby Gerhart, but if he could break tackles and outrun corners/safeties the way he did in this game, Standford would be contending for the Pac 10 title. I mean, he'd break a tackle, and then break ANOTHER tackle even when I was able to run him down.)

3. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Dynamic Duo of Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson accounted for 4 TD's on the day.

The Wolverines put together another solid effort to win their second game of the season. they beat Marshall 31-17. It is obvious that this team will ride and die with their young quarterbacks. On this day they rode. Tate Forcier was 11 of 18 224 yards 2 tds to 1 int. He also rushed for a TD. Denard Robinson struggled making reads in the passing game. However he made the right read on an option play and took it 66 yards for a score.

The defense played OK. Led once again by Brandon Graham. He was the player spotlighted before the game by Corso and Herbstreit and he did not disappoint. He had 10 tackles 5 for a loss and a sack. He should be in the running for some hardware at the end of the season.

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Old fashioned ass whippin'

[​IMG]

Battle For The Governor's Victory Bell

Minnesota 7 @ #13 Penn State 45

Big game to decide a contender for the Big Ten title.

Horrible game for the Gophers. We were in it looking to pull the upset till about 3:00 minutes before half. PSU superman defense decided to show up. Darryll Clark also picked our defense apart in under 30 seconds which i thought was funny. I feel this game is good. There is some very cheesy play by the cpu though when it wants a win. We really had a chance. Then all of a sudden the ratings on each team decided to change as PSU's went up by 100 and ours went down by 100. I am so disgusted right now by the lineman deflections as it lead to 2 picks. Anyway, we didn't play good enough to beat PSU or for that matter Florida International. Maybe it was Happy Valley and the addition of the picks. I really like the atmoshphere of the rain too. Came out in the second half and the camera plus the rain made it seem blurry. We'll have to bounce back in practice all week as we have to reload and travel to OSU which won't be any easier.

PSU fakes a run and goes deep to the corner as the tight end burns the safety. 7-0 PSU
    Minnesota forced to punt after a couple 1st downs.
    Minnesota stuffs a key 3rd down.
    Eric Decker catches what looked to be an interception and takes it for 52 yards. Bennett finishes the drive after some nice pass plays.
    7-7

Holding call brings back about a 40 yard TD run by Evan Royster to a 2nd and 19.
    Big sack to bring up a 4th and 18 and a PSU punt.
    Minnesota forced to punt but unforunately for the Nittany Lions they start at the 1 yard line.
    Royster scores on a flat route. 14-7
    PSU gets a pick 6 21-7
    PSU gets another pick 6 28-7 this time off a deflection tipped in the air.
    PSU gets another deflected pick off lineman.

5. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

BACK TO REALITY, CAL PUMMELS UCLA

[​IMG]

With coach Cal coach BraveJaf out of commission, the Cal Golden Bears ended the 3 game win streak of the UCLA Bruins 43 - 17.

UCLA turned the ball over 7 times including 4 fumbles (two on kickoffs). The turnovers proved to be too much for the Bruins to overcome. Up next for the Bruins, the surprise of the PAC 10 - THE 5 - 1 ARIZONA WILDCATS. Another game like this for UCLA and any chance of winning the PAC 10 will be gone.

Key Stats -

Cal

QB K. Riley - 16 for 24 for 287 yards and 2 TDs
    RB J. Best - 35 attempts for 100 yards and 1 TD
    WR J. Ross - 3 receptions for 117 yards and 1 TD

UCLA

QB K. Prince - 19 for 38 for 314 yards and 2 TD's
    RB M. Knox - 12 attempts for 35 yards

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that my team won without me. I guess we will take whatever wins we can get at this point.

7. G-Force-28

G-Force-28 TAYLOR GANG!

Wisconsin 21 Iowa 20

This was a game that went back and forth. John Clay finally reached the century mark after struggling the past 2 games. I would like to credit my offensive line play for that. Iowa rarely got a push on the dline. The Badgers passing game wasnt too bad when they had to resort to it. DS went 7-10 with 1 pick (couldve been a pick 6 but took a perfect angle). Late in the game some passes looked more lucky than talented. lol
    To Be Continued.