Gameplay Notes

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by I Peench, Sep 6, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Now that we've had a bit of time with the game, I've got a feel for some suspect things guys are doing. Without being too nit-picky, I'd like to hear out some thoughts before we open up.

1. Excessive use of press coverage. Yes, some corners' skillsets are catered to this. The issue with running it a lot, however, is the fact that there are only a number of routes that can realistically beat good press coverage. It gets messy when I have to throw 2 routes over and over again to beat someone constantly pressing. Use it, hell use it a good bit, but you have to know where to draw the line.
    2. Draws. Still overpowered. Use them situationally. Running a draw on 1st and 10 on the first series of the game isn't realistic whatsoever. Run them in passing situations.
    3. Along the same lines, play action passes should be used situationally. Now that they work, I've seen TSOers run it on 3rd and 9. Come on, man!
    4. Curl routes are still a crutch for a lot of guys, much like NCAA. I use them to combat a guy who fails to mix up coverages (running man almost exclusively), but there are several other ways to beat man coverage. MIX IT UP!
    I'd love to hear other guys out. These are just my top three pet peeves at this point. As always, if you mix it up, you won't hear me complaining too much.

2. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

[​IMG]

1. Definitely does not need to be used on every play.
    2. Agreed
    3. I saw that last cycle but so far I have not seen it by anyone I have played on this site but yea they should not be used on a 3rd and 9.
    4. Curls route are usually abused on 3rd downs because they are overpowered but mixing in one here and there is fine IMO.

3. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Pretty much dead on, on all of my concerns. Too often madden becomes a game of who is willing to push the envelope more. Who is willing to run a slant on 3rd and 5 or some of the other relatively easy completions. The problem though is there isn't an effective way to police it either.

On defense, coverage wise you only have a couple options I mean you're going to be 0-4 deep and either man or zone so I think people need to be careful when they are complaining that people are running too much of a certain kind of defense.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

The CPU does automatically press on certain plays. I know that Cover 2 Zone does, but I'm not sure of any other play they do it on.

5. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Im pretty sure the announcers give it away with their comments if you manually send your DB to press. So if you hear the same commentary over and over again, you probably are playing a cheeser that presses all game long. Trust me, I have had some online ranked games this week that was like a broken record.

I dont remember the exact verbage off hand, but there is a few different sayings they say when the press coverage is being used.

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Press calvin all you want but dont complain when he's in the endzone

7. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Oh yea it goes something like, "The DBs will not be giving an inch" or "They are about to go to war" something along those lines

8. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Taking dives or iso runs directly outside of the tackles taking advantage of the lateral movements of the RB as the defense gets sucked into the blocks.

I had a game I played verse the Jets in Tebow would take a QB run designed to go up the middle and take it outside right away and my D looked at a lost. Tebow ran for 235 yards against me that game. I had to take the rest of the day off from playing as I was so irrate, I needed to cool off.

9. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Are there guys in this group that will honestly play the way you guys are describing? God, I hope not.....

10. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

I think the handpicked group we will have will not play this way...

There will be times where people will have happy feet from being sacked all game and drop a little too far back

There will be times in which nothing seems to work, and people will resort to more slants, curls, and other easier to complete passes.

There will be times in which your run game will get stuffed play after play, and after getting your face knocked in, there will be times people will resort to have a few more draws plays than normal to get the running threat they need.

There will be times in which whatever zone call someone calls, it gets shredded up by a player that reads coverages well. They will go to more man to man as the game goes on and throw more press in than most people will like to see...

These are all inevitables. I think if these things are discussed ahead of time, then people will think twice about the perception of these tatics and make sure they do not resort to them in a crutch and know that all these things should be used in moderation

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  11. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Fair enough.

The thing about online leagues that I hate more than anything is when guys bitch after every game about their opponent did this, or their opponent did that.....thankfully listening to that complaining isn't my job in this league. Enjoy Shaun.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I Peench

These scenarios are inevitable in most leagues, especially one with 32 members (however good). The key is coming to a consensus and keeping the avenues of communication open, such that things can be handled appropriately if and when there is a minor issue. That was the intent of this thread, didn't mean to worry ya

13. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

I think my biggest pet peeve is when it is the biggest play of the game, and someone runs a sketchy play like those above. Almost as though they saved the play for when they needed it most.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I Peench

So glad you actually benefit from stepping up in the pocket this year

15. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

They definitely created a more SIM friendly game this year, and I think with that combined with the right group of guys that has been assembled, I have never been more excited for our league to start.

Can't believe I have to wait until week 10 to stick it to the Saints and capp34!

16. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

I haven't really played anyone who abuses press coverage so I cant really say its overpowered but it does help defend curl routes.

I dont think draws are overpowered at all with the new engine you almost have to hit it perfectly to have any success with it which is rare (in my games).

I agree play action should be used in realistic situations.

But as always if you mix up your play calling everything will be good.

17. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

antcap24

Dont worry he will be waiting for you!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

Please keep him in on 3rd downs. Id like to benefit from his pass coverage abilities:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Just playing Devil's advocate here, but I saw NO Saints (NFL) last year run shitloads of draws on the opening series. The Eagles use playaction on the first play of the game, they use it a lot period. I think forcing people into a box about how they calls plays is rediculous. In the NFL or in Madden you need to run your offense to take advantage of your personel. In Madden the Saints run a spread/vertical offense. The draw SHOULD be a common play for them.

As for press coverage it's easy to blow it up this year. I love guys who think press is going to win them games, because this year there is always a gap after the bump between the S and CB. Add in the new passing controls and you can kill bump coverage... or just audible to a draw.

20. Keller

If they are in man, there isn't. You're just burning Cover 2 is all.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Play action on 1st down is realistic. 3rd and 12 play action would not be lol

22. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I beg to differ. I've done it all day against friends. In fact it seems like the mechanics are broken. The Safety more times than not over persues and is always out of position. Granted I'll run curl routes if you don't bump me, so I think the defense tries to take away the curl only to have the streak route added to the mix. I see a lot of man coverage where the CB will hesitate 10 yards after the snap expecting a curl. Safeties will also come down a little and usully gets caught flat footed.

23. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I beg to differ on all those things being "inevitable". IMO there is zero reason to drop back further than realistic- idc if you have gotten sacked a bunch; keep some damn protection in or run the ball. Don't resort to slants and curls just because you are struggling passing. To say that people are inevitably going to resort to doing that makes me sincerely disappointed to hear that that is the case for TMFL. We're all better than that. There is a difference, however, to running curls or slants occasionally and song it because you can't complete other passes.

The fuck if that stuff is "inevitable".

24. Keller

If you're burning man 2 on the outside between the safety and the CB its because he is bumping and your WR is beating the bump.

25. I Peench

The conversation is healthy. Relax.