Gameplay Questions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BDSDIGITAL, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I gotta get something off my chest here:

Although I'm really impressed with guys winning 70-0 every week this has been way way way too easy so far. Arkansas and Iowa weren't anywhere in the neighborhood of competitive against me. The only reason those games weren't 70-0 is I have a major hard on for my nba2k11 association right now and finished those games as fast as humanly possible due to the non competitive nature of the games. Albeit Arkansas was rated like a B, and Iowa is a C+. Has anyone played a cpu game vs. a comparable team yet? If so, what was the final score? The only score I've seen so far that looked competitive was Max's opener vs. UNC. Have there been any other competitive games?

The games in GOB have been on AA default and have been very competitive and very realistic. Is it possible that it is not translating to C2C because we are using older rosters? Or maybe since we started this file way before any of the tuning updates that it's not reacting the same?

I just wanted to throw a couple of talking points out there to see what everyone else thought.

p.s. Please don't reply here with any copies of Heisman sliders to try out. You know who you are. ;)

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

The 3 CPU opponents I've faced have been no better than a B- overall and I think two of them were C+ or lower, whereas my team is an A- overall. The talent difference has been very noticable.

I think the issue is partially that you guys started with the default rosters, on which the good teams were often stacked with young talent. The rosters that came out later (like romancaesars that we used in GOB) are more toned down and often more balanced between the top 10 teams and the next tier down.

The other issue is that the nature of the C2C setup, where you guys essentially have the top 10-12 teams in overall talent and recruiting ability, leads to pretty much all the top recruits ending up on user teams. Even if you put in restrictions on 5 and 4 stars, you'd still have an issue because users can target the guys that will be good (since you can see the ratings for each recruit from the bat). The CPU may get 10-20% of the guys that users go after, but that isn't enough to keep their rosters competitive. Let's say if you used the limits from last year (each user can't get more than 4 :5stars: and 10 :4stars: recruits in a year), that would mean that if each user got their max that 48 :5stars: and 120 :4stars: would be signed by user teams.

In this kind of set-up I don't see the CPU ever being competitive 3-4 years in. Take a look at the SEC, you know Brave and Perry have gotten pretty much the pick of the litter for southeast recruits, and the ones they didn't get were taken by OSU, ND, Oregon, Michigan, etc, etc. What does that leave for the CPU teams like UGA, LSU, Tenn, etc? Not much.

I think this may get shifted a bit when all the user teams have nothing but recruited players, but not by much.

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

[​IMG]

4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

The talent level of CPU level teams always falls off, no matter what roster file you use when everyone has top tier teams. On the original roster file that you guys used, like dru said, the top teams are stocked with great young talent. In the newer roster files teams like south carolina, mich st and other lower teams are equally stocked with young talent and some of the top teams like texas, ND, Penn st, ect, don't have as much depth as they have in the original file.

I just got done playing northwestern and they didn't put up much of a fight. In other leagues I, and others, have had a hard time against the no huddle, but it was no contest.

5. Dru50

Also, I'm kind of with Cole on the whole CPU thing. Until EA corrects the playcalling logic for the CPU on both sides of the ball, the CPU can't be consistently competitive without being cheap to the extreme (via jacking up sliders to allow 70 OVR HB's to run like they are Barry Sanders or allowing bad D-lineman to blow through your OL like they aren't even there). Let's face it, the CPU is dumb as shit and everyone knows it.

For example, in my game with Miss St last night, the CPU got the ball down 28-0 with 1 minute to play in the half. With the ball at it's own 18 yard line, it came out and tried to run clock. One problem, it ran no huddle also and 3 running plays for 3 yards later, and it's 4th down and the CPU had run a grand total of 25 seconds off the clock. I just shake my head at how they can't figure out how to get the CPU to call plays that make sense based on down/distance/score/clock.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

i dont have my first cpu game until week 6 and i hope i route their ass.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah the CPU play calling is just dumb, as are their tendancies. Dru stated yesterday that the CPU called a QB draw but then slid immediately behind the line of scrimmage. No sliders can fix that mistake, that is just bad programming. Another problem is not just talent, it is recruiting talent to fit the scheme. This was supposed to be addressed this year but there are still spread running teams with pocket passing quarterbacks. I have games where I get 20+ tackles for loss because they try running an option with a 55 speed QB. Once again not a slider issue, this is another programming mistake by EA.

8. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I'm not the best player in the world but am decent and I got beat twice by the CPU last season in very competitive games and there were lots of close scores with almost all of us vs. the computer. This year, with the new sliders, absolute destructions and I can't imagine the CPU giving me a close game based on how easy my first game was vs. the CPU. I don't want us to keep flip-flopping between sliders but I don't think any of us will lose a game to the CPU on these and 95% of them will be snoozers.

9. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

to be honest I find the complaints about sliders a little comical. It is going to be hard to please everyone.

10. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Our OD layout doesn't necessarily help. I've already considered the possibilities of what we'll do for next years game. The obvious solutution is more UvsU games. In order to do that we're gonna half to cut down on the conferences (In my opinion to 3).

