Gameplay

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Gameplay

Hey guys,

IRod and I played a half, 12 min qtrs with accel clock. The game was nice, no lag, plays well. He led 17-7. Game opened with a strong TD run by Ricky Williams breaking several tackles on the edge. I fumbled on the next drive and IRod scooped it for a score. I got a TD on a long drive capped by an 18 yard screen pass TD.

It is tough playing defense (at least that's how it feels). Run blocking sets up nicely. Pocket forms for passing. There is a different feel to the star players. Penny was great on short passes, Ginn is fast as hell, Ronnie Brown is tough. On my end, the rook QB plays like a rook. Some overthrows, misfires, it's nice to see some inaccuracy in a QB. Winslow is pretty good, as is Derrick Ward.

Setting up and getting into the game is pretty easy on the PS3. We can also do live chat, etc. I'll update this a bit more as we play.

Anyone have any questions, anything I can answer?

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

mags, you mind writing up a quick little review for the front page of the site? No biggie if your slammed for time... anything would be cool, just an impressions post or whatever.

3. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

I agree Mags, the o-line holds up well and penny threw great despite his 70 acc. You have to get a feel for the defensive line and which I prefer to use and create pressure just need to get better to get past the o-line. LB's don't get the free pass like they use to so those who use them are in for a tough time getting in the backfield. Not sure if u notice but timing is everything either on passing or running u need to let the play develep and u can move the ball.I continued to play the half and like u stated the cpu comes back hard, took the lead with .45 left but managed to kick a figgie as time expired.

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

what are the major differences between the demo and the actual game?

5. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

Yes nate, u have more control since ur not rushed..lol

6. Mags

I thought the game played better, only b/c you aren't 'rushing' to get plays off, worrying about time.

There's a learning curve to get the buttons/hotroutes/audibles down, but that will come in due time. Mostly every option we had is in this game, and some of it is a bit nicer (such as substitutions).

The injury notification and decision stuff is very nice. If a player goes out, you get notified in a play or two what they had. You get a warning telling you the risk of them being reinjured, and an option to put their backup in for good. so, if your RB goes out with a twisted ankle, you may put him back in... but chances are he may break it next time and then you are in a world of hurt. Sub packages on the fly are done a bit better too IMO.

The presentation is drastically improved. I still turn the commentary off, but the atmosphere, cutscenes and whatnot are really nice.

I'll post more once I play a bit more online. I'll say this... You REALLY can tell the difference in the players with the new ratings system. Some guys can throw deep, some cant. Some are really good throwing on the run, some will throw ducks. QBs can get hit as they throw. I've seen some really cool animations with the PRO-TAK system, guys pushing the pile one way or another. I've tried to leap a defender only to have a safety smash me in the air, causing my WR to flip and fumble. There are LATE HIT OUT OF BOUNDS penalties! Very cool stuff...

7. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

can you still total control run block?

8. Mags

As for it being in this version, Not sure TBH. We never used that b/c our rules state you have to control the ball-carrier at all times.

I believe that offensive line shifting/audibles are in though.

9. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

right on. its something i used in years past, but its not on college either so its no biggie.

10. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

Question on the Live Chat:

Obviously this is only if you WANT to, and you don't Have to chat during the game, but is that all done with the Bluetooth headset?

Also, can either Mags or Irod walk us through what's involved in the "Set Up" before the game. Take me from "Let's play Monday night at 9" to kickoff. Just curious about that, because I took a keyboard and ICQ for granted.

11. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Yes you can, its controlled the same way as a Motion, So for the purposes of conversation Default 360 controller (Not sure what it is in PS3) "B" lets you cycle through your players to the blocker you want, then you press "RB" not "RT" and your selected blocker is identified by a secondary control circle snap theb all and block away. You can run routes the same way as I understand it. although I havent tested route running. But Blocking I can confirm.

12. Mags

Won't know until the OF sites are up, but setting up head-to-head was very easy.

13. gt86

gt86 Walk On

few things I couldn't figure out how to do in the demo was motion and stiff arm

14. stealth

stealth Walk On

how about hitstick,highlight stick and commit are they still in the game and if so is the highlight stick still as effective as it was in 08?

15. Mags

Stiff arm is X I believe...

Motion - I believe you press/hold circle, and then move left or right to highlight the player you want to motion. After that, let go of the button and press left/right to send the guy in motion. I'll look again tonight, but it's in there.

As for Stealth's ?s

- Hitstick is now Hitstick 2.0 (you can go high and low like the PC). Not nearly as effective as the PC version, possibly more risky from what I've seen. Also, you can go low and trip a player up (they fall over you). If a guy is in a pile and you give near his feet, they will fall over you. Nice touch.

Highlight stick = the same thing - You can truck, juke, and back juke, you can also steer a bit once you get into a tackle (steer = try to break out by moving to open area, or push the pile forward if you have a strong back). The juke is more of a wiggle, useful, but not too overblown, at least not with my RB anyway. You also use the HS for DL moves to fight in the trenches, which is fun.

Commit - From what I understand, there is a pre-play selection to do it, but not once the play is snapped (not like the PC version).

16. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

Stealth, everything but commit is in this version and GT u have to highlight the motion guy witth O

17. gt86

gt86 Walk On

so you have to cycle throw the players with a button like you do on defense istead of the d-pad like we did on the Pc.

As for juking is there still two different jukes like we had on the Pc, where you had a quick slide juke with the shoulder buttons and the nig juke or even double juke with the right analog stick?

I also couldn't figure out how to commit pre or post snap on defense in the demo or use offensive line slide protection that we had on the Pc. Where you could have the oline block left, right, spread or pinch and decide this pre snap. Only thing I seen on the demo was aggresive and some other things for the oline in the demo.

18. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

GT, Yes we can cycle the players using the O before the snao, you can juke high or low and depending on the elusiveness of the runner, you can also pre set the O-line for the slide protection.

19. Mags

you don't have to cycle through... You can hold the circle and then use the stick or D pad to get to a player quicker.