Game summary code tutorial by MileHigh Hitman

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by MileHigh Hitman, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Game summary code tutorial by MileHigh Hitman

Hello fellow OFFL and Tradition players. I recently spent many days and hours teaching myself how to make my game summaries look fun. Logos and colors to me make a world of difference. As the time passed since my first post I have seen many people start looking into doing the same thing. It is really starting to make the game summaries come alive.

There are some people that like me, would like to do this but have no idea how. I thought I would post a tutorial for basic game summaries. Feel free to use your own logos, table styles and layout. This will be geared towards users that have never done this before. I am not one to keep these things to myself. I feel this adds a TON to the leagues so here goes.
    (PM or e-mail me with any questions)

Here is a sample of what a basic summary can look like.

This is a collection of logos I got from Jeremy7679 at Utopia.

Bowl logos

Color codes for colored text for all Division 1-A teams.

Feel free to use the above tools.

Basic tutorial. I suggest to download Textpad for free. It is much easier to work with than notepad. It will highlight links and assist you in keeping it clean and organized.

First is text. This is the easiest way to spice up a post. Text can be manipulated in many ways but the most basic being size and color. Any manipulating you do on a post has two parts to it. (Turn it on and turn it off) This helps keep it simple when you have a lot going on.

Simple text is just typing. You can edit the size and basic colors in the message box that you are typing your reply in. But to do it yourself do the following.

SIZE EDITING - Turn on the size [size=#] (where # is the font size) "Type your text" then turn off the size ["/size] I put the quotes in so you can see the code. To do this for real, take the quotes out for "[/size]" only.

COLOR EDITING - Same idea. Turn on color and turn it off.
    For example [color=#xxxxxx] where xxxxx is the color code.(See color code link) [color=#xxxxxx] "Type your text" then turn off the color ["/color]

BOLD text - ["b] "text" ["/b] turn it off.

GROUP more than one thing together. If I want small font, bold letters and red color for text that says "I lost" it would look like this.
    ["size=4] ["b] ["color=#CC0000] I LOST ["/size] ["/b] ["/color]

IMAGES - The easiest way for me is by storing images to but there are a few ways to add. Should you choose to use the logos I have then you do this. Turn on the image
    here is where the "direct link" to the image would go [url]http://something[/url]
    Then turn it off ["/IMG]

[B][COLOR="Red"]TABLES [/COLOR][/B]- Finally we have tables. I will show you two and you can play with them. Tables are basic but I don't explain them well. The good part is that you still turn them on and then off.
    "then what you want in this row" | separated to what you want next" |
    "Next row" | column | column
    ["/table] to turn it off.

Directing your attention to my first link here is an example of what makes that table.
    Again a reminder that I put the "quotes" in so that you can see the code. Normally will look like [/size] [/b] [/color]

[B][COLOR="Red"]Table 1, simple signature table[/COLOR][/B]
    [table="head;width=180px"][center] [IMG]["/IMG]["/center]|[IMG]["/IMG] |[IMG]["/IMG]
    [color=#white][b][center] OFFL II ["/center]["/b]["/color] | [color=#F1793C][b][center] MILEHIGH HITMAN ["/center]["/b]["/color] | [color=#white][b] [center] OFFSL ["/center] ["/b]["/color] ["/table]

[B][COLOR="Red"]Table 2 example, the scoring summary.[/COLOR][/B]

[color=#F1793C][b]UTEP["/b]["/color]|[center] 7 ["/center]|[center] 7 ["/center]|[center]14["/center]|[center]0["/center]|[center][color=#F1793C][b]28["/b]["/center]["/color]

[color=#DCA505]East Carolina["/color]|[center]7["/center]|[center]0["/center]|[center]0[/center]|[center]14["/center]|[center][color=#DCA505]21["/center]["/color]["/table]

[B][COLOR="Red"]Table example 3, the stats[/COLOR][/B]

[b][size=4][color=#FFFFFF][i]Game Statistics["/i]["/color]["/size]["/b]

[table="width=400px"]|[center][color=#F1793C][b]UTEP["/color]["/b]["/center]|[b][color=#DCA505][center]East Carolina["/color]["/b]["/center]

[b]First Downs["/b]|[center]18["/center]|[center]17["/center]

[b]Total Offense["/b]|[center]432["/center]|[center]384["/center]

[b]Passing Yards["/b]|[center]254["/center]|[center]259["/center]

[b]3rd Down Conv["/b]|[center]7-17(41%)["/center]|[center]2-13(15%)["/center]

In closing, it may sound hard but it's not. If you refer to my links and compare to the code listed above and always remember turn it on and turn it off you will have some personality in your posts. You will also be able to see where you go wrong. Gee, the text is not red, did I turn red on before the text and then turn it off etc..

Feel free to contact me with questions. Hope this was helpful. Carry on..
    Oh and yes, you can cut and paste any of my examples, take out the QUOTES and it should work.

You can go to one of my summaries, click QUOTE and get the code from there.
  2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Feb 22, 2009
    Great post man, thanks!
  3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Feb 10, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    that's awesome forreal

I already know a bit about the codes...the only thing I need to learn here is the tables...I'm looking forward to testing them out
  4. Thanks guys. Hopefully it helps a little.
  5. ko deadeye

ko deadeye Walk On

Feb 23, 2009
    This is great and not that hard at all. I really like the Air Force vs. CSU format, but I would like to add a player of the game at the bottom of the code. Any chance that you could possibly make that for me?

For example have everything centered still and in line with the rest of the summary-

Nebraska(RED CODE)
    T.Mac(RED CODE) - 25-30 250 yds 4 TD's - 10 rush Att. 50 yds 2 TD's(WHITE CODE)
    Texas Tech(RED CODE)

I can get the color code that you have posted; I just can't seem to put everything in the correct place.
  6. jfosh

jfosh Super

Feb 10, 2009