Gameplay Discussion

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Gameplay Discussion

Guys, we will use this thread to discuss any questions that arise regarding what is and is not going to be allowed in this dynasty. This will generally be a meritocracy, as we'd like the group to decide what everyone is comfortable with.

I'll start - some things I'm seeing in a few highlights here and there and what I'm hearing:
    • Be mindful of rolling/sprinting out your QB with no pressure. Rollouts should be limited to designed plays, and you should NOT sprint to perform the rollout. If the pocket breaks down and you need to run with your QB to escape, that is acceptable, but once you are running out of the pocket you should continue to run. You should not sprint out of the pocket to then pass the ball. The defensive AI has not historically been good at dealing with this.
    • We all know it is very easy to run outside this year, and that includes bouncing inside runs out. Try and keep in mind that most running plays from under center should be between the tackles. You should not have a 50-75% outside run ratio, it's not realistic at all. There are several reports that EA's first patch on the game made defensive players jump inside on running plays to gang tackle, however this made it too easy to get the corner. On inside runs, you should at least attempt to hit the hole, and should not immediately bust outside.
    • Blitzing/man coverage - We all also know that man coverage is really effective this year, and therefore blitzing is as well. Just remember to mix up your playcalling a bit.

Just to be clear, this isn't pointed at anyone, just general observations I'm seeing across OD's so far from highlights.

2. Dru50

One more thing, everyone needs to make sure to watch out for late option pitches. Whether intended or not if your guy throws the pitch after he has been hit you need to immediately run the ball out of bounds for a loss or no gain. Contrary to what EA reported, the late pitch is back as strong as ever.

3. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

If I start doing something I fully expect you to rip me, sound good Dru? No niceness, lemme have it.

The late pitch thing is a joke, it'll never be fixed, I will say that the fake pitch actually does put defenders in a bind now, nice.

Sorry about no highlights on my loss, I kept getting a highlight save error and after the third time said fuck it after a missed fucking EP loss.

4. Dru50

No worries man, and you know if there is an issue with you Perry will be on you like a dime store hooker.

Again, my points are based on highlights I've seen from various OD's, and I want us to have a forum to discuss anything that may result in disagreements. Hopefully you guys are able to be on mics during your games to avoid any issues after the fact.

5. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

as far as option pitches go, I rarely run the option but I have noticed that when I get ready to pitch and I hit the button the defender is no where near me but when the pitch actually happens I am being hit. Me and ryno actually discussed this when we played and he said it was perfectly fine and that hes not going to let people get away with saying thats considered a late pitch this year. I realize this is your league and not ryno's but figured i'd share his input. Ive also noticed this with people that run the option against me as well.

6. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Since auto sprint is on, how does that affect the first rule? A designed rollout, which OSU's playbook has, is pretty much an auto sprint to the sidelines.

7. Dru50

Pep - I've noticed the animation thing on option pitches as well, but it was an issue last year as well. We should discuss it and come to a consensus as a group what we think is fair.

Brian - I think it's likely not as much an issue on designed rollouts, and I will admit that I did not think about the auto-sprint feature.

8. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I will admit in my game against Twister last night there was a play where I rolled out to my right and hit my TE in the back of the endzone but I was not sprinting but looking at the replay it clearly looks like I was but I was just moving to my right so I guess the auto sprint explains it.

Ive seen some leagues say that if your rolling out its still ok to pass in between the numbers but once you get past the numbers you have to run or throw it away.

9. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Yeah, designed rollouts are no worries IMO.

We actually teach our QB's on the roll to get out and if you see green grass you take it.

10. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

here is the play I was talking about. I was rolling to my right as my TE to the corner was who I was looking for but he initially got clogged up and broke free late. As I was rolling I was just directing him with the Left stick and I finally saw him break free and I hit him. Like I said I saw on the replay him sprinting and didnt remember doing that myself. Anyways tell me if this is not an acceptable play.

[YOUTUBE]xtgS0UUBXtI[/YOUTUBE]

11. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

pepper there's nothing wrong with that at all. IMO.

12. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Pepper - play looks good to me

13. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah there is nothing wrong with that play. I think what Dru is referring to is running all the way to sideline or dropping way back in pocket. I'm guilty of the first one on a few plays this season, though I try to avoid doing it too often.

14. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I think dropping back into the pocket happens to everyone once in awhile, its instinct. I actually changed my recruiting scrambling QBs because of this.

I have no problem with the moving in the pocket to get a better throwing lane or a better angle, which I thought is what you did. If you had ran into an open field and gotten positive yards, that would not be sim. just my 2 cents.

15. Twister18

I don't run the options. They are just not very effective and I always got them knocked down for a fumble or picked off. I remember a game last season that Beazus ran 2 options that my players hit them and it pitched on the way down and he ran it out of bounds. Otherwise he had a wide open field to score. To me that is why I play tradition. Good point Pepper.

16. Twister18

Amen! If someone has a problem with something I am doing, pause the game and let me know or say something if we are mic'ed up (which I am getting better at using).