GameFlow and GamePlan

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by ChickenOfTheSea, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

GameFlow and GamePlan

Hey guys, thought I would post this here and get some thoughts.

GameFlow: Have you used it? And do you plan on using it regularly. Please explain your answer.

I used it in the demo (which was a huge disservice to the game, releasing the early build version of the game in a demo is a cardinal sin.)
    Since then I have been using it in my Offline Franny. All Pro, default sliders, no sprint or strafe, 8 minutes 15 second accel clock. I want to use it in every gaem because it gets you to the line with time to make your adjustments and still allows for a clock runoff which shortens games. Will I use it? I have to spend some more time and use it in H-2-H games before deciding. Coordinator dialogue and text is off, its just clutter. It would have been much more useful if the coordinator called in the play, so you knew what was going on.

GamePlan: have you used it, will you use it, if so what do you like or dislike about it?
    Yes i have, it takes about 30 minutes a side to setup. Then you have to remember to select it from the start game menu. Use of GameFlowwill determine my use of GamePlan. We all know the little tricks, like calling nickel zone x and flipping it as soon as the huddle breaks to try and disguise it as man. or audibling from man to zone after a motion check. Little things that can make or break a game. Those are gone if you use these 2 new "tools"

Some observations:
    Game plan is so close to being a HUGE tool for sim gamers. It lets you choose a base pool of plays for one side of the ball. (I started with D). and it has prefilled and preweighted 15 plays for each of several situations: "normal" "trips-D" "nickel" "dime" "goalline" "prevent"

Weighting plays from .5 to 5 stars sets how often that play is called in the setting its assigned to. If you are a blitzing monster, here is where you tinker with your favorite blitzes and their frequency. If you rarely play man, load up on your favorite zone combos and weight them as preferred.

You can remove all plays in a particular set ("normal" and then build from scratch, or you can replace plays one at a time. you are able to mix and match, meaning if you want to run goalline against a 5 WR set you can......Cheeser.
    However you CANNOT select any of the specific sub sets that means if you like 43 over you are out of luck. you will only be allowed to choose from base formations. I can imagine this is to keep from lagging out games as gameplans would get pretty complex??? Its a huge shortcoming that keeps gameplan from being much more awesome. If I was designing GamePlan I would have allowed access to the entire list of plays based on your pool, and included all formations, + allowed you to use your own gameplan whether you employ GAMEFLOW or not. That would have been a useful addition.
    Because in traditional play calling there are pages of plays we never use because they suck. being able to design your own playbook and use it has been on wishlists for 10 years.

2. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

GameFlow and GamePlan

GameFlow: Have you used it? And do you plan on using it regularly. Please explain your answer.

I've been using since the demo and am happy with the results. Rather than repeat the same as the OP, I can tell you I share the same sentiments with it. While I was initially unhappy when the feature was first announced, I like that I am now diversifying my playcalling. I am seeing and using more plays that I typically would. In other words, true to a real NFL QB, I get plays called into me from the offensive coordinator. It is my duty to carry them out and make them work. If by chance I am not happy with the play, I simply audible out. I would say I am using 50-60% of the plays that are called into me. Also, I am using this to the same extent in both offline and online play. So the thought is to continue this trend into my TMFL experience this season.

GamePlan: have you used it, will you use it, if so what do you like or dislike about it?

Just like GameFlow, I am a proponent of GamePlanning. I am only now just starting to devote some time into modifying the attributes (or weight) with all of my plays. In the little time I have spent with my modifications, I am impressed. I have only scratched the surface in what appears like an awesome tool for SIM tyle Madden players.

3. Brewskie19

Brewskie19 I Bleed Green & Gold!

Game Flow

I have used it and have had some success and some failure with it.

I will not use it anymore in the redzone, and on defense I tend to set my audibles in such a way that if the gameflow play call is bad for the given circumstances (Ie, my opponent is always running and gameflow gives me a pass coverage even in a 2nd and 10 situation) I can audible out to compensate my gut on another run.

As for my redzone comment, last night, I am 1st and goal on the 5 yard line, and I call my last time out with 10 seconds left on the clock, I clicked gameflow, and it chose a FG. I couldn't audible out, I had no time outs left, and if I ran the clock and took a penalty, a 10 second runoff. I had no choice but to kick it.
    I had enough time for 2 shots at the endzone.

It can be a good tool, but to only use it I think would be a mistake and hurt you.

4. ChickenOfTheSea

Great point. Interestingly enough we have all seen our favorite NFL coaches kick that FG there too. even though we wanted to see a shot at the endzone. I have to play around some more and see if Weight is the only thing that is factored in play calling. Or if there is hidden logic (3rd and over 5 higher chance to blitz etc. or of your "coach tendancies" that have always been useless to us players has any weight???

5. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I think we should use it in TMFL. it will speed up games and the coach with a better gameplan will win just like real life. to actually have to prepare for opponent is really col idea..

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Gameflow takes a level of strategy out of it for me.

I will not be using it unless we are required to by the league.

7. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

I agree. I enjoy being able to call what play I want and when, I don't want to have to hope that the play I want is called. My other concern with game plan is that I'm not sure how substitution packages work, I plan on splitting carries between McFadden and Bush and so far have been unable to do this when using Gameflow.

8. Matt54987

Matt54987 Walk On

I really despise GameFlow. It really is a casual addition (this version seems like it is targeting the casual player/fan. See: defensive AI) and since it is up to the individual user whether they want to use it or not, we should just let that person do as they please, imo.

9. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I like it in my offline franchise because it makes things more difficult, heh.

10. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

This is actually a great point since I will be splitting the load between Williams and Ward. I haven't found any way to successfully get the correct balance when using GameFlow since I have no option to make in-menu substitutions.

11. ChickenOfTheSea

A small update, Gameplanning is useable WITHOUT gameflow. games are somewhat slower because its back to both sides picking plays and ofc the Defense gets their 10 seconds to choose. so a 15 second accel is basically a 5 second accel.

However its cool to see your plays displayed based on your down and distance. its not like you get to see your entire custom playbook, its just up to 15 plays that you selected for that particular scenario. and you can still select the whole playbook at any point in the game.

12. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

OK I don't mean to be harsh but......

Seriously? WTF, lol. I don't care if the GameFlow thing is stacked with plays that I chose there is no way no how that I will ever let any part of Madden AI choose plays for me. Since when has Madden AI EVER fully functioned as it should? In any aspect of the game? Lol.....anywho, I think the idea of taking play calling out of my hands is just nuts. Also, I'm willing to bet that unless you go in and change your gameplan around regularly then once I play you once or twice I'll have a decent idea of whats coming on first down just by the formation alone.

13. ChickenOfTheSea

Tide, all good points, thanks for chiming in. Weighting allows you to establish your go to plays. and if you dont use GameFlow, but take thetime to build opponent tailored gameplans, that option is there to use those plays with 90% functionality while in conventional playcall mode.