Gameplay issue for this year - QB dropbacks

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

gowazzucougs
    Cheez
    Jayrah
    recchem2000
    Roogy
    Danthraxxx
    Corey Volting
    bucsfan047
    JFace907
    whygodwhy1111
    Colemanchu

Guys, something I want everyone to do their best to keep in mind for this year is how far back you drop-back when passing, specifically from shotgun formations. From our rules:

QB Dropbacks –Purposefully dropping too far back in the pocket to avoid pressure during regular passing plays is not allowed. Defensive AI doesn't take into account how far back in the pocket the QB is, allowing for wide open out routes and passes into the flats. This includes hitting a WR on said routes on screen plays.

A normal QB dropback would be considered to be no more than 7-10 yards at most from the initial line of scrimmage, in the case of an under center passing play. From the shotgun, dropbacks should be limited to 2-3 additional yards from the line of scrimmage, since the concept of the shotgun is that it is intended to remove the need for the QB to dropback on shorter routes and at most would only require 1-2 steps back for deeper routes to develop.

I've seen a bit too many instances in highlights or in games of QB's dropping back from shotgun 7-10 yards, which means you are throwing the ball from 12-15 yards behind the LOS. I understand that for screen passes you have to drop back farther due to the fact that the offensive linemen do not even touch the DL on the way to the QB, so an exagerated drop-back is acceptable on those types of plays. However, when throwing from the shotgun for normal pass plays you should not drop back more than a few steps (2-3 yards). A good rule of thumb is that if you are throwing from 10 yards or more behind the LOS you are dropping back too far.

Thanks guys.

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

(y) Understood

3. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

This takes the RB screen game completely out of the picture, since the rb takes 2 counts to set and get to his spot. Meanwhile with no chip on any d-linemen or blitzing guys, the qb has no chance to get the ball off if he's not backpedaling. I've been sacked repeatedly trying a normal dropback on a screen play. Maybe it'll be a bit better with the pass blocking raised a bit, but the blocking initially kills an RB screen at least if you're not getting away.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

LOL, 40 yards a catch. Oh wait, I got distracted, I wish I had time to drop back more than 10 yards.

5. Dru50

Jayrah - I said that dropping back slightly further was acceptable on screen passes for exactly the reasons you bring up.

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

(y) read & understood

7. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

Thanks for addressing this. I've had issues with 2 coaches dropping back ridiculously far. Won't name names, but one if them quit the Dynasty, haha.

8. Dru50

Jayrah

9. Jayrah

Ah, I must have misread it. Thanks Dru50

10. Dru50

No worries.

11. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Got it

12. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

After Midnight. Where Hooked On Phonics is encouraged, but not required :p

A big 10-4 on the issue, be tee dub

• Like Like x 1
  13. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Okay, I will work on this. I don't know if I am dropping back too far, but I will try to be more aware of my drop back

14. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

aye aye captain.

15. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

I am working on not touching the left stick when I drop back to pass. I suspect you might get better blocking, It would sure make sense in the game designers made it that way but you never know.

16. Jayrah

Why would that make a difference? Interesting idea.

17. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

could be something similar to blocking improving if you are not sprinting with your HB.

18. Jayrah

Hmmm. The not sprinting allows YOU THE USER to set up blocks better AND the rb reacts quicker when you make a move. Not sure if the blocking is ACTUALLY better.

But still, something to think about for sure. Anything to help my beef eaters.

19. Dru50

EA commented for NCAA 2011 that defensive players got off blocks faster if the user sprinted through the hole. I don't know if that holds for this years game though.