Gamecock Central

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BigSmooth33, Feb 24, 2010.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Gamecock Central

Game one of the 2013 started off with a bang as South Carolina squeaked by the Trojans of USC 42-38.

The S. Carolina defense couldn't stop Matt Barkley and the Trojan air attack, yielding 345 yards and 3 TD.

5* QB recruit Alfred Carey was knocked out of the game early with a bruised sternum. Luckily, Joe Taylor was able to answer the Old Ball Coach's call, going 15-19 for 227 yrds and 4 TD.

RS freshman RB Atkins was the difference, allowing the Gamecocks to control the ball for 16:36 on his 29 carries for 127 yards.

Defensively there are a ton of questions as USC exploited a lot of weaknesses.

On offense, Scruggs came to play, hauling in 5 balls for 106 yrds and a 67 yrd TD. Sean Perry came up huge at TE, with 4 catches for 68 yrds and 2 TDs. His second was the game winner with 30 seconds left to play.

USC nearly came back if it wasn't for a game saving tackle by FS Dan Larsen at the South Carolina 3 yard line...

Glad this one is over.

2. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

Glad to see I am not the only one who struggled week 1. With the exception of Bama everyone had close games......

3. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Another nailbiter for the Gamecocks but in Columbia this time as SC squeaks by Troy 31-28.

The defense has some SERIOUS question marks in the secondary, surrendering 519 yrds and 3 TDs to Jr QB Anthony Ford.

Al Carey bounced back from the bruised sternum in SoCal completing 19 of 27 for 297 and 2 TDs. Travis Atkins saved the day again, eating up the remaining 2:00 of the game with first down after first down, finishing the day with 25 carries for 131 yrds and 2 TDs, adding 5 receptions for 95 yrds and another TD.
    Freshman phenom Darrell Britton had 98 total yards and a TD reception.

Clock management was again the Gamecocks savior with a 16:42-12:03 advantage in TOP.

Almost can't wait for non-CPU games (lol).

4. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

I'm really worried about Texas now.

5. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Well, the old ball coach finally got of the snide thanks to a heroic showing by true freshman QB Al Carey, knocking off Kentucky in Columbia 28-24 in the final second of the game.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/image/17956581#
    What a game. South Carolina came back from down 11 in the 4th.

Carey finished with 274 yards in the air, with 2 TD's, 1 forced INT which he made up for by forcing the fumble from the INT.
    Lance Scruggs was the favorite received, snagging 5 balls for 145 yards and 1 long TD on the Gamecocks first play from scrimmage.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/image/17956582

Senior TE caught the game winning TD and finished the day with 4 catches for 47 yards.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/17956533
    Defensively, senior All American David Reed finally showed up, racking up 10 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble.

Besides losing a heartbreaker, Big Blue nation also lost their start running back, Jerell Green, for 11 weeks with a broken jaw.

Tough breaks for Plex down the stretch with ill timed penalties.

I'll post some highlights and photos later when I get home.

6. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

sounds like a great game

7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Behind the accuracy of freshman phenom Al Carey, the Gamecocks knocked off Arkansas 34-22.

Carey completed 16 of 20 passes for 203 yards and 3 TD's, finishing with an outstanding QB rating of 214.7. Redshirt freshman RB Travis Atkins added 80 yards on the ground on 19 carries.

Defensively, it was Marvin Moore with 10 tackles, but Lee Ball made the play of the day on defense, picking off the Arkansas pass and taking it to the house at the end of the game...

Here's some highlights:

#1 - Al Carey audibles at the line for a quick slant to fellow frosh phenom Darrell Britton
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/18428590
    #2 - Al Carey hits WR Lance Scruggs on playaction on a 3rd and short to go up 14 - 0.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/18428597
    #3 Carey hits RS Freshman Allan Norton for his final TD pass of the game
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/18428626

Good game inag

8. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Al Carey and company topped off a solid 2013 campaign by knocking off the Tar Heels in the Peach Bowl in a shoot out.

Carey threw for over 400 yards and had 5 TDs and fellow freshman all American Allan Norton rushed for over a hundred yards.

Senior David Perry had a strong showing at TE, and Chris Payne finished his career as a Gamecock with another pick solidifying the school record for all time career interceptions.
    David Reed, the preseason all American finished with 2 more sacks, finishing his career 4 sacks short of the all time NCAA career record.

The fans in Columbia have a lot to look forward to thanks to this talented freshman class.

9. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Starting off to a 2-0 record, Heisman hopeful Al Carey has fans in Columbia excited going into next weeks game at home with the Georgia Bulldogs.

The current coaching staff have not beat the Bulldogs in 5 seasons, but preseason All-American RB Travis Atkins hopes to make this season different.

