Gameplay Notes

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by RadarRider, Jan 2, 2013.

1. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Drifterbub
    Timpegoose
    Kasper
    @JFace907
    HackGolfer
    MartyWebb
    RynoAid
    AJ Hart MN
    Colemanchu
    Roggie
    sawemoff
    Danthraxxx
    hammerhead1010
    Shaun Mason
    MoonBBad
    Connor
    Jon MK
    Gravity
    CHUNKNESS
    nellycuz
    Cheez
    abolishthefed

Hey guys I wanted to create a thread where we could go over previous games/seasons played and discuss what has been working and adjustments to consider. Here are some of the things I have noticed over the last few days.

Pros
    • We have been putting the ball in the net. (Sounds stupid and lately we have had goal scoring contribution from more than 1-2 sources.
    • We are switching the ball more. I've been playing striker, allowing me to watch opponents move on the pitch...it is no shocker that people burn their sprint. By switching, not only do we create space, we potentially tire the other team out.
    • 4-2-3-1 has been working really well, compliments to the decision makers on that.
    • KEEP RIPPING SHOTS! the last few days, especially last night, we had guys ripping shots for all over the box. shooting causes the defense to lose shape, increasing our opportunities for volley scores and positioning advantages.
    Adjustments
    • Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. We have mics, lets use them for good :) . We are decent communicators and sometimes we will go 3-5 minutes without anyone saying anything. We have all played sports and not matter what sport it was you played, communication was key.
    • Passing back to move forward: We push the ball forward, and we do it quickly. Our issue is that we put ourselves into a corner with no escape or commonly hear "yeah, sorry I had no where to go." It is because we ALL feel the need to move forward. We need to start searching for space for the ball man. One place to be is behind the man looking to pass it off. Most people want to rush towards the ball, if we pass back we can create space in front of us, allowing for mids and att to find bigger seam space to pass. Passing back to move forward also allows for switching, which is a huge space creator.
    • Ball carrier you do not always have to move forward. Sitting in space is okay for the ball carrier, it gives others time to catch up or find space without feeling the need to sprint, which saves energy.
    • What is our philosophy. It is important that we are all on the same page, what is it that we want to do defensively, offensively and in transition.
    Well that is what I have, if anyone wants to PITCH-in do so.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

call me.... Rynaldo

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

All good stuff RadarRider . A bit of advice for you though, and you are not the only one guilty of this it's just I feel you are by far our best striker/target man so I want to give you this bit of advice; try to be a better passer when we have a "slow" attack going. Your great on getting the through balls from Drifter and doing your thing when you are out front of everyone, keep doing that! I just think when we work the ball to you in, for the lack of a better word from me, the "half court set" you could be a far better passer than you are. You get the ball in the middle of the field and often turn it over because you try to get through 2 or 3 people. Look to dump it to Moon or Drifter and they will find and give it back to you if you make a good break. I think you could be a very good passer in these situations if you tried.

Just something I have been meaning to say, and have finally been able to think about it and put it to words.

4. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Stickied. Good thread looking to hear what some of you have to say about this. I am definitely glad I hopped off when I did, my form started going to shit. Played way too long yesterday and I think FIFA fatigue was a big part of it.

The only point I guess I want to make is defense. I'm starting to hear arguments that people can't play defense because they don't know how, or some other BS arguments.

Listen folks, if you want to be a valuable contributor to the club, you need to be versatile and willing to move around. There are going to be folks that are better than you might be at a particular position whether you care to admit it or not (myself included). We each need to be able to move around for the good of the club.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MoonBBad

Agreed RadarRider, for whatever reason your guys' touch is horrible and loses a lot of balls. Sometimes you need to be able to hold the ball and allow drifter, myself, or the other winger get into position for a pass to spring you or someone else on the attack.

6. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

I know I just started playing with you guys last week but I just have a thought about what you said about defense. I played center back last night for 2 games (first time playing in back line) and it is different and somewhat difficult to get the hang of. A lot of times you don't have the ball but you need to be aware of where their strikers are and not be too far off of them (using the radar is key). For me it's not as fun as playing in the midfield or being a striker, but as the new guy, I figure I'll put my time in and play where ever we as a team need me to play. It would be nice to see others stepping up to play as a defender as well. We should all learn how to play each position. The excuse for not knowing how to play as a defender is rubbish. We have PLENTY of soccer brains and experience on the team to where we can coach you through a game if you really have no idea how to play D. It is a greater challenge to be a good defender because if the other team scores, it often is blamed on your back line.

