Gameplay question...

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Oct 15, 2009.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Gameplay question...

I want to make sure what Im doing is ok with the league, if not I won't do it.

My starter is Terrance Morris and he is a running QB that can throw, albeit not well, but he can.

I have a backup Chrissman that can throw it pretty well, but doesn't fit the offense Im running.

Morris plays approximately 80-85% of the snaps if the game is close. In some 3rd down situations and almost exclusively in shotgun situations, I bring in Chrissman to be the thrower. Pretty similiar to the Leak/Tebow use, or now Robinson/Forcier.

Now, if this is a problem I won't do it. I figure since my starter is the runner, and the backup is a passer, the defense will be prepared for a running QB, and won't be at a disadvantage if I just bring the passer in, where the opposite isn't always true.

I looked over the rules and I didn't see any specific areas that addressed it, but I just wanted to be sure.

Also, when is the game a blowout? In my first game it was 35-3 at the half and I brought in the 2nd teamers, including my 2nd string running QB, and not my 2nd string overall QB (I wanted to keep running my offense which requires a running QB), is that too early to bring in the 2nd team? I didn't think so, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks

2. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

I know we talked about the 1st scenario last year, and that was a no. We agreed that you couldn't gameplan, or tell which QB was in the game. The other situation, i have got no problem with backups coming in early. I know i brought in the 2nd string against Tulsa after the 1st drive in the 3rd. Its always good to get them playing time, and see if you cant get some in season progression anyways.

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Well, Leak and Tebow weren't on the field at the same time and rarely came in on the same drives. maybe for a few plays at a time. The Robinson/Forcier situation at michigan is typically a wildcat type of situation since Robinson is usually on the field doing something else. These are also situations where Tebow and Robinson are too good of athletes to not have on the field, it's not necessarily the inability of your first string guy.

I think you should limit it to groups of plays at a time, for sure. Not just running situations and passing situations. Remember that the defense can't tell which QB you have in until you actually line up to play, unlike real life.

What does everyone else think?

4. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i dont think it is a problem at all personally.... if look at the QB when he is walkin up to the line... you can always QB spy and adjust that way... the defense can adjust to the offense... i dont think you should have to limit your playcallin.... while the defense is kinda at a disadvantage he openly stated he is only doin this when he is in passing situations..... which might actually hurt his offense more than helps it....as if he gets pressure he is stuck with a pocket passer.... if it was opposite my thought swoudl be differnt

5. OMlawdog

Tebow came in basically on any short yardage situation and most goal lines, but I was just using them as an example.

I would agree that if I have a passing QB and then I put the running QB in the game, its possible that they other guy wouldn't have time to notice, and more importantly wouldn't know what to call defensively.

I fully understand the thought process of not being properly prepared for a running QB, but that is why he is the starter, and switching to a thrower really doesn't create any mismatches or scheme problems, now maybe there is some that I don't know about, but off the top of my head I can't think of any.

6. JrRawlins

There really are drawbacks to starting a running QB and switching to a throwing QB... either way you are focused on a mobile QB but the pocket passer is much likely to scramble or even throw on the run for that matter.....

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I think this should be a no b/c I never know when you would bring him in and I already called a defense after realizing you now have a running in there now. So now I have to audible and hope you dont snap it before my guys are set or hope my DT is not now playing MLB......too hard to defend IMO. If you are going to start him for the whole fourth quarter you need to tell you opponent.

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think it works both ways. If you come in to stop a running QB, maybe you play a little closer to the line or something. Depends on what you are doing.

What about a situation that is 3 and 5? Run or pass, it's up to the coach. You can keep your runner in and option it or pass with your passer. If I know that you have a QB that might run it, I'm going to try and set my defense up to stop it. Is that defense going to be effective at stopping a passing play? Probably not.

I'm not saying I don't think you should do it, though. I'm just saying that you should probably be real carefuly with just plugging and playing QBs. For the defense, it shouldn't be guesswork on who you are putting in. They should know ahead of time of what to deal with or it gives you an advantage.

9. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Personally im not a fan of rotating QB's on a play to play basis... now if your down in the 4th and want to bring in the thrower for extended amount of time thats totally cool.... but making the defense guess as to which QB is going to be in the game on a play to play scenario is a bit much IMO

10. JrRawlins

huh? Im confused... so he cant use his passing QB on passing downs..... thats alittle too restrictive isnt it.... He is starting a running QB....he runs most of his sets with the running QB, he openly stated that in Shotgun formations he will sometimes play his passing QB, if he has a passing QB that is not mobile he is hurting his on offense if the play breaks down he cant get out of the pocket, he is using the QB only in the shotgun formations....

thats almost like saying you can have a scatback with blazing speed who you like to run outside start your games but you bring in your power back in your jumbo sets and that shouldnt be allowed because the defense cant see what backs your bringing in........