Amassing over 300 yards in his first two games, Atkins performance thus far appears to be much more worthy of Heisman hype than Carey.

Defensively, the back seven is as stout as ever, but the front four is highly inexperienced with exception of senior DT James Jackson. The staff surely needs to focus on the defensive front in recruiting this year.

Overall, alums are cautiously optimistic on the outlook of the Gamecocks 2015 campaign.

10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Final Score: South Carolina 20 Georgia 14

Great grind'em out victory for the Gamecocks, my work horse carried the team to its first victory over UGa since joining the dynasty.

The fans rushed the field as Al Carey took the final knee to wrap up a potential banner victory for the sophomore sensation.
    [​IMG]

The Gamecock defense swarmed the UGa ground attack, holding their speed in check and forcing to pass the pigskin. The pressure and solid coverage forced 2 sacks and 3 INT of the Bulldog's QB.

Offensively, Carey was near perfect, with the exception of an ill timed INT in the red zone. Stats weren't anything spectacular, but the bottom line is that Al Carey knows how to win. Travis Atkins had another 100+ yard day on 30 carries.

Great game Drow. You scrapped your way back in it at the end and I was almost sure you were going to pull the rug from underneath my first victory against you and UGa. Good luck the rest of the season.

SEC East beware! The Dawgs have some serious speed and a deceptive offensive playbook!

11. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

South Carolina knocks off #1 Ole Miss in Columbia!

After an a$$ whooping in Tuscalloosa, the Gamecock faithful got to have #1 Ole Miss come to town for a much needed bounce back game.

Al Carey was near perfect and moved the chains effectively all game long with crisp, pin point passing. Atkins was bottled up, held under 40 yards rushing by the Rebs defense.

This was a real hard hitting, defensive battle between two top 10 programs, as South Carolina prevailed 26-14.

Player of the game was senior FS Dan Larsen, 1 INT and the TD on the fumble recovery for the Gamecocks. The Gamecocks defense swarmed and confused Ole Miss QB D. Hunt enroute to 5 sacks and 3 costly turnovers.
    [​IMG]

Good game jdr, EA wasn't going to let you win this one. If it weren't for bad luck in this game, the Rebs wouldn't have had any at all...

Links to highlights... By the way, some of these could have made it easily in an NFL Hits video.

Sack #1 of 5 of Ole Miss QB D. Hunt. SS Terrell Bolden came in untouched on a zone blitz to force the fumble.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19871272

Sack #3 of 5 of Ole Miss QB D. Hunt
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19871277

Fantastic read by SoCar MLB Brett Lewis for the INT of Ole Miss
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19871379

Sack #5 of 5 of Ole Miss QB D. Hunt
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19871352

Fumble recovery by FS Dan Larsen of South Carolina and 22 yard scamper for the TD. Unfortunate series of events for Ole Miss, as they had the first down, down 19-7 in the 4th, when Hunt dove for the extra yards, and the football hit the leg of a SoCarolina defender, forcing the fumble.
    http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/19871343

I thought I saved jdr's TD reception, which was an awesome play, but apparently not...

Great game jdr. Next up, those pesky Wildcats and new SEC Speed coach, bcduggan in Lexington.

12. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Yeah, I got the screws. Lol funny how that happens. I couldn't do Jack. If I'm not mistaken, I didn't complete a pass the 1st half. My starting qb, Thomas, completed one to sc, but other than that...

Smooth set the tone early by marching down and scoring on the opening drive.

Had Hunt slid as intended he would have easily had the 1st but he dove. I was feeling comfortable and thought I might have a shot but the fumble ended any chance.

Great game by smooth. It seems like a dogfight most every time I play him. I got to be Cinderella for a short time

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

South Carolina had a good defensive showing against UK in Lexington, winning 28-3.

Let the SEC be warned though, bcduggan has a killer running game that is down right legit. I couldn't stop him consistently for the life of me.

Mistakes throwing the ball for the Wildcats essentially cost the game.

Lost connection late in the 4th quarter and I ate up the clock the rest of the game.

Always good fun playing bc... Excellent addition to the OD, and I hope he never gets a hold of some talent up there in Big Blue Nation...

14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

In another well fought game between the Hogs and Sout Carolina, Al Carey led the Gamecocks to a 31-19 victory in Columbia.

It seemed like the OBC had the Arkansas defense on it's heels all game long, mixing the offense up. Carey connected with 9 different receivers enroute to a 250 yard day on 18 of 24 pass attempts and 2 TD's.