Just my two cents, I've had a blast playing with you guys and look forward to enjoy many more games with TFC!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Not just soccer brains-- sports brains. If you (that is at everyone, not just you nelly) aren't comfortable at CB or defense, go play drop in games online and figure it out. Hell the offensive attacks you see in the drop ins are probably harder than those in our club games.

8. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Shaun Mason
    MoonBBad

I will take into consideration your critiques. I have been playing drop-in matches to improve other aspects of my player; It also allows me to mess around with the controls to better learn how to posses the ball. My notes had no intention to be direct towards any specific player, and I will be applying each note into my game play. I recognize that my turn overs have been high, and I apologizes. All I can really say is: I try with the best intentions. Ill admit: I track stats. I want to make sure that I produce for the team, not matter the position. I'll step back and play D, I do not know what I am doing entirely and I am willing to knock some heads. I do what I can...my passing accuracy has increased with my attempts. When I get into position to cross I think that I have demonstrated several times that I put the ball in the box and allow MoonBBad Shaun Mason Drifterbub to do the rest. If someone wants to chat-me-up about possession I would be willing to get schooled, because I've have been turning the ball over.

• Like Like x 1
  9. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Exactly. This is my biggest (not gripe) but just issue.

I've been playing clubs for two years at least and have never really had a chance to move up from the back line. I get leap frogged by guys who just bought the game, just started playing clubs, etc. because of the "I don't know how to play D" line. Granted it is tough, its a valuable position though, and everyone thats playing clubs should be able to play some D to be a valuable part of the club.

Just my .02.

Last couple of times I've played we've looked a lot better up top though.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i think I've figured out my guy is a better RM or LM than he is a CAM. He crosses well and is blazing fast... been setting guys up right and left lately, and getting some of my own. My guy is at 90 speed and 89 acceleration and i feel like he's usually the fastest guy on the field at this point.

I also play the ANY whenever Goose or Kasper arent' around

11. MoonBBad

Guys, in an effort to not clog up this thread, let's not use this as a platform to create awareness why your guy is more bad ass than other guy, or why you should be a certain position. We need to use it to discuss tactics at a whole not at an individual level.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think one of the obvious reasons we are scoring more goals is we are creating some kind of continuity by putting the same guys up top. Offensively we are much better when people start to be able to anticipate one another.

It's chemistry.:)

13. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I feel like we need to be more selfish in shooting situations but be willing to dump it of to get there. Seems like we often have it reversed. People pass up good shots all the time to make a extra pass that usually doesnt work. At the same time when we are on the attack people will hold on to the ball to often. I also notice we get a lot of open looks for shots at the top of the box. There is a lot of space in the middle of the field where our midfielders could be getting a lot of rips if we didnt take the ball up the side so much. I would like to see us try making more passes towards the top of the box as opposed to going for the cross all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Aside from muting my microphone, is there anything else I can do better?

I think it's important for everyone to realize is that your success is a function of the people around you. I can't create plays or make good passes when defensive mids dribble into my ass instead of drawing their midfielders out and finding another of our players. Strikers aren't going to be able to get the ball in the net without good service, side-mids can't get up the field unless a side back or center-mid plays them up the field.

The level we are playing at is increasing and it has a lot to do with everyone pushing each other to raise the bar. Most importantly, let's keep that going.

• Like Like x 3
  15. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Code:
    @fuzzyl0gic
    :(

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

I believe we all have this idea that our guy is good for this or that. Playing footy is all about positioning, feasting on an opportunity and exploiting the other team. We do a better job than most of hustling back on d and parking the bus. Some of us hold the ball for too long, myself included. Pro skill levels don't mean shit if they're not properly applied to the match. I noticed last night that we passed VERY well. We ran into problems when we started to force the ball to one side of the pitch. Remember that the game mechanics set up CPU defense to shift toward the ball, which is why I find the switch play to be most dangerous. A lot of human controlled players over commit past this, leaving the opposite side wide open. We need to make sure we hold shape (unless on the counter attack) but make sure to pass effectively and be smart with the ball. I'd rather not be a decision maker on who plays where, etc. I do know that some positions require different mindsets, etc. I'm not posting anything about my pro, it doesn't matter what hisstats are, I'm more concerned about fitting into our system and tactics more than anything else.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MoonBBad

Communication IMO. Sometimes (myself included) you go dark and are quiet. You know you're shit and the new guys, and the vets too need the coaching in game so we can make corrections.

