Gameplay reminder

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Gameplay reminder

Has anyone looked at the Thorpe award? It's even worse than last year.

Remember to mix up your play calling on defense and who you control. If your FS leads your team in Tackles and you only give up less than 350 yards a season on the ground, something isn't adding up. Historically, teams with horrible defenses have safeties who lead the team in tackles because guys get to the second and third level before being hit.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

It means they are manually controlling their SS or FS and bull rushing the line on run situations.....(n)

3. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Most safety jockey's grab 2-4 picks a game in the process.

4. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

yeah i just control the MLB. WIth safety i get burned way too much.

5. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

i control my FS... and he might even lead my team in tackles... but thats because most of my defense sucks balls.... and i gave up waaay more then 350 yards rushing this year..... i dont control anyone else on defense.... never have to be honest..... and i call about 90 percent of my defensive playbook.... i try everything on D.... i gotta keep the offense guessing...

6. theSANDMAN215

i have no idea your FS stats or even if your FS is up for an award, but I can vouch for you that you play straight on defense.

7. JrRawlins

if he is up for the thorpe award its sheerly for tackles... he only has two or three picks on the year and maybe a sack or two.... i cant speak for others, but i dont bull rush on run downs because my FS isnt quick enough to come forward and get back to his assignments on playactions, (been fried this year on those, ask BBJ) (n)

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I am not accusing anyone or throwing anyone under the bus, but we will be examining all these things at the end of the year.

9. JrRawlins

what is there to examine...? i am smply curious at this point.... is someone dominating with their FS?

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Have you looked at the Thorpe awards? Everyone is dominating with their Safties.

My only point is that if your safety is your leading tackler, your defense better be giving up lots of points and yards. I don't know who my leading tackler is on my team, it could be my FS or LOLB. But in either case, it would make sense becuase my D is probably well below average to horrible. Teams always pass a lot against me and my Safties are usually making shoe-string tackles to stop a TD. I rarely force turnovers (maybe four INTs total?).

For this situation I think we should look at team defense statistics and who is making tackles, TFL, sacks, and INTs. If it's the same player doing all of those things and his name isn't Taylor Mays, then I'm going to have to ask that person to knock it off and switch it up.

11. JrRawlins

if someone is home can do this that would be great... i am simply curious to know at this point.....

i know my FS Cook is near the top of my team in tackles.... but i dont get many sacks either.... we got alot of picks but they are mostly from my corners.... my sacks are from my OLB's and DE's... i think my nickel corner might have one or two....

Drifter, i am not criticizing or bashing your statements in anyway... I am merely defending my position in this matter, as most here say i am one of the better FS players in the dynasty and thats the only position I play, i dont want anyone thinking i am chessing or doing sneaky shit to get by...

12. theSANDMAN215

yea im not sure where my safety is on my team in tackles, but i played as FS the first few games, and because I kept getting burned so much I started playing back to MLB. Still I get passed on very easily, just ask BBJ and JR, they owned my secondary.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    No, I hear you JR. And like I said, I'm not accussing anyone, I just want everyone to look into it and let's find something that works for everyone.

For example of what I'm talking about, my freshmen year at A&M we had a FS named Jaxson Appel and he led the team in every category. Mainly because he was the last line of defense on a squad that was statistically in the bottom 10 of the FBS. So he was forced to make all the stops.

14. JrRawlins

i can understand where you are coming from... if someone is leading their team in tackles, sacks and INTS from the safety position and their defense is top 10 in the nation... thats a problem....

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

What about if your FS or SS leads the team in tackles, ints and you hold teams to under 100 yds rushing.......but you never control them?

Also if you are getting burned by the pass constantly??

16. JrRawlins

i think that is a different situation that drifter is talking about... in that case, you are clearly picking your poison by stuffing the run and giving up the pass, which i think is acceptable (stupid) but acceptable.... i think drifter is talking about a top 10 defense with their FS leading the way in all the categories, which is simply unrealistic....

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

ahhh, ok.

I am that guy. The computer and user teams constantly burn me in the secondary....I patrol the middle of the field with LBs. I shut down the run with passing defenses but the still get torched. I am VA Tech with a good defense....not sure. Maybe I shouldnt be playing 3-4 defense........but i am getting burned in nicker and dime.

18. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

This is what I do, and stupid is how it has been playing out. Oregon St killed me over the middle all day long. I know my FS leads my team in tackles, and i prolly control him, 65-75% of the time. Still getting used to the game and what works this year, Im sure everything will balance out.

19. JrRawlins

I agree, i think things will balance themselves out as well....last year, i think drifter or myself won the Thorpe award 4 or 5 years in a row.... again, i dont think we can make choices for people on defense, as long as the defense isnt deemed unfair by other users or said player isnt totally dismantling the CPU..... as long as we continue to tweak the sliders i am sure things will work themselves out....

20. theSANDMAN215

same here. i get burned constantly with Virginia Tech. I use the MLB to try to shut down the middle of the field, stuff the run, and blitz the QB.

21. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Do you use 3-4?? I do and put the senior Grimm at 2nd MLB. He has some speed so I usually grab him but the computer just kills me with the pass. I think i gave up 425 yards last night to NC State. Other human teams are shutting them down......can they be calling plays that are that much more effective that mine.....:shakeshead:

22. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

I'm home & I'll look at every1 leading tackler, sacks & INT player & post in a seperate thread.

23. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Here are the stats for the top 10 for the Thorpe....

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9
    Name Position School Tkls TFL Sacks INT TD FF
    Stephan Virgil CB Virginia Tech 42 4 1 9 3 0
    Kam Chancellor FS Virginia Tech 77 12 0 1 0 1
    Taylor Mays FS USC 60 3 0 3 0 6
    Aaron Ware FS UCLA 70 14 3 3 0 0
    Chris Cook FS Virginia 77 7 1 2 1 1
    TJ Ward FS Oregon 92 20 1 0 0 2
    Joe Haden CB Florida 46 0 0 6 2 0
    Lowell Rose CB UCLA 50 7 5 3 0 0
    Marvin Johnson SS Oregon 72 4 1 1 0 1
    Sam Proctor SS Oklahoma 44 2 0 4 3 2

24. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

I play as the FS pretty much exclusively, probably switch to DE or MLB about 10-15% of the time max. I'm not very good in pass coverage as I have never had a guy that wasn't a CB have over 8 picks, either this year or in previous years.

I know this year my FS has maybe 3 or 4 picks. I do bring him up to the line a ton because my front seven isn't strong and I figure I will give up the big play but hopefully cause problems and cause a few picks. I did that against Cal and it worked well.

I didn't know it was a problem. If you have a mediocre defense and are playing a team with a good offense, I don't see a problem with trying to shut down the run and force the team to pass, if possible. I didn't know we were supposed to alternate on defense.

25. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

as Madden approaches the more and more I dislike Khaalis........Brandon Jacobs better have around 1500 yds rushing otherwise I will strip those Giants from your bleeding hands!!