Allen Norton stepped up big after Travis Atkins went down for 3 weeks. Norton finished with 92 yards on 14 carries. Overall, the SC running game did well setting the pass up totalling over 130 yards on the day.
    Sophomore WR Cory Harper was the main target for Carey, hauling in five balls for 105 yards and 1 TD.

Defensively, the Gamecock defense did not get as much pressure on the Arkansas QB as
    preferred due to his athleticism, but still managed 3 sacks.
    Two interceptions hampered the Razors attack also.

Good game.

Highlights to be linked in tomorrow.

15. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

South Carolina 35 Georgia 13

Great all around ball game by the Gamecocks in Columbia.

The defense really showed up, forcing 3 INT's from RS Freshman Andy Murray and sacking him several other times.

Alshon Jeffrey and the Gamecocks passing attack was able to keep a comfortable lead throughout the game despite losing star quarterback Stephen Garcia early in the game.

Good game Drow. Glad to start off Yr1 in the SEC on the right foot and lucky it started with UGa.

Freshman phenom Marcus Lattimore lived up to the hype, amassing over 100 total yards and a pretty 19 yard TD run.

Highlights saved here...
    http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_user_state=system#module=moduleStoryView&story=$00248d0dd2ee_168F4_6A1C87F8&dynid=92404&sku=661A0001&sid=0&wknum=1

16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

South Carolina 32 Stanford 29

Fantastic win by Stephen Garcia and the Gamecocks, as they squeak out a 32-29 win over Jim Harbaugh and Andrew Luck's Stanford Cardinal.

Exciting game all the way, as Standford led for majority of the game, until Garcia hit Jason Barnes for an 8 yard go ahead TD. The 2 Pt conversion failed and SC had a 1 point lead.

The following drive, Andrew Luck drove down the field and found his favorite target, R. Whalen for a 16 yard TD pass. Luck converted the 2 point conversion to go up 7.

With one timeout remaining, Garcia orchestrated a fantastic drive, connecting with potential Heisman candidate Alshon Jeffrey for a 20+ yard gain, setting up for the game tieing TD pass to D. Lecorn.

In an unbelievable turn of events, with all 3 timeouts remaining and less than 0:50 to play, Stanford elected to try to move the ball down field to set up for the late FG instead of heading to OT in Columbia.

In a crazy twist of faith, Andrew Luck was picked off after being pressured on a 3 man rush and was picked off by S. Wilson. Wilson, having been aware of the time left on the clock, quickly scooted out of bounds with 0:01 left on the clock to set up the Steven Lanning 33 yard GW field goal.

Crazy game before going into Auburn for the Gamecocks second SEC showdown.

For photos and video replays click here:http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_user_state=system#module=moduleStoryView&story=$00248d0dd2ee_168F4_6A235100&dynid=92404&sku=661A0001&sid=0&wknum=2

17. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Another good game in the nkmi/BigSmooth saga, as South Carolina held together for a 31-21 victory in Auburn, AL.

Stephen Garcia continued on his tear through his junior season, going 15 of 22 for 306 yards and 3 TDs. Sophomore sensation Alshon Jeffrey continued his work, hauling in 6 catches for 104 yards and another score. Frosh RB Marcus Lattimore ripped off the opening score on a pretty 60 yard TD run against an overly agressive Auburn Tiger defense.

Details and highlights can be found here:
    http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_user_state=system#module=moduleStoryView&story=$00248d0dd2ee_168F4_6A3152A6&dynid=92404&sku=661A0001&sid=0&wknum=3

Good luck in the rest of the season nkmi...

18. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

I am horrible this year

19. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Stephen Garcia and Alshon Jeffrey met together again in the end zone twice this week as Bama came to town.
    [​IMG]

This big home victory brings the Gamecocks to 5-0 and 2-0 in SEC play.

20. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

21. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

In another big game in Columbia in the Spurrier Bowl, the Gamecocks knocked off #12 Florida 25-21. Florida was up 21-9 going into the 4th quarter, but Stephen Garcia's fleet feet and accurate arm helped put up 16 points in the 4th quarter to knock off the Gators.

Jeffrey was held in check, only snagging one ball and RB Marcus Lattimore was knocked out of the game mid way through the 2nd quarter with broken ribs.

Thankfully, Garcia's athleticism made up for lost offense in Lattimore. The Gators defense was tough; they mixed in heavy blitzing with dropping 7 in coverage allowing for Garcia to scramble for much needed first downs, especially late in the game.

Great game fsupenguin and good luck in the rest of your season.

22. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Alshon Jeffrey and Marcus Lattimore got going on the right foot against the ECU Pirates.

Jeffrey got into the end zone 3 times and Lattimore added another on his own and over 100 yards on the ground.

Starting QB Connor Shaw was knocked out of the game with bruised ribs but should return with no problem for week 2.