18. MoonBBad

Let me first preface this by stating I understand this is a game, and we're all out there to have a good time, however, when we start going off on tangents, talking about stupid shit, making really bad impersonations about movies, overall just fucking off, we play like shit. It's been proven time and time again. Let's play footie when we're on there. It's really important because when you have 5-11 guys on the mic at the same time it can get VERY congested on the mic. And while I am sure there some out there that think it's hilarious what you are saying, there are others who are trying to say constructive things but can't because there is too much banter of off topic stuff going on.

Again, I'm all for having a good time, but let's also make sure we're dedicating the bulk of the chatter to our club so we can focus on the task at hand. My 0.02. If you think I'm being a Nazi about it, let me know.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Amen to this.

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Agreed.

I realize I am probably the worst one when it comes to talking, but when I have to tell people to shut up when we are trying to set our lineup prematch it's a little much.

21. MoonBBad

As we have been playing more, any other feedback from anyone else?

22. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

This is perfectly fine, and I know that I do tend to stir up conversation that doesn't pertain to the match lol. With that being said, I have thick skin, if I am being annoying tell me and I'll talk about the match. I also know that this isn't directly towards me, but I do talk quite a bit.

23. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

I think someone may have already brought this up...Sitting in space. I have been trying to pay more attention to sitting in space, allowing for more body passes. I think we still get a little too eager moving the ball forward and we end up forcing a through-ball.

• Like Like x 1
  24. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

I think we played well as a team last night. We had 8 then 9 then 11 guys playing when I was playing till about midnight. A couple things I've noticed that we are doing well and we could work on.....

1.) Great job of ball movement. I think when we are patient when we have the ball and move it around (switching the ball with one long pass or swinging it around through our back line), we build up a better attack. But the key is, once we have the ball or win the ball, we need to relax and get a couple of passes under our belt before we begin to attack (unless it's a counter or a quick through ball is there). I know I'm guilty of "freaking out" a little bit and just booting it, but once we have it just relax, and we did this several times last night and had some beautiful possesions that led to some great goals. It's looking better!

2.) Communication. For the first couple games I played last night, all the conversation was about the game and we were all focused and communicating VERY WELL. On the other hand, once the conversations get off of the game at hand, you'll notice we tend to panic more often, play with the ball too much, or just don't have the creative ideas because our mind is doing one thing and our voice is doing another.. Just like when my wife enters the man cave to chat , I can still talk with ease yes, but my play tends to suffer each time. Just something to always be aware of.

3.) Scoring/Playing with a lead. I don't think we lost any leads last night ( I may be wrong) , but it seems like when we score a goal or get a lead, everyone starts to get a little relaxed and the conversation tends to get off topic. There was one game last night where we were up by 1 goal in the 85th minute and we did an AWESOME job of holding the ball, COMMUNICATING, sending it to the corner and dancing or shielding it to kill the time. This is great! They do this in real life soccer all the time and there's no reason we can't in FIFA, because it WORKS!

Just one thing about scoring and I know it's not the easiest thing. But we have got to start making more of the easy opportunities. A few times last night, we missed some easy shots that could have got us another W or 2. Make sure we are trying to get everything on net, and picking out the right way to finish on a cross (header or volley; Shaun seems to have the volley down, just got unlucky a few times last night..). Some of the goals we did score were straight golden and I commend the strikers/middies for that.

Last note, I liked playing ANY last night. I liked having control of the back line when we didn't have 11 because I felt I understand the flow and could swing it around if need be and start the attack from the opposite side. When we were playing with 11 last night, I think the back line did a hell of a job being that it was 4 individuals playing...it's very difficult. If we could pick up the communication a little bit back there and get used to eachother...we could be a force to be reckoned with (Cheez played like a boss last night, had multiple man of match games).
    GO TFC!

• Like Like x 2
  25. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Last night was a good night I thought. Early on we did a GREAT job I felt of being patient, playing it back, and switching fields when we needed too (great job playing ANY Nelly). Communication was good. And while we went a few games without some goals, we were still possessing the ball and getting good chances for the most part. Then we exploded for that 2 or 4 goal game I believe.