Gameplay Discussion

Discussion in '1st and 10' started by Kasper, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Hey folks,

Just wanted to start this thread up. "Sim" play can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, so I wanted us to get talking about it so we know what the group is looking for. Some questions I want you to consider, though they are all just things to get the chit chat going regarding this topic:

1) What is sim to you?

2) What are some of your pet peeves when you play other users?

3) What kind of offense and defense do you like to run? Favor zone or man? Blitzing zone 3-4 (my preference)?

Have at it folks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

1) What is sim to you? playing the game its played on sundays
    2) What are some of your pet peeves when you play other users? Abusing plays that are sucessfull 90% of the time (ex. out routes on ncaa 14)
    3) What kind of offense and defense do you like to run? Favor zone or man? Blitzing zone 3-4 (my preference)? no real favorite depends on personal. Like to mix zone/man up depending on situation

dont want to let to much out right now

3. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    1) What is sim to you?
    The way I view sim is that if I was a coach in the NFL, what would my team look like, and how would they play.

I don't have too many, but excess screen plays and draws can really tick me off. To me it comes on a year by year basis. If their is a flaw in Madden and that kind of thing is exploited than that is one of my biggest ones.

3) What kind of offense and defense do you like to run? Favor zone or man? Blitzing zone 3-4 (my preference)?
    Offense I like to air it out, consider me an NFL version of Mike Leach. Why run the ball when you can pass?

As far as defense goes, I like to play an attacking 3-4 with more zone than man. It does depend on my opponent as to a large portion of my play calling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke4

Luke4 Walk On

1) What is sim to you? Agree w/ texacotea and broth. Make realistic decisions
    2) What are some of your pet peeves when you play other users? Repetitive use of the same broken play(s). Going for it on 4th when you know you shouldn't. (4th and 1 on your own 25? Punt.)
    3) What kind of offense and defense do you like to run? Favor zone or man? Blitzing zone 3-4 (my preference)? Either that team's playbook or Pittsburg. Defense varies per opponent, but 4-3 cover 2 is my default

5. Julius Young

Julius Young Walk On

1) What is sim to you? To me, Sim means REAL football rules where one doesn't play cheesy and play like NFL players play every sunday

Players that run the same play over and over and that does madden running

Madden 25: Off:Washington Def: 3-4

6. Luke4

Luke4 Walk On

Madden running?

7. Julius Young

Julius Young Walk On

Yeah it was on ps3 where you run side ways with your player its kind of weird to explain

• Like Like x 2
  8. Dustin

Dustin Walk On

1. Sim is playing as close to realistic as the video game will allow you to.
    2. When people using a mobile qb constantly roll out and just dump off the ball once the covering corner or linebacker pursue instead of cover allowing a big gain most of the time. Or using the read option every single play.
    3. Typically i like be conservative with a mix of run and pass plays. I generally like a mix of pass rush with man coverage. More 3-4 than anything.

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I was curious how some felt about QB rollouts - It was something I planned on doing a bit of with Manziel. I never liked the read option, as I think Madden (and NCAA towards the end) made it ridiculously easy to run. That said, with a guy like Manziel that will also have to be put into my gameplay. I've always been a fan of the singleback formations- but with this type of QB I have to utilize his legs.

10. Dustin

Dustin Walk On

I understand using a qb's legs if hes got em. Bht theres a difference between making a play and constantly rolling out and running. You know im gonna be using flacco to tear off big gains!

11. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

Agree with this. Big difference in using it occasionally but to do it 3-5 times a drive is overboard. I understand he will use his legs but if I wanted to face johnny like that I'd play in the east lobby

12. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

1) What is sim to you?
    Just playing football, not a video game. that simple imo

Draws every 3-4 running plays. C'mon man

West Coast is my go to on offense, on defense I guess a hybrid-ish defense like Seattle or Cincy under Zimmer

13. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I didn't mean that I am going to roll out and make a CB choose on purpose- more if I'm rolling out and your guys are locked up in man Johnny might be looking to tuck it in.

14. Dustin

Dustin Walk On

Yea thats a real football play, thats fine. But johnny better be ready to get smacked lol

• Like Like x 2
  15. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

I'll hold judgement but this could be an issue. IMO

16. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

1) What is sim to you?
    Playing the Madden the way it is supposed to be played. A chess match where playcalling counts, not bullcrap.
    Seeing the same plays and formations over again.
    I like to run the 43. Have been for years now. I mix it up between zone or man, keeps my opponents guessing. I blitz occasionally, but nothing outlandish.

17. Kevin Gomez

Kevin Gomez Walk On

[Kasper, post: 1556507, member: 361"]I was curious how some felt about QB rollouts - It was something I planned on doing a bit of with Manziel. I never liked the read option, as I think Madden (and NCAA towards the end) made it ridiculously easy to run. That said, with a guy like
    Utilizing your Qb's speed is part of the game and is sim. Just as in real life. Read options and designed rollouts are part of the game and it's perfectly fine to use them as long as it's not used excessively. The only thing that irritates me is running 20 yards back with the QB to avoid sacks. But if there is pressure and you see it coming you are well within your rights to use a guy like Manziel to escape and pick up some yards via pass or run. I think people need to take into account the outlier statistics with a mobile QB as a random scramble that turned into an enormous run makes the stats seem as an abuse of QB running.

18. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

I agree with this. What becomes the problem is deciphering actual pressure and when it's there. Your definition of pressure could be different in mine.

Say on 3rd and 5 I have a feeling you may be bringing some heat and I have a route I am looking to go to. It's covered. I panic and take off yet your in cover 3 only sending 3. When you have a QB like this and the first thing someone questions is the scramble possibilities I see issues coming in the future

19. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Well yes, if a guy only makes on read then takes off that isn't ok. But if he goes through his progressions, still nothing- what's wrong with taking off?
    This is why we are opening up discussion- where do you see potential issues?

20. Kevin Gomez

Kevin Gomez Walk On

The only thing I see potentially as a issue, is if there is a fluke play and a QB scrambles for a 80 yd run and people judge the stats as abusing the mobility of your QB.

21. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I couldn't imagine that happening - if a defender comes near me I'm going out of bounds or sliding.

22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

How do you guys feel about the rule on trades? We don't really want to see people trading a whole lot, so that's why Broth and I are overseeing it. Fair warning, it won't be easy to get all three trades through in a sesason-- the more trades you make the harder it will be to get them through.

The reason for this is trades really don't happen often in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I'm also curious how you guys feel about the read option. I've never used it, and want to see how you guys think it should be used (how often, any down and distance, etc.) No doubt it will be used by many here, so I think it is a good topic to bring up.

24. Luke4

Luke4 Walk On

Good question - Are there any NFL situations where the read-option wouldn't be used? Maybe obvious passing down like 3rd/4th and long. (I'm honestly not sure if teams use it in short-yardage situations.)

For me it's about repetition - it sucks having your opponent run a read option almost every single play. Some sort of rule to avoid that would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dustin

Dustin Walk On

Idk around the trade deadline it shoukd be different i believe. Thats when most teams at least feel out trades and make some happen