Gameplan Settings Poll

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by GoGators, Feb 2, 2010.

?

Aggressive gameplan settings. Should we:

1. Ban all aggressive gameplan settings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ban only defensive line jump snap and go for strip and keep the rest in play?

100.0%
  1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Gameplan Settings Poll

McGriff brought this up so let's hear what you guys think.

Do we want to:

a) Ban all aggressive gameplan settings

b) Ban only go for strip and defensive line jump snap and keep the rest in play?

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

McGriff? LOL!! Isn't that the hamburgerlars best friend or something?

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I'm not sure that either of those are the best option. For some settings like "strip the ball" there's an obvious, swing in the sliders.
    Aggressive = defense will try for turnovers.
    Conservative = defense will not try for turnovers.
    Going aggressive means the D will try to make something happen.

Other settings aren't that way as EA could've swapped the conservative and aggressive settings and things wouldn't be that different. These are zones and option play. While something like "stripping" has 1 setting if the D wants to make something happen, these 2 depend completely on the offense. If the offense only throws deep, then you want conservative zones to try to stop them. If they mainly throw short passes, you want aggressive zones. For the option, if the user pitches most of the time, you want to play the pitch man (conservative) but if he keeps with his QB usually, you want to play the QB (aggressive).

So, if you ban aggressive stripping or D-line, you're taking away a tool that's advantageous to the defense all the time. If you ban aggressive zones and options defense, you're only penalizing defenses that are facing users that throw short passes and have their QBs keep on options, but you'd still let the defense have an effective tool against users that throw deep and pitch it on options.

I'd argue that it makes sense to keep someone from jumping the snap all the time, but it doesn't make sense to allow us to defend the pass against deep balls, but not against short balls or to allow us to play the pitch man, but not the QB. Because of that, I'd vote "none of the above" from the options given.

Personally, these are the settings that I don't think should be allowed:
    Agg. stripping
    Agg D-line
    Agg interceptions
    Agg big hits

It would be easier to just ban all aggressive settings, but it makes zero sense at all to ban aggressive zones and aggressive options so therefore, my vote would be:

Allow aggressive zones and options only and ban all other aggressive settings.

4. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I agree with jello....

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I am of course going to defend not allowing aggresive option setting sense I am the only option run offense. WHen set at aggressive it almost completely shuts down the option all together. I have been playing ranked games with the option run offense for practice and as soon as my opponent sets the option setting to aggresive my options become useless. In the agressive setting the defense jumps the QB very quickly and you are left with no play or either a late pitch. So then I am going to catch flack for that too I guess. I think we should just leave are rules that are in place. Whenever there is change, not everyone will be happy.....kinda of like Obama as president.

I have trouble defending the spread offense....can I make a motion to ban all shotgun formations.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I aGree with jello. Unfortunately hokie your the only one running a true option offense to u might get the brunt of this change.

7. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I orginally agreed with Jello, but after reading Hokie's post, I felt the same when I played against UNC. I use Mississippi States playbook and lots of option as well. I had to abandon the option all together. I don't think it should be that strong. If they select go for QB it should let your HB free to a certain extent and vise versa. This is not the case. I think it is broken. So I think something should be done about the option defenses.

That's why I voted to ban all, which I think is the popular decision in most of the leagues.

8. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

As an interested observer, does anyone know how many leagues have outright banned the use of the gameplan features?

9. Hokie Effect

So whats the point of making a rule change if it will only effect 1 user....makes me feel singled out. You are basically asking me to run a different offense. Like I joked earlier its like me asking people not to run shotgun formations (to some extent).

If it aint broke don't fix it. No reason to change rules midseason, especially if it will only effect 1 user. How about this if you back down on your stance I promise not to run the option exclusively when we meet. :thumbsup:

10. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

Hokie, you're not being singled out. How do you think Shepard has all those rushing yards? I run option as well and I am agreeing with you.

11. Hokie Effect

Thanks...yeah Shepard is a beast and has my early vote for MVP...run the table and me as well and we might get a rematch for the BCS title. We can then just run the option till our hearts contend. (y)

12. GoGators

I tried to look this up and I didn't see any leagues where they were outright banned. (I only looked at T1-3 and TIV).

13. jello1717

Just an FYI for both Hokie and Bfruchey.

I didn't use aggressive option (play the QB) defense against you. I used the conservative (play the pitch man) option against you. If you think this shut you down (which it clearly didn't for Hokie, but apparently did for LSU), then it was the conservative setting that did it, not the aggressive one. That was my whole point. For those 2 settings, banning aggressive and allowing conservative doesn't make any sense at all since the conservative settings are just as effective (which I'd argue isn't all that effective) as the aggressive ones, they're just effective against different things (playing the QB instead of pitch man or defending the short pass instead of deep pass).

14. Hokie Effect

I dont care about the conservative settings, its the aggresive option setting thats gonna crush my offensive gameplan. Like I said when set to aggresive the D jumps the QB so quick that don't have a play, unless he gets a late pitch off and then people would complain about that. So you would be forced to abandoned the option and my playbook is option exclusive, which would really hurt my team's offense more so any one else.

15. GoGators

Isn't aggressive to play the pitchman?

16. jello1717

It could be, but I'm pretty certain that's conservative.

17. Hokie Effect

Nope. Aggresive takes the QB and it happens fairly quick.

18. jello1717

I just got on and got a better look @ the gameplanning stuff. Receiver's route running is another one that doesn't make sense to ban the aggressive setting for. All this does is tell your receivers what to do after they complete their routes. Do they run deep (aggressive) or come back short (conservative)? It makes no sense to ban running deep while allowing them to run shallow.

19. GoGators

Well, it seems like things are kind of split down the middle. Since we're in the middle of the season and there isn't overwhelming evidence, we're going to leave the settings as is for now. We may revisit this before starting next season.

So for now, ALL AGGRESSIVE GAMEPLAN SETTINGS ARE BANNED.