As far as what we currently do, I'm not sure. Recruiting restrictions could be an option or Heisman recruiting. Adjusting sliders is something that is still out of the question for me. Mainly because I don't wanna have to do it every year which is what we WILL have to do after everyone gets adjusted.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

You won't be laughing if we up the sliders and the cpu tries to run the score up in the 1st half on you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Oh i have had it happen to me, my rmg league i played usc and had a shoot out with them and the score was something like 54-49. one of the best games i have played. ended up being a dog fight that cost me savage, sanu, and my #1 CB for 2 of my 3 user games.

13. Papa Perry

Who were you using?

14. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I think a 3 conference setup will be best for next year's game, simply for more user vs user games in conference. It is impossible to schedule more than 4 user games with only 2 teams in the Pac 10.

As for recruiting, I'd prefer restrictions over Heisman. I'd rather not have all recruits committed to some school by week 8. From what I have seen Heisman recruiting means every top 150 and nearly every 4-star or above is locked up by that time.

15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

rutgers, year 3

16. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

To be honest, this season has been a little bit on the boring side. the sliders, advancement, and flow of the league are contributors to this. It maybe that the other leagues I am in are moving along FAST and it is clouding my view of whats going on here.

17. Dru50

I know this has been brought up before, but in Good Ole Boys, playing on default AA sliders with pretty much the same group as in here, there have been 4 losses to the CPU by users:

Year 1 - Alabama (perry) lost to Arkansas, USC (basis) lost to Arizona, Georgia (Twist) lost to a CPU opponent in a bowl game (can't recall which team)
    Year 2 - LSU (BDS) lost to Penn St

In addition to that, there have been several close calls - Cole has two 1 point victories over the CPU with Florida, and I've had 3 games that were 1 score wins vs the CPU with UCLA.

To those that think that default AA is always a cakewalk, take that in your pipe and smoke it.

The issues in here with the CPU blowouts is not a slider issue. It's a talent and CPU playcalling issue. Sliders will only make the game virtually unplayable. Go look at the slider discussion threads in some other dynasties as evidence. Other OD's with jacked up AA or Heisman sliders have people bitching about how screwed up the gameplay feels and yet still most of the games are wins by users to the tune of 20-30+ points.

18. Papa Perry

Well I apologize that we don't live up to your standards. I figured you were fully aware that we have gone through a full rebuilding process. Perhaps we could help direct you towards a league that advances every 24 hours or one that likes to fuck with sliders every week so the score between Texas and the University of Bum-Fucked Egypt is 56-49.

Bottom line, we are moving faster than we were previously and I'll take big-time blowouts over scores that total 100+ any day. I'm not gonna have a guy with the skill set of a subpar offensive lineman break 18 tackles a game on me just to keep the CPU competitve.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Have yet to play CPU yet, but I dont think we need to change sliders. AA Default + a little restraint should be fine. Maybe institute a scoring cap

20. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Im done then. It was fun for the first 2 weeks that I was in here, but has been unpleasant ever since. You guys obviously have your group that you all enjoy playing together which is great, but I just feel that I don't fit in here anymore.

Someone needs to step up and take that "Commissioner" position, until that happens this will be a vicious cycle.

21. Dru50

Nautica, I'm not sure if you are referring to T3 as being one of the leagues that is moving faster, but you realize that T3 has the same default AA sliders as what Perry has here, right?

I've been following the slider discussion in the Experience pretty closely since I left (as they just implemented Heisman sliders this year), and to be honest I see nothing in those discussions that makes me think Heisman (either default or adjusted) is any better than what we have here. They are seeing ridiculous gameplay by CPU QB's (such as a C+ rated CPU offense with an 80 OVR QB throwing 34/35 for 400+ yards on an A rated defense), most of the users can't run the ball at all and everyone is forced to pass because it's the only thing that works. That's just awesome if you ask me.

To be honest, I'm so sick of slider discussions I can't even describe it. If anyone in here doesn't like the default AA sliders that Perry and I believe 9 others support, then go join a dynasty that uses Heisman or whatever other slider set you do like. If anyone doesn't like the pace of the OD, then find one that goes faster. If anyone doesn't think there is enough content, add some yourself or go find another OD that you think adds more. There are plenty of OD's out there on this site, and if the ones that Perry chose aren't your cup of tea, find one that is. Everyone will be better off in the long run.

22. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

dru, to me its not so much the sliders. its the combination of everything that has gone on since I have joined.

23. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

To be totally honest, I'm at a point where I'd rather just play NBA 2K11 with my spare time than play with the slider set we were using. I wouldn't be in this league right now if we had stuck with them. I also wouldn't be interested in playing this game with those heisman sliders that Nautica was trying to pimp.

I think Max is right. I think a more strict scoring cap and some user restraint would make it feel a little better. Is it really necessary to max out 70-0? Why isn't 45-0 good enough?

24. Dru50

I live by the following - WWBBD?

Whoever can figure it out wins a prize.

25. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

yea. put on chew clock.