Gameplay issue #2 for this year - Defensive Playcalling

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I'm bringing this up based on some conversations from the party chat last night.

As noted in the rules:

Play Calling – Each person should be mix up their offensive and defensive formations and plays throughout the game. This doesn’t mean if you prefer man defense or want to structure your offense around the power-O running plays, you can’t do so. Just don’t run man cover 2 zone every play, and don’t run the same power-O play from the same formation 3-4 times in a row. Explore the playbook you’ve chosen and just be a bit diverse.

I know that zone defense is very effective this year or maybe you really like playing man press coverage or blitzing or you love one specific formation or whatever. However, that does not negate the need to mix up your defensive formations and playcalls during a game. Just as it is not acceptable to call 4 verts every play because it may be effective, nor is it acceptable to call a cover 3 defense every play or to call man cover 2 press coverage every play or call an all-out blitz every play.

Please make sure you are changing things up throughout the game. It will make your defense harder to predict and make the gameplay experience more enjoyable for everyone.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

2. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

Aye aye Chief!

3. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

4. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

now you're trying to steal my bit. Be original, Cal. :p

5. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I know I do this on Offense.

On defense I have about 3 or 4 plays for every situation that I stick to.

For example, on 3rd and long against a 4 or 5 WR formation I go to quarters man or possibly a 3-2-6 zone or a 3-2-6 man. Its possible I'll blitz from 3 - 2- 6 as well.

On 3rd and short I'll line up in 4-4 or 4-3 and probably run a 2 man cover or a cover 1. Maybe a blitz.

Those are just a couple examples. Is that varying it enough? I want to be in compliance.

6. Roogy

Roogy Walk On

Thanks for the tips when I play you. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

Chances are you dont need any tips to play me. I'm fairly weak in user games. Last season I had two wins, one against a vastly inferior WSU team. Gowazzucougs is definitely a better player than me, but MSU is just too good for them right now. The other win was against Arizona State, and that guy quit. I'm so bad that people quit when I beat them. hahaha

8. Roogy

Roogy Walk On

You and I will be a good match then. I'm always terrible in user games too.

9. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

That sounds fine.