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think its a little different. HBs are HBs and can run out of the same formation at any time.

Like my scenario earlier on the plays that aren't obvious passing downs. What does a defense do then? I think you start treading in pretty murky water.

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Also Jr, that would force the defense to wait until the offense picks their play to choose theirs. I know that I don't always do this. Also, the personnel that is shown at that point could be misleading.

13. JrRawlins

how can the personel shown be misleading if there is only one QB on the field...? maybe i am the only person who scouts the teams they are playing ahead of time, but I come into games fully aware of who i am playing and what their tendencies are.. if they have a backup QB with speed, i usually know that, while i might not know when he is gonna run, i am only gonna get burn once by it.... the game is about strategy and adjusting to your opponent, i feel like we are taking away one of his weapons but limiting the personnel he can use.....

I always wait until the offense picks their play so i can see the formation and choose my defense based off the formation shown and the knowledge i already have about my oppponents offense........

14. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

So what if he chose to run out of the shotgun? would that be OK? I think it brings up too man variables to do this in the game. I do think that It could be used like at the end of a half/game while running your 2 minute offense, my 2 cents.

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

It is hard enough to stop people in NCAA now we have to guess what QB is in there every down....and we finally realize who is in there we have like 3 seconds to adjust. Ill vote NO!

Do i even have a say? lol

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I am talking about it showing, say 2 WR 2 TE and 1 RB, and you thinking that i as an under center option play, but then he comes out in shotgun and you have your run-stopping crew on the field. OR, you think that is a shotgun set and you come out expecting to stop the pass with a nickel package and he is under center ready to run the option. In both cases you are pretty well screwed.

Come on man. :D

17. Flo308

Flo308 "Ocean Front Property"

It could be a guessing game, but honestly if a QB is changing then maybe you can pause the game or something like that. I know playing online you play a lot people that do that and it really is not that hard to adjust after a quarter or two. So I am ok with whatever the league agrees on.

18. OMlawdog

what about if I can't bring the passer unless there are three wr in the game. That way there will never be any confusion. I certainly don't want to do it if people think I'm gaining an unfair advantage.

19. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

It honestly doesn't sound like the biggest deal. How about you figure it out on a game-by-game basis with your opponent? With the pausing, that could be tough since I think you only get 5 a game (could be way wrong).

20. JrRawlins

Huh? isnt that the benefit of having a running QB? again, for the 3rd time... he is playing his running QB most of the time.. for him to be changing to a regular QB in for shotgun plays would put him at a disadvantage..NOT YOU...because he is essentially taking away his option to run..... Could the info change the defense you call sure, but on that down and distance his running QB could run or throw correct?..... if he only played his running QB dont you have to worry about if he comes in a shotgun formation whether he is gonna run?

again, if he was playing the Passing QB most of the time and switching to the running QB to be diffcult that would be different....... but he is not, he is using a running QB 80 percent of the time.... him switching to a passing QB affects you how? because he cant run with his QB now? He is still throwing with his running QB, it would be different if he was only running with him, but he is not, he is doing both with his starter (the running QB), his backup (passing QB) is only coming in certain situations......... for people to decide that he cant use his QB's in certain situations is wrong in my view...... if you select a defense that is geared towards stopping the option on 3rd down and he passes how is that cheesy? because you selected the wrong defense?
    (y)

21. JrRawlins

This is a joke right? if he shows up in a 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB with a running or passing QB and comes out in a shotgun set and you selected the wrong defense how is that the offense's fault? You selected your defense based on what, the formation called and the down and distance......

about letting the offense select their play, its true.... how can you call a defense thats gonna work without knowing what formation the offense is in?

22. OMlawdog

I'm not trying to cause any problems, and I certainly don't want their to be any issues.

If anyone I play thinks what I'm doing is unfair, I will stop immediately.

23. jfosh

jfosh Super

Ok so if you have a running QB and he starts takes most of the snaps its ok to use your passing QB on certain downs and distance. I think thats what is being said. Now, what if its the other way around and I start a passing QB and want to throw in my running QB for certain downs and distances, is that ok also?

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    JR, he isn't putting himself at a disadvantage. He's bringing in a better passer in passing situations, lol. A disadvantage would be to keep the same QB, IMO. All QBs can scramble in this game, regardless of speed.

It doesn't really matter to me. If you wanted to bring him in, I would only do it on obvious passing downs like 3rd and 6+ or when you are trying to get down field. I think it's one of the inconveniences of running a fleXbox One offense, you have to have a good runner and you try to avoid clear passing situations by hanging on to the ball and not tacking losses/penalties.

But I would limit the number of switches you pull on a drive (not including timeouts), just so it isn't a coin flip of who is going to come in/out.

25. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

I guess I'm cool with it also, but this could throw a monkey wrench into recruiting. I mean you could just go out and recruit the fastest QB you could get and the best throwing QB you could get and just play them at the right times?