Gameday: Championship Week

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by -4-, Aug 19, 2011.

1. -4-

-4- Walk On

[​IMG]
    Welcome to ESPN’s coverage of Championship Week. The Gameday crew is here to break down preview all six championship games as the BCS picture will finally piece itself together and become complete.​

First off, we’d like to congratulate both the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Texas Longhorns for winning the Big East and Big XII conferences. The Mountaineer finished with a perfect 8-0 record in the Big East this season, while #7 Texas finished 9-0 to win the Big East. Coincidentally the Longhorns’ only loss on the season was to the aforementioned Mountaineers.​

The two AQ leagues leave us with 8 slots left to be determined. Obviously the four championship game winners will make that six spots filled. But the final four spots are still up for debate. Let’s bring the guys in here to discuss the four most likely candidates.​

1. [​IMG]The Broncos had yet another unbeaten year this season and will sit and watch rooting hard for either USC or Michigan State to pull the upset this weekend. The Broncos are pretty much guaranteed a BCS slot at this point.​

2. [​IMG]The Badgers are in the clubhouse with a 10-2 record. The only way it seems the Badgers would be out is if Michigan State upsets Michigan.​

3. [​IMG]We give the slight edge to South Carolina over Mississippi State for the SEC’s second BCS bid due to the Bulldogs’ stuggles down the stretch. But if Arkansas were to lose, it’d be anyone guess who earned the spot the most.​

4. [​IMG] For the final at-large spot we have to go a long ways. Oklahoma seems like the likely choice, but the winner of the C-USA title game could possibly jump into contention.​

___________________________________​

Finally, it’s time for a preview of this week’s games.​

[​IMG]
    (8-3, 7-1)[​IMG][​IMG](10-2, 7-1)​
    It’s a repeat of last year’s MAC title game for the RedHawks and Huskies. Both teams looked strong all season and were the favorites to reach this game yet again. This season look for the RedHawks to pull it out, as they are clearly the more talented team. But last year the underdogs pulled the upset, so it could be the same story this year.​

Players to Watch
    For Miami- MLB Jerrell Wedge​
    For NIU- QB Chandler Harnish​

[​IMG]
    (11-1, 8-0) #20 [​IMG][​IMG]#22 (11-1, 8-0)​

In what is likely to be the last C-USA title game with the conference losing five members, both the Southern Miss Golden Eagles and the Houston Cougars look for one last shining moment for the conference before bolting for bigger and better things. Both teams were obviously quite successful in 2011, but the winner of the game may have an outside shot at an at-large BCS bid making this game a big one.​

Players to Watch
    For Houston- QB Case Keenum​
    For S. Miss- QB Austin Davis​

[​IMG]
    (9-3, 7-1) #13[​IMG][​IMG]#5 (11-1, 8-0)​

The Hokies have been a dominant defensive force all season, coming in with the Nation’s second ranked defense. The Hokies only loss was to Title hopeful Michigan, and just might be in line for a title shot if a lot of things go their way. FSU didn’t look to hot in their first meeting with Virginia Tech in Blacksburg this season. But with a neutral site and the Seminoles on a roll after a slow start, the story may end up being much different this time around​

Players to Watch

For FSU- RB Chris Thompson​
    [​IMG]

For VT- MLB Bruce Taylor​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (9-3, 6-2) #9[​IMG][​IMG]#4 (11-1, 7-1)​
    A rematch of one of the more memorable upsets of the year, this should be a good one. The Vols came right into Fayetteville in Week 12 and stole the game from right under the Hogs’ noses. The win left Arkansas scrambling late in the season to try and get back into the title picture and with a few breaks, they could be right there. The Razorbacks won’t overlook Tennessee this time around though, and should be prepared. That being said Tennessee’s first year head coach has the team headed in the right direction, and if the first meeting was any indication, the Vols can definitely win this and may even be favored by some.​

Players to Watch

For Tennessee- CB Prentiss Waggner​
    [​IMG]

For Arkansas- WR Greg Childs​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (9-2, 7-1)[​IMG][​IMG]#2 (12-0, 9-0)​

It’s the inaugural Pac-12 title game and the Stanford Cardinal are just one win away from a title shot. Andrew Luck and Stepfan Taylor have given teams fits and with the dark cloud hanging over the Trojan program, I wouldn’t expect too much. That being said, Stanford hasn’t been in any position like this for quite some time and nerves could wreak havoc on the Cardinal, so don’t count out the Trojans.​

Players to Watch

For USC- QB Matt Barkley​
    [​IMG]

For Stanford- RB Stepfan Taylor​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(9-3, 6-2) #24[​IMG][​IMG]#1 (12-0, 8-0)​

Out of absolutely nowhere the Michigan Wolverines have re-established themselves as one of the nation’s elite teams. Nobody has even been able to keep it close, as the nation’s number one defense has been sensational. The Wolverines have been so sensational, so unexpectedly that tactics are still being picked apart. Michigan State was one of the two teams that kept it relatively respectable this season, but the Spartans have been all over the map, losing games to teams they shouldn’t have. So no one knows what to expect from them in this game, as it took a lot for MSU to even get into the position they are in.​

Players to Watch

For MSU- QB Kirk Cousins​
    [​IMG]

For Michigan- RB Stephen Hopkins​
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us, and enjoy your day of football on ESPN.

2. -4-

-4- Walk On

Next Advance will be Sunday around 8 PM.

Good Luck.

3. JagNation

JagNation Walk On

Nice gameday! And OK State WILL win the Big XII next year!

4. thequick135

thequick135 Walk On

kinqskid when can you get the game in? I am available saturday basically any time before 2pm or after 10pm and sunday morning or sunday night if necessary

5. thequick135

thequick135 Walk On

or right now

6. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

We can play tonight around 11- 11:30pm (EST) I'll be home today around 1:30 pm but you may not be available.

7. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

ok quick change of plans. I gotta do the wifey date night thing (dinner and movies) so I'll be available anything Sunday after 3pm. Ill send you my cellnumber through xbox live and just text me when you're free tomorrow. If you see my gamertag on tonight it's not me, but either my 17 or 8 year old boys playing..

8. thequick135

thequick135 Walk On

-4- can we get an extension to sunday night? I am gone for most of the day tomorrow and wont be back til late afternoon early night, can we adv after we get our game in sunday night if thats the only time we can play?

kinqskid ill be gone most of the day sunday, ill be home til around noon but will be gone til around 9-10pm can we play around 10 est sundaynight?

9. -4-

-4- Walk On

Yeah, no problem.

10. kinqskid

kinqskid Walk On

Cool, I'm available SUnday night, just text me when your ready.

11. thequick135

thequick135 Walk On

-4- we're good to adv

12. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

anyone makin to National championship?