Gameplay and League Culture Conversation and Issues

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jun 19, 2012.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

when these come up I'm going to address on the fly, knowing that a) they could change when game comes out and depending on how it plays and b) that I'll gather a list and add to league rules page.

that said:

1) we allow user catches in this league (again, unless they prove stupidly unrealistic in this release)
    2) we NEVER use gameplay adjustments (strip ball, go for INT, etc). We don't use conservative, we don't use aggressive. Leave all adjustments to default. The ONLY time you can change is if you are playing the CPU and kiling them and want to run the clock in the 4th quarter you can put time on conservative. THAT'S IT!

• Like Like x 1
  2. vatechhokie01

another note that will be stressed:

QB mobility - here's the deal. Two things will NOT be tolerated this year.
    1) crying if a guy runs his QB. THis is college football. QBs run all the time. Get over it. Running with QBs isn't even remotely as easy or automatic as it used to be. And you surely aren't going to sit back in coverage zone the whole game and then cry when QBs run. Especially if the dude has an athletic QB. This said...
    2) unsim qb running will not be tolerated. If a qb runs, aside from designed rollouts or honest heat from one side that pushes you out of the pocket, it should almost always be a run through the tackles. But to add to this, if you are running your QB a lot, he better be athletic and part of your system. But again, if a guy rolls the pocket on you and runs around for a TD once a game... get over it. It happens all the time.

Good Rules of Thumb:
    -if you are hiking the ball and immediately taking off... unless it is a designed run play... it not not sim
    -try to run through the tackles on 90% of all QB runs
    -if your qb is slow as a slow fat white guy... you should rarely run ever

P.S. This thread would be great for gameplay questions and discussion btw. Although i'm sure it will take a wild rabbit-trail in about 2 or 3 more posts, lol.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Goose

Goose Walk On

What about changing defenders while the ball is in the air. Is that cool since we can do user catches?

4. vatechhokie01

yes. its either users for both or users for neither. We are going users for both.

5. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Sir, what is your stance on fake punts?

• Like Like x 1
  6. vatechhokie01

lol, in the league rules (and always has been).

Fake punts should be extremely rare and only in reasonable situations. Within this, if you use more than 1 (maybe 2) per year, it is unsim. Definitely not more than 1 per user game per year and even then... it better be in a reasonable situation and beyond rare.

BUT... they happen. So they can happen here.

7. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

I believe it happened ONCE in six seasons last year.

8. vatechhokie01

yea, can't even remember who did it though.

9. vatechhokie01

another popular one (just added to League Homepage under rules btw... Go check out the league page updates!)

Throwing to Slots, TEs, and RBs
    As with QB Mobility, passing to slot receivers, TEs, and RBs is a realistic part of football. With this, 2 things will not be tolerated:
    1) Crying because a guy throws to his slots, TEs, and RBs. Get over it. This said...
    2) We will not tolerate unsim utilization of slots, TEs, and RBs. What this means is the need for mature discernment and discretion (a.k.a be sim!).

• In other words, if the guy you are playing's best player is his Tight End (do your research!), he is going to throw to him... a lot. Stop him. However, if your TE is terrible, he should not be used more than a couple times per game.
    • With Slot Receivers, they are clearly NOT your best receivers (and we do not put our best WRs in the slot on the depth chart) and as such requires restraint. Slots are used all the time. But slots should NEVER have the most catches or dominate your games. I know... Wes Welker exists. But so does the reality that slots in video games are hard to replicate. Use your slots. When your competition uses theirs... don't cry. But be reasonable. Your WR1 and WR2 should lead your team in receptions. However, and again... Don't cry when the slot on the team your playing catches a TD. It happens! Stop making excuses and step up and win!
    • The same discretion should be utilized with Running Backs. If you (or your opponent) has a small shifty pass-catching RB, watch out. But if your offense is a pro-style big back power run game, this should be reflected in the pass-catching RB department.
    Summary: If you're opponent throws a TD to his tight end and/or running back, get the ball and go score and beat him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. vatechhokie01

couple more important bits added to home page (btw, I will requiring before we start an official read and sign-off on the home page again). Please read and commit personally to helping out the league with this. Almost all of us (me included) are guilty of some of these things. The realities? a) losing sucks but b) none of us care 24hrs after the fact and its a dang video game. Let us improve on this... all of us...

League Culture Statement:
    Playing video game football with friends is amazing. We are nerds. But it is amazing. This said, often one of the biggest challenges in this endeavor is to not become overly competitive a-holes who cry over ever loss and put ourselves over our opponent, friendships, and the league. To this end, this league is committed to losing well. Everyone will lose. And every time you lose, it will not be because your opponent was unsim.

We have (and continue to stay committed to) assembled a group that knows and cares for one another. Make sure this comes into your gameplay. Assume the best. Lose well. And move on to the next game. It's video game football.

Best rule of thumb for losing well: When you lose, take 24hrs before you comment on the forums. It works almost every time!

Formal Procedure for Issuing Complaint over Gameplay
    Here are the mandatory rules when you believe a user has played unfairly:
    1) Do not post in the forums! Specifically (we are all probably guilty of this), do NOT post some passive aggressive side-jab ("hey, good game... especially the throwing to your tight tend part :)"). This is cowardly. If you have a problem, deal with it. If you don't, let it go.
    2) If you do see a legitimate problem, deal with the individual directly through the game or PMs first. If you aren't willing to do this, your complaint isn't serious enough. Again... care enough about the league and the others to do this. And don't let one game ruin a league for you or others.
    3) If you cannot find closure or agreement with the user, PM the commissioners PRIVATELY!. Make sure to have statistics, videos, etc. Don't just give hearsay (yea, he threw to his slot the whole game).

In summary: never post accusations on the forums and always assume the best in moving on well.

11. vatechhokie01

no idea why it is all italicizing... painful to read.

12. vatechhokie01

and again... chime in on these if you think they need revisions, etc. Try to keep on topic! lol

P.S. Writing and thinking through all of this has been convicting. That's not a joke. I fully confess that I'm not always the best at losing myself. And though I'm def not one to ever quit over a loss, etc... I am one that needs to take 24hrs possibly. But with all of this said, seriously (make fun of my gayness if you wish, lol)... I apologize for any past bad attitude and definitely commit (and ask you to do the same as we build this thing!) to lose well, encourage the league, and focus on friendship and the long view. I mean, damn... its video game football!!!

Our new league motto maybe:
    "The game doesn't suck. Your opponent doesn't suck. Life doesn't suck. You do. So stop sucking."​

• Like Like x 1
  13. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

[/quote]
    "The game doesn't suck. Your opponent doesn't suck. Life doesn't suck. You do. So stop sucking."​
    [/quote]

Its a tad wordy....I will work on something

14. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

fify Mullen (y)

• Like Like x 2
  15. vatechhokie01

seriously I'm gonna push this thread a bit. anyone have any other topics that need to be addressed or discussed